Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Upper-Intermediate »
»
Unit 097 Similes

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 09:22
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 097 Similes - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 097 Similes
Unit 097 Similes
readeralexeyДата: Вторник, 19.03.2024, 00:55 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Below are two famous treatments of fixed similes in fiction. Can you think of other similar (pun unintended) instances or write a similar (again!) piece yourself, using examples from the unit?

"Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
Mind! I don’t mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country’s done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail." (Charles Dickens. A Christmas Carol)

"A Mad Tea-Party
There was a table set out under a tree in front of the house, and the March Hare and the Hatter were having tea at it: a Dormouse was sitting between them, fast asleep, and the other two were using it as a cushion, resting their elbows on it, and talking over its head. `Very uncomfortable for the Dormouse,' thought Alice; `only, as it's asleep, I suppose it doesn't mind.'" (Lewis Carroll. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)

lisaswan001Дата: Четверг, 28.03.2024, 11:02 | Сообщение # 2
Лейтенант
There are a lot of similes that are often used in fiction. They are a form of figurative language, which adds a creativity and complexity to the writing. They go beyond literal descriptions in order to activate the reader's imagination or to add a humorous effect to the text.

For example, there is a well-known expression: «busy as a bee». We can find this expression in a famous novel «Sense and Sensibility» by Jane Austin: «Lord, I have been as busy as a bee ever since dinner! »

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Четверг, 28.03.2024, 16:45

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 28.03.2024, 11:25 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант
This dialogue happened between me and my sister and I want to share this a bit crazy conversation:
— I have a Tinkoff debit card and I want to charge it but I'm in a Sberbank branch. This is as difficult as it can be...
— It's difficult because your debit card is as heavy as lead.
— Even the cash machine weighs less... It's as light as a feather.
— There's a lot of money inside...
— This is easy as a pie...

I also know a song which lyrics are just similies. When I was young I used to know it by heart and sing along to the piano. You can find the lyrics here: https://genius.com/Lenka-everything-at-once-lyrics

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 28.03.2024, 16:33

lisaswan001Дата: Четверг, 28.03.2024, 12:00 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
1. The winter wind howled, shaking the windows. The cabin stood firm, the walls AS HARD AS IRON.
2. The thief snatched the necklace IN A FLASH and disappeared into the crowd.
3. Chloe felt AS SICK AS A DOG.

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Четверг, 28.03.2024, 12:01

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 28.03.2024, 12:02 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
One of my favorite books is "Alice in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll. Amazing accurate similes, metaphors and funny puns abound in this book. For instance, a wonderful pun where Carrol plays with words "tale" and "tail": "Mine is a long and a sad tale! said the Mouse, turning to Alice, and sighing.
It IS a long tail, certainly, said Alice, looking down with wonder at the Mouse's tail - but why do you call it sad?" One of my favorite similes is about a heartbeat and eternity: "How vast is eternity? At times, a mere heartbeat". And last, but nor least example, that I wanna give is when Alice encounters a lizard named Bill: "I’m better now—but I’m a deal too flustered to tell you—all I know is, something comes at me like a Jack-in-the-box, and up I go like a sky rocket!". The lizard compares itself to a rocket, and sees his life as a Jack-in-the-box.
I love reading "Alice in Wonderland" and really enjoy its puns, metaphors and similes.

1. I want to tell you a story, in the end of which I was AS MAD AS A HATTER.  2. The other day I woke up in the morning, I slept well, LIKE A LOG and was as AS COOL AS A CUCUMBER. 3. My kids played with toys, they were AS GOOD AS GOLD and AS QUIET AS A MOUSE. 3. But all of a sudden my friend AS DRUNK AS LORD came, he WAS SICK AS A DOG. 4. When I saw him, I became AS WHITE AS A SHEET and didn't know what to do, but then suddenly AS QUICK AS A FLASH I told my children to play outside. 5. But they were AS DEAF AS A POST. 6. I felt AS SICK AS A PARROT. 7. LIKE A BEAR WITH A SORE HEAD so I shouted at everybody. 8. When my friend became AS SOBER AS A JUDGE, I told him everything, and his face went AS RED AS A BEETROOT.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Четверг, 28.03.2024, 16:39

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 097 Similes
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024