не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 13.05.2024, 23:45
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 079 Multi-word expressions - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 079 Multi-word expressions
Unit 079 Multi-word expressions
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 15.07.2022, 20:48 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Do you have anything that has seen better days? What are the prospects of it being substituted by something more up-to-date?

In public transport, do you prefer to be sitting or to let other people take the weight off their feet? Why?

How often do you feel under the weather? What do you do when it happens? Does it interfere with your plans / daily routine?

Have you ever pulled a fast one on anybody? Did it go well?

Are you usually in the red or in the black?

Do you tend to make a meal out of everything? If yes, why do you think this is the case?

Do you agree that most politicians are on the make and therefore can not be trusted?

Are there things you tend to make heavy weather of?

Describe a situation when you were barking up the wrong tree.

Write a story using as many expressions from the unit as possible.

Write a story illustrating one of the expressions from the unit (its meaning, etymology, use).

Draw a picture illustrating one of the idioms (like in ex. 79.2) and post a copy of it in the forum.

yarovaya02Дата: Среда, 31.08.2022, 23:48 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Are there things you tend to make heavy weather of?

Frankly speaking, I think that I am making heavy weather of learning English. I know it probably sounds strange We are studying English, which is a profound language, and still I think that I I haven’t made significant progress.

M. Lomonosov thought that knowing two foreign languages is trivial and that there is nothing complicated in learning ten languages. Lomonosov himself who couldn’t write until he was 14, could speak about 10 languages when he became mature.

A. Griboedov spoke three languages in his childhood, and as an adult he could speak six foreign languages.

L. Tolstoy knew several foreign languages as well, and he thought that a person needs about three months to apperceive a new one.

--

I tried to explain her the rule, but she got the wrong end of the stick. Nevertheless she passed her exam and she was over the moon. She was so happy, she was as good as gold.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 22.04.2024, 21:03

tsvioletta17Дата: Четверг, 01.09.2022, 00:44 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник

This summer was really colorful and intense. I enjoyed every day of this awesome time. I worked a lot not to be in the red. Truth be told I am happy that I did not feel under the weather almost all summer. I had time to visit two cities: Nizhniy Novgorod and Kazan. They were unforgettable emotions.

I have learned some life lessons. For instance, I stopped making a meal out of everything and poking my nose in other's people
 buisness. I left behind all people who were a pain in the neck and met new friends who are as good as gold. Thank God we can live our wonderful life!

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 18:45

sasavasl15Дата: Четверг, 01.09.2022, 06:24 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник

It was a bright spring morning, a young couple was walking in the park. At first glance, it was impossible to notice that something was wrong, but if you look closer, you could notice the frowning eyebrows of the woman and the confused face of the man. It was all about the morning incident - the couple had a fight, and reconciliation was a remote possibility.

And now the woman was walking and feeling down in the dumps. She didn't understand how anyone could be such a pain in the neck. The man thought that his wife made a meal out of everything, and that he was not as daft as a brush, as she said in the morning. So they walked through the park in a silence that tormented both of them.

-----------------------------
He WAS OVER THE MOON with happiness! His son is AS GOOD AS GOLD. He's in big trouble - HE'S IN THE RED.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Пятница, 26.04.2024, 16:06

marichernaya911Дата: Четверг, 01.09.2022, 10:44 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник

It was a cold winter day of the 28th of January, when the air was sharp because of the frost. James felt under the weather since the very morning. He didn’t feel down in the dumps, and he was not in the red, no. Just that was the day of his Birthday, and on that day every year he felt ill. Like his soul and body were trying to suit new age.

In the office where James worked, everyone was nice with him all the day long. “Just as good as gold” – he thought. The boss granted him with premium pay and let him make a move an hour earlier – “Despite the fact you are making heavy weather of your account!”. The secretary complimented his favorite jacket – dark brown, with white handkerchief in the pocket, as worn a quarter of a century ago. “It has seen better days, but thank you” – replied James.

On the nooning hour James treated colleagues to delicious pies. “My wife baked it, help yourself”.

However, now James was hurrying home, breathing with the frosty air and carrying a bag of tangerines in his hand – for his little daughter.

“Happy Birthday, daddy!” – she exclaimed when James came in. “Happy New Year, James” – said his wife with a smile. “Everyone in the kindergarten knows that you have a birthday. Go and take weight off your feet, I’ve made festive dinner, come and see”.

That was a cold winter day of the 28th of January, and the air in the flat was full with light and smell of tangerines. James felt over the moon as he was finally home.

--
Johann used to make a meal out of everything. However, that irritated her brother very much, as he was very reserved and talked little. So when his sister kept silent he found her just as good as gold.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Вторник, 20.12.2022, 00:13

veronikachernykh15Дата: Четверг, 01.09.2022, 12:37 | Сообщение # 6
Майор
Do you agree that most politicians are on the make and therefore can not be trusted?

Speaking about politics, ordinary people often cannot even guess about the plans and real intentions of the top. Among the people there are always many versions and rumors -truthful and not. But the only thing that unites politicians and their "subjects" is that they are all people. So the vices common to ordinary people are also characteristic of politicians. And from experience in everyone's life, we know how blinding the presence of power can be. If a person has more power than others, he or she may not know his or her limits.Such blindness, of course, will not lead the state to a prosperity, but to think only that all politicians selfish and mercantile would also be a mistake. Because we know from the course of history that highly moral people are also found among politicians and not only those who simply lust for power.

---------------------------
She doesn't FEEL anymore DOWN IN THE DUMPS as she is going to begin a new life soon. She will not be anymore a PAIN IN THE NECK for her parents but for her future husband. So she is OVER THE MOON now.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Четверг, 01.09.2022, 14:29

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Четверг, 01.09.2022, 12:52 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
How often do you feel under the weather? What do you do when it happens? Does it interfere with your plans / daily routine?

My mood often changes. It largely depends on external factors. But still, I'm more of an optimist than a pessimist. Sometimes I feel under the weather, and, unfortunately, my plans may be disrupted because of this.

It's easy to inspire and motivate me to do something, but just as easily this motivation can be broken by my bad mood and apathy. In such cases, I feel down in the dumps because I lose all desire to do anything and I know that I have seen better days. When I'm feeling down, I usually go into a shell, I need to be alone with my thoughts and problems that are bothering me. I'd rather survive everything on my own than seek help or spend time with friends to distract myself from worries.

For many people, bad weather becomes the cause of a bad mood. But it seems to me that nature does not have bad weather. I'm over the moon because autumn has come. Greyness and rain make me feel better.

Добавлено (01.09.2022, 12:59)
---------------------------------------------
1 Driving school exams are a PAIN IN THE NECK.
2 I FEEL DOWN IN THE DUMPS because I couldn't pass them the first time.
3 I’m afraid I’m MAKING HEAVY WEATHER of my driving.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Четверг, 15.12.2022, 12:14

amasaltsevaДата: Четверг, 08.09.2022, 00:25 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
An autumnal evening. Grey and sluggish. A man is sitting on a sofa holding his head in his hands. It looks as if he feels under the weather. His thoughts:

How difficult it is to be a human being: to think and to feel. That’s a blessing and a curse. Yesterday I was over the moon. Everything seemed intelligible and clear. Everything had sense. The world was harmless, open, jubilant. One’s will and I am slain. One’s word and now I feel down in the dumps. How does it work? Why do the objects which were smiling at me yesterday this morrow look hostile? Oh, I appeared to be as daft as a brush. Why did I get the wrong end of the stick? I’m at a loss and in blues. My thoughts are sucking me into a swamp. My heart’s illness is terminal.

-----------------------------------------------
Everyone loves Kate, she is said to be AS GOOD AS GOLD. I used to think the same, but then we got closer, and I realized she was quite the opposite and felt myself AS DAFT AS A BRUSH. Kate is IN THE RED, she is a real PAIN IN THE NECK. The only thing I can’t understand is why I am the only one to see that - everyone keeps HOLDING OF THE WRONG END OF THE STICK.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 19:54

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 079 Multi-word expressions
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024