Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Upper-Intermediate »
»
Unit 095-096 Formal and informal words

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 06:07
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 095-096 Formal and informal words - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 095-096 Formal and informal words
Unit 095-096 Formal and informal words
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 15.07.2022, 20:18 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Write two dialogues using formal and informal words. Play upon the effects of formality / informality. (The content of the two dialogues may be identical or different; the speakers may both use the same or different functional styles.) Let your classmates guess the situation and the relationship between the interlocutors.

Which English words do you know that are very informal or are slang? Where did you encounter them? Write a story of your first encounter with one or two of such words, providing the initial context of their use, and some other illustrations from open sources.

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 07.09.2022, 19:18 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Unit 95
- Oh, my old fellow, hi!
- Good evening…
- I just went by and noticed that you’re standing there!
- That’s interesting.
- What ABOUT your KIDS? are they doing well?
- IN RELATION TO MY OFFSPRING, they are just wonderful.
- Cool! But, you know, my brilliant plan WENT PEAR-SHAPED, as usual. Can you remember how we worked hard, but everything WENT WRONG?
- Well, ON THE BASIS OF my memories, my ideas sometimes also WENT AMISS.
- Yeah, that’s life, my old chap! I must go further RIGHT AWAY. CHEERIO!
- GOODBYE. (What an unusual situation! I even don’t remember this man, but it seems to me that he knows me perfectly…)

- Hi! How were your holidays?
- Just amazing! Our PLACE in Crimea was just gorgeous! And you know what? I TRIED windsurfing!
- And I scuba diving! Oh, he is coming! BYE-BYE, dear! Good morning, sir. I ATTEMPTED to complete this task on time but I wasn’t able to do that ON ACCOUNT OF the topic. Could you please explain once again one issue IN TERMS OF molecular biology?

My sentences

The forest fires started on the 7th of August in Ryazan Oblast and lasted for a month. This phenomenon OCCURS FREQUENTLY and spreads IMMEDIATELY, IN PARTICULAR, in summer. ON ACCOUNT OF forest fires those living in Moscow smelled smog. It was forbidden to go for a walk in forest areas UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. All the ATTEMPTS to stop the fires WENT AMISS. However, the government SOUGHT to help the residents.

Unit 96

- You know what happened? My poor kitten is in trouble!
- Oh, dear! What happened?
- It suffers from insomnia! It just can’t KIP! I should do something immediately!
- Surely! We can go to the VET!
- Yeah, I’ve already called the vet LAB. The number I found in the PAPER.
- Really? I didn’t know that you have a PHONE in your flat.
- Oh no, I used my MOBILE.
- And what did they say there?
- They said: do nothing UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. In fact, I’m sure this QUACK wants to send me to a SHRINK! But it is how to deliver my cat there that I’m worried about.
- By TUBE, of course! It’s the easiest way.
- Oh no, I’m afraid of COPS as I don’t have a special carrying case. You know, you can’t go by tube with a cat in your hands.
- Indeed! But what about a CAB?
- Are you joking? I’m a poor student, I can only buy a SARNIE and a CUPPA for my lunch, not a cab!
- I’ve come up with an idea! My HUBBY will give you a lift.
- Just wonderful! Thanks! CHEERIO!

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 06.02.2023, 15:34

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 24.10.2022, 22:17 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
- I shall kiss you ERE I say you FAREWELL.
- Oh, good Grief! Don’t make drama.
- My MISTRESS, I’m leaving our RESIDENCE for the whole day. ALAS we will be parted.
- What was I thinking about when I agreed to become your wife? Please, stop making fun of me.
- My SOLE Love, I can see a TINGE of melancholy in your noble eyes. Why are you SORROWFUL? I’m seeking for the truth. Tell me, I PLEAD you for the answer.
- Oh. Alright, I’ll play by your rules. Why am I SORROWFUL? How am I to put it? My OFFSPRING didn’t deign to prepare their home tasks. This is nonetheless VENIAL for it OCCURS FREQUENTLY. TO MY REGRET, this is BARELY the matter of me being MOURNFUL. My dearest husband has ATTAINED A SUPREME STATUS... of craziness.
- Hm.
- You seem to be BEWILDERED.
- And you look SMUG. Right. You win.
- Ha-ha
---------------------------------
I ATTEMPTED to handle it IMMEDIATELY, however failed ON ACCOUNT of my sluggishness which OCCURS FREQUENTLY, unfortunately. Now I’m SEEKING for the best decision.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 19:59

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 24.10.2022, 22:17 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
informal

1 The COPS are coming.
2 Man, we're dead.
1 They are close, I can hear their sirens.
2 We gotta pull out.
1 Grab the bag and run! I'll only have a quick look into the safe.
2 You kidding? Wanna join the NICK?
1 Fine, let's run through the employee entrance.

formal

1 According to police, intruders entered a central bank with a firearm, opening fire several times into the ceiling before the surrounding people fled the building. My colleague Jake Gibson is currently on the scene. Good afternoon, Jake!

2 Good afternoon, Susan! Yes, right now you can see the bank building and several police cars in my background. And forensic experts will arrive on the scene shortly. At the moment, police officers are SEEKING evidence to further identify the perpetrators and their current location.

1 Are there any facts about this incident known yet?

2 According to witnesses, these were two men wearing masks. The officers ATTEMPTED to view the security camera footage, but the offenders cut off the entire electrical system, and for this reason, no recordings were found.

1 And are there any casualties? The perpetrators were known to be armed.

2 As a result of the gunshots, no one was injured. The police found pistol ammunition and a holster, but the perpetrators apparently took the weapons with them.

1 Is the amount of money taken out by the offenders determined?

2 Yes, the men took almost $600,000 in cash out of the bank.

BOB'S YOUR UNCLE

The first time I heard this phrase was while watching one of the videos on YouTube, but I didn't get the meaning of it. Literally, it sounds like "Bob is your uncle" and has an interesting meaning! The phrase is used to describe a process that may initially seem incredibly complicated, but in the end it isn't. It's also a slang expression that can be translated as «Voila» or the phrase «дело в шляпе».

Добавлено (24.10.2022, 22:27)
---------------------------------------------
He IMMEDIATELY grabbed the car keys and ran out into the yard. She started breathing heavily while talking on the phone, and he perfectly knows that this means the beginning of a panic attack, and she FREQUENTLY had them. He ATTEMPTED to call her neighbour to give the girl first aid at once.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 18.12.2022, 13:00

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 25.10.2022, 07:10 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
A:Tony! Hi! Great to see you.
B:Well, I was just passing and I thought I'd drop in and say 'hello'.
A:Come on in!
B:You're sure? You're not too busy?
A:Never too busy to talk to you.
B:Thanks Jo. It'd be really nice to have a chat.
A:Fantastic! Let me take your coat.

A good PAL and a MATE of mine is BRAINY. You can trust him, IN, PARTICULARLY, what he says. Because he says the truth, not the dodgy.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 15:28

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 25.10.2022, 10:29 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
- Hallo, mister Smith!

- Good morning, mister Rickman! It's nice to see you!

- Thank you! I have heard, mister Smith, that our offsprings at school are about to be expelled! Some incidents frequently occured this year with my son's behaviour, but, to be honest, I have never thought that he would fool together with your exemplary son. What's do you presume as a reason for this?

- Mister Rickman, I do not think that I'll provide you with exact reasons. Teenagers are always so vagarious. However, I suppose they did not do anything reprehensible and are just trying to seek answers to fundamental questions, as we also did when were children as they are. Just they utilize different ways to express themselves.

- When does the train leave?

- In particular, here are two available trains that suit us. One of them departs immediately. Another one - in an hour and a half.

- What a pity! I knew that we will be late!

- I would rather recommend you not to make predictions in relation to such sphere as train leaving. As thoughts usually tend to materialize.

--
He attempted to jump. He jumped again and again, but nothing happened until he understood the fundamental reason of his inability to fly - he didn't believed in his strength. And as he did, immediately he flew up.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Вторник, 20.12.2022, 00:00

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 25.10.2022, 10:46 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
FORMAL DIALOGE DIALOGUE

A: Good morning, Professor Black. How are you?

B: Good morning, Paul. Nice to meet you. Good to see you. I am doing well. And you?

A: I’m doing great, thank you. Meet my younger brother Tim. I beg your pardon, can I take a little of your time?

В: It’s a pleasure to meet you, Tim. Of course you can!

A: Tim is thinking about applying to this college. He has a few questions. Would you mind telling us about the process, please?

В: It won't cause me any difficulties. Please stop by my office next week.

А: You are incredibly kind, professor. Thank you so much for helping us.

В: Don’t mention it. Hopefully, I will be able to answer your questions!

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Пятница, 16.12.2022, 20:21

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 01.11.2022, 11:49 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
А: Good afternoon, I would like to discuss writing an academic paper in a couple of minutes, would you mind?
В: Of course not, I'm all for it. Finally, we will be able to discuss the fundamental linguistic aspects. I started seeking new research on this topic, and I didn't find quite a bit.
А: We need to start immediately. I hope we won't have any problems that frequently occur with the equipment here.
B: Yes, I hope so too, the last time I utilised it, I had to reboot every two hours.

A:
Hi, What’s going on?
B: Not much.
A: Did you hear what happened to that celeb the other day?
В: Yep, the cops’ve been chasing her all night and it seems now she's going to the nick.
A: Yea, …Wanna come over for dinner tonight?
B: Yes, that’d be cool!

The first time I heard slang words was when I was watching the series. The Russian voiceover hasn't come out yet, so I've included a subtitle version for myself. I don't remember exactly what kind of series it was, but there were words like Wanna, It's easy peasy and others.

---------------------------------------------------
1. We will not ESTABLISH a dangerous precedent.
2. You think only IN TERMS OF persons.
3. Dad says ON ACCOUNT OF atmosphere.
4. "What about a hundred QUID?

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Пятница, 26.04.2024, 16:12

sensualpie111Дата: Вторник, 01.11.2022, 13:44 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
As we know, most of the slang is used in the social media these days. I, as an active user of social networks oriented to the English-speaking audience, such as Twitter or English-language YouTube, very often come across the use of slang by native speakers. For the first time I encountered slang on Twitter, it happened when I was about 17 years old, and at that time, only websites on the Internet, such as Urban Dictionary, helped me understand what exactly was meant by unusual abbreviations like "TBH" or "ASAP". Here is a list of a few of the most commonly used slang words nowadays:
  • Cap - Fake or a lie
  • Curve - To reject someone romantically (related to "ghosting")
  • A Karen - A disparaging way to describe a petty middle-aged woman, who is rude, especially to people who work in the service industry. (For example, saying, "What a Karen," about someone who returns their drink at a restaurant for not having enough ice.)
  • Ship - You might "ship" two people together, as if you think they should be a couple; derived from the word relationship
  • Simp - Someone who does way too much for the person they like; to have a huge crush on someone
  • Stan - An overzealous fan of a particular group or celebrity
  • Yassify - To apply several beauty filters to a picture until the person is totally unrecognizable
  • Slay - To be extremely stylish or successful
  • Low-Key - Added to a feeling or desire to downplay it (i.e. "I'm low-key freaking out")

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 03:54

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 15.11.2022, 09:08 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
Hi, MATE!
-How are you doing?
-I was HONKING (being violently sick), but I am well.
-Oh, poor you!
-That’s ok. Shall we go and have some NOSH (tasty food)
- With great pleasure, we see each other so rarely, so we haven’t opportunity for YAKKING (Talking too much)
- And I have so much to tell you.

antonryadinskiДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 00:01 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
Unit 95

Dialogue 1: Informal

A: Hey man, how's it going?

B: Not so great, my plan WENT WRONG.

A: What HAPPENED?

B: I don't know, everything just WENT AMISS. I'm gonna try again though, RIGHT AWAY.

A: Good for you, man. You'll find the right PLACE eventually.
-----------------------------------------------
Dialogue 2: Formal

A: Good afternoon, how may I assist you?

B: Yes, I was wondering if you could provide some information ON THE BASIS OF my recent purchase.

A: Certainly, what exactly do you need to know?

B: I believe there may have been some issues with the product, as things WENT PEAR-SHAPED shortly after purchase. Can you tell me what WENT WRONG?

A: I see. ON ACCOUNT OF your purchase history, I can provide you with a detailed report of any potential problems that may have WENT AMISS. Please provide me with your order number and I will ATTEMPT to gather the necessary information.

B: Thank you. IN TERMS OF the order number, it's 123456. BYE-BYE.

------------------------------------------------
sentences:

1.     I ATTEMPTED to cook a new recipe for dinner, but it WENT PEAR-SHAPED when I realized I didn't have all the ingredients, EVERYTHING WENT WRONG.
2.     ON ACCOUNT OF the heavy rain, the concert had to be cancelled RIGHT AWAY and I had to say BYE-BYE to my plans for the evening.
3.     ON THE BASIS OF her excellent qualifications and experience, she was offered the job RIGHT AWAY.
4.     IN TERMS OF climate change, we need to take immediate action before THINGS GO AMISS and the planet suffers irreparable damage.

-------------------------
Unit 96

A: Hey, dude! What's up?
B: Not much, just got back from the VET with my dog.
A: Oh no, is everything okay?
B: Yeah, just a check-up. But on the way back, we saw some COPS chasing a guy on foot.
A: Wow, that's crazy. Did you take a CAB here?
B: Nah, we took the TUBE. Cheaper than a CAB, you know?
A: Yeah, I hear you. I'm starving, though. Want to grab a SARNIE?
B: Sure thing! Let me just grab my PHONE. Alright, I'm ready. CHEERIO!

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 14.03.2024, 11:28 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
Write two dialogues using formal and informal words. Play upon the effects of formality / informality. (The content of the two dialogues may be identical or different; the speakers may both use the same or different functional styles.) Let your classmates guess the situation and the relationship between the interlocutors.
— I can't wait any longer! We need to do this right away!
— Heeey, what's wrong with you?
— Get up and get your bike! Now!
— Wouldn't it be easier to take a cab?
— Look at you, lazy-bones! Was there too much telly yesterday?
— No, I'm up-to-date. Nobody watches TV in this century. I have my phone.
— Mhm, much better. Give this back to me, get up and go to school or I will call the cops and they will take you to the nick!
— MOM!
Which English words do you know that are very informal or are slang? Where did you encounter them? Write a story of your first encounter with one or two of such words, providing the initial context of their use, and some other illustrations from open sources.
I can't really remember the first time I heard real slang, but I do remember when I learned about slang abbreviations. It was a real surprise for me because I couldn't understand any of the words! 
Here's an example of a text message: "Hey, LTNS! IMU. PLC2NYTXO" 
The message means "Hey, long time no see! I missed you. Please call me tonight. Kisses." 
It's absolutely impossible to understand what the message means if you don't use slang often or if you don't check it in a special slang dictionary. You can find more interesting slang shortenings here: https://lingualeo.com/ru....repiske
1) You need to UTILISE this TECHNIQUE in the right way. 2) These are FUNDAMENTAL combinations of actions that could save your life. 3) What can the government do IN TERMS OF predicting the fores fires. 4) They need to show people that there have been several ATTEMPTS to SEEK a solution to this problem.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 14.03.2024, 11:52

veronikachernykh15Дата: Четверг, 14.03.2024, 11:43 | Сообщение # 13
Майор
Formal dialogue
  • Good evening Mr. Poe I would like to discuss with you my course paper!
  • Hello? Am I really in relation to your course paper?
  • Yes I must finish it in one month so we should seek literature for it.
  • That’s the situation that frequently occurs. On account of my method of working with students you do everything by yourself. I don’t have to provide you with literature -  you should utilise internet and libraries.
  • Clear! The situation went amiss. Thank you for establishing your involvement and knowledge.

Informal dialogue
  •  Oh hello Prof! I’m here to discuss my course paper with you. Sorry for being late, the tube is not working well today.
  • Hi! One second, I will answer my phone. So why are you here once again?
  • To discuss my course …
  • Oh clear, take these books but return them later and take two pounds and buy me a coffee please.
  • Thank you so much! I Deal. See you!
  • Cheerio

It seems to me that a person who studies English and does not live in an English-speaking environment may encounter slang and informal vocabulary only with the help of movies, series and precisely videos on YouTube. Well, I'm not an exception. I can hardly remember a last informal word that I’ve learned from the series, but Ive noticed that in British series, despite the informality of speech, more sophisticated collocations are used. American TV series are full of slang expressions.

Very often I come across the expressions "go nuts" and "bananas", which are almost the same in meaning. It seems to me that these are
 quite hilarious words describing the insane state through food. One of the opinions that the expression “go bananas” derives from monkeys who go crazy with anticipation when they see a bunch of bananas.

Sentences
IN RELATION TO your condition you don’t need to take an exam IMMEDIATELY. We now SEEK an answer with student’s union whe you will be able to sit the exam. We will send a letter to your ABODE. Please PROVIDE us WITH information if something changes. We will ATTEMPT to ESTABLISH the best conditions for you.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Четверг, 14.03.2024, 11:54

lisaswan001Дата: Четверг, 14.03.2024, 12:22 | Сообщение # 14
Лейтенант
FORMAL 
  • «Dear Mr. Forsyte, I am writing to inquire about the status of your Project report. According to our previous discussions, the deadline for the report is tomorrow. Could you please immediately provide a progress update ? Looking forward to hearing from you soon.»

• «Dear Mr. Smith, thank you for your E-mail. I am writing to confirm that my report will be ready by the designated deadline. I am currently finishing the last part of the report and plan to send the full version within the next couple of hours. Please let me know if you have any further questions.»

INFORMAL 
  • «Hey Steve, what’s up? Just checking in about your report. You gotta send it tomorrow, remember? Can you send me a draft or something? Just checking»

• «Oh, hey, mate! I am finishing it now, just doing some final touches and then I’ll send it over. If you want, phone me.»

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Четверг, 14.03.2024, 16:39

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 14.03.2024, 12:36 | Сообщение # 15
Лейтенант
Formal dialogue:
- Excuse me, sir...
- I suppose you go amiss, sir. It is not allowed to be here.
- Sorry. I have been looking for my offspring all day long now! He have ran away from our abode.
- Oh, you must be exhausted.
- Yes, I am indeed. Have you see him?
- No, I haven't, sir. Goodbye. Have a good day!
- Goodbye.

Informal dialogue:
- Hey, mate!
- You went pear-shaped, dude. Leave this spot right now.
- Sorry, mate. I'm looking for my kiddo. It  have ran away from our place this morning. Have you see it?
- I haven't. Bye-bye!
- Cheerio!

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Четверг, 14.03.2024, 16:45

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 095-096 Formal and informal words
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024