Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Upper-Intermediate »
»
Unit 094 Other common verbs

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 08:43
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 094 Other common verbs - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 094 Other common verbs
Unit 094 Other common verbs
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 25.05.2022, 13:35 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1 Have you ever turned down an offer or invitation that you later regretted?

2 If you were about to buy a house, what sort of things would you want to look at first?

3 Have you ever done something because you felt it might be useful in the long run?

4 What - if anything - stops public transport from running in your country?

5 Do you think it is possible for someone’s heart to be broken?

6 Have you ever resolved to turn over a new leaf? In what way(s)?

7 Do you have any particular jobs that you must see to today? If so, what?

8 Has your home ever been broken into? What happened?

9 Can you think of something that has happened to you recently that turned out very differently from how you had expected?

vernik04Дата: Четверг, 02.06.2022, 16:15 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
5 Do you think it is possible for someone’s heart to be broken?

It’s surely possible for someone’s HEART TO BE BROKEN. Of course, it’s not physical, but metaphorical. A heartache can be even harder than physical pain.

I think I have broken THE RECORD for amount of instances of BREAKING my HEART. It’s like I had a million of hearts. Usually it happens when people LET YOU DOWN, especially the close ones hurt harder. I tried so many times to LOOK INTO why this happens.

Sometimes we RUN INTO different people. I believe that everything happens for a reason. There were so many people who TURNED UP so unexpectedly. People can SEE THINGS that don’t reflect the real relations between them and the ones they LOOK UP TO. Sometimes people TURN OUT to be not like we think they are. They can easily BREAK THEIR PROMISES. It hurts and BREAKS our HEARTS and we have to LET GO OF such people.

But we have to LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE. Every person in our life gives us an unforgettable experience, gives us emotions, changes us. Who knows how many times we’ll BREAK our hearts IN THE LONG RUN? We cannot be ready for it, but we can TURN OVER A NEW LEAF and hope that there will be the people who treat our hearts gently.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Пятница, 17.06.2022, 13:55

abalakinan27Дата: Четверг, 02.06.2022, 19:36 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Have you ever resolved to turn over a new leaf? In what way(s)?

Once I was given a book as a present which is called Miracle Morning. It is about the habit of getting up early and how SEEING ABOUT it performs miracles. The story goes that your life would improve due to your rightly scheduled morning   routine. The secret of making a go here is developing yourself in hours when your brain is fresh and TURNED UP to work. If your dreams have never been fulfilled you should LOOK INTO the matter and LOOK AT the reasons. Usually the answer is the lack of time. But getting up early your life can change IN THE LONG RUN. You can TURN OVER A NEW LEAF and start doing favourite things concerning your personal aims before you go to your work or study.

Now I am struggling with getting up early but I have experienced that making yourself get up prepares you to overcome the difficulties, after such early getting ups you feel like a hero and you can make a good profit of it.

To sum up, I want to TURN OVER A NEW LEAF setting my goals and achieving it after taking my end year exam.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Среда, 24.08.2022, 18:59

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 03.06.2022, 15:52 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
1. Have you ever turned down an offer or invitation that you later regretted?

One Sunday, on the day of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, I came to church. Everything was just as usual. Before the Liturgy I lit candles and venerated the icons.

And suddenly I was interrupted. An altar server RAN INTO me. I heard him saying that the Cross Procession was planned on that day. He suggested I hold the ancient icon of St.Nicholas during the Procession. I didn’t have enough time to LOOK INTO the matter. I was just afraid because I had never took part in it. That’s why I TURNED DOWN his idea.

However, 10 seconds later I questioned myself: “Why have I done that? Why have I refused this offer?”. I LOOKED ON THE BRIGHT SIDE. The icon wasn’t heavy or large, so I could easily carry it. Moreover, IN THE LONG RUN it would be nice to recall my participation in such a great event. The icon was really ancient and without even an icon-case. How dared I to TURN it DOWN?

I would have been glad to TURN OVER A NEW LEAF and accept this offer. But the server went on suggesting others help during the Procession. In 15 minutes I really longed for a chance to say “yes”.

And surprisingly, it TURNED OUT that nobody wanted to carry the icon. And the server again made me the same suggestion. That time I agreed with my heart full of joy.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Вторник, 26.07.2022, 18:34

antonryadinskiДата: Суббота, 04.06.2022, 14:41 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
Have you ever resolved to turn over a new leaf? In what way(s)?

All my life I wasn’t into sport. And this year I decided TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF and to take up jogging and running. I SAW THINGS to be very difficult but it TURNED OUT to be very easy. I wouldn’t say that it TURNS UP very easy as there are still certain difficulties. Before I took up running, I looked up many different videos on YouTube, especially those which tell about how to breathe during your training. Nowadays I have seen just about all the rules and I can run for long distances. For example, last week I BROKE MY PERSONAL RECORD, I run 2.5 km, that’s 17 minutes without any stops.

I always try to LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE and always LOOK FORWARD TO hearing good news. SEEING MANY THINGS negatively isn’t nice because IN THE LONG RUN they can TURN OUT to be good. Don’t LET others DOWN and LET GO OF the bad thoughts, try TURNING  OVER A NEW LEAF when something TURNS UP to be not as you wanted it to be.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 10:58

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 12:02 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
What - if anything - stops public transport from running in your country?

Have you ever been interested in the question, what stops public transport from running in our country? Definitely, you have, as have all Russians. I have LOOKED INTO the problem in detail and have come to a conclusion that it is the roads. Each year it looks as if the government has decided to TURN OVER A NEW LEAF, BREAK THE RECORD and fix the roads finally.
However, it all finishes with the fact that they BREAK THEIR PROMISES and don't fix anything. Instead, all summer consists of one huge nightmare of disturbing sounds and horrible looking houses.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 11:31

anastasiadregan864Дата: Среда, 08.06.2022, 00:20 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
2 If you were about to buy a house, what sort of things would you want to look at first?

I have always dreamed of owning my own house, so if I had the opportunity to buy it, I would BE LOOKING FORWARD to it.
I would LOOK AT it very carefully. If it is not just newly-built, I would like to meet the past owners, TO SEE ABOUT the meeting with them to find out the reasons why they are moving out, how they lived here. I think that a good relationship with the owners is very important, because they
can tell not only all the pros, but also the cons of the house. You don't have TO BE POSITIVE all the time, especially when it comes to buying something expensive, so you need to pay attention to all the details. I would RUN OVER the house several times to make sure everything is OK.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 15.06.2022, 22:20

tsvioletta17Дата: Понедельник, 31.10.2022, 23:55 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
Do you think it is possible for someone’s heart to be broken?

I guess one time at least once everyone feels this pain when the heart is breaking. We are used to using this expression in a figurative sense when our love is not shared. But is it just that? Your heart can also be broken by a friend, the death of a pet, unfulfilled dreams or disappointment.  But where did it come from, before the romantics made a metaphor out of this expression?

After looking on the Internet, I found that this is how Hippocrates described the death of the tyrant of Syracuse, he expressed it that way: it came from a "broken heart." Most likely, according to modern concepts, it was a myocardial infarction or a stop from thrombosis. People of a subtle nature romanticized the human disease, and now, with non-reciprocal love, our heart literally breaks... or when there are no sausages in the dough in the dining room. canteen

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Суббота, 17.12.2022, 00:07

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 01.11.2022, 11:12 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
Have you ever done something because you felt it might be useful in the long run?

I suppose there are two things in my life that I was aware of as something that could be useful in the long run.

The first is studying at an art school. After graduating from music school, I decided that I wanted to turn over a new leaf, learn how to draw according to the rules, get a base in this area and further develop it. It's been a long and difficult four years, many times it seemed to me that my strength was running out, that it wasn't worth it and I wouldn't need it. But now looking back, I understand that now this base helps me in my work.

There is also a second aspect - it is writing academic papers with the director of my school and participating in various conferences. I learned how to look at various linguistic works, peruse them and find the necessary information, and much more, which now helps when writing term papers or essays.

-----------------------------------

1. You have TO LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE.
2. I got overexcited, I must have LET IT SLIP.
3. And what happens to people who BREAK THEIR PROMISES?
4. You know that I am in no position TO TURN DOWN anything.

Прикрепления: 3978503.jpg (207.0 Kb) · IMG_8600.heic (530.0 Kb) · 0543617.jpg (297.8 Kb) · 9697471.jpg (148.4 Kb) · 3453662.jpg (278.6 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Пятница, 26.04.2024, 16:13

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 01.11.2022, 13:17 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
Have you ever resolved to turn over a new leaf? In what way?

Recently I have TURNED OVER A NEW LEAF, although I’m not ruling out that it just seems to be so. Well, actually the problem is that this kind of “renewing” happens too often in my life. Or I would rather say, the feeling that I need to turn over a new leaf chases me. I guess it is so because the idea of getting something new helps me to breathe and gives me sense and reason which I sometimes lose. In this case starting anew is vital - what a nice way to revive. When I’ve RUN OUT of any power and need to SEE TO strengthening of my own I “turn on an update”.

As I’ve said, I’ve made a fresh start. I can’t name exacts issues which would characterise my metamorphosis. At least because it isn’t notable enough. I just feel it. I have an idiosyncratic feature of the beginning of “a new life” - that’s of me writing something new and feeling invigorated.

-----------------------------------------------
He LET IT SLIP that she BROKE HIS HEART but BROKE OFF in the middle of his speech. Well, everyone actually knew what had happened: he proposed to her, she TURNED IT DOWN and decided to TURN OVER A NEW LEAF. He was trying to LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE but it was very difficult.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Суббота, 17.12.2022, 00:17

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 14.11.2022, 16:47 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник

For a long time, "heartbreak" was considered more of a metaphor than a real problem.

The majority believes that a broken heart is just a figurative expression that is used to describe unpleasant feelings caused in most cases by parting with a loved one. A person who has had his heart broken, especially if s/he is extremely sensitive and anxious, in case s/he has been dumped by a partner, will most likely not be able TO LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE for a long time. As I said, it depends on the character of the person and is based on the fact that "depression" from a broken heart can last for years.

But medicine does have such a concept as "broken heart syndrome," a condition in which the left ventricle becomes very dilated and the contractility of the heart decreases. It usually occurs after the loss of a loved one and mostly affects women. Scientists LOOKED AT how the "broken heart" syndrome is related to the way the human brain deals with stress. After conducting the experiment, it TURNED OUT that the "broken heart" syndrome probably begins in the brain, which fails to cope with the settlement of stress. Scientists do not yet know whether psychological trauma altered people's brains in such a way that it led to heart damage, or whether they were predisposed to it in the first place.

What is clear, however, is that grief can have a very strong effect on the body.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 18.12.2022, 13:01

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 15.11.2022, 09:07 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник

The heart can be broken, because of sufferings it feels. “The Nightingale and the Rose” is a short romantic story by Oscar Wilde. First published in 1888 in the collection, The Happy Prince and Other Tales, the story follows a nightingale, and a young man determined to marry the girl he loves. It’s a story primarily about morality, sacrifice, and love.

The nightingale thinks that the Student understands her. She sheds her blood and dies by pressing herself against a thorn. The Student, ignorant to the nightingale’s sacrifice, takes up the rose and rushes to find the girl. The girl dismisses the Student because he’s poor, lowly, and unworthy of her. She chooses a lover who can buy her fancy jewelry instead.

sensualpie111Дата: Вторник, 15.11.2022, 12:28 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
If you were about to buy a house, what sort of things would you want to look at first?

If I were buying a house or apartment, I would pay attention to these important things:
First of all, I would look at the condition of the electrical wiring and water piping. When it comes to this area, you must not look on the bright side, as problematic wiring can lead to a fire, and bad pipes can lead to apartment flooding. It is also difficult and expensive to fix.

Then you should inspect the walls and the floor and check how even they are. This may seem unimportant at first, but in the long run, uneven walls and floors can cause a lot of problems and costs.

Then you should run over the vents and baseboards, as it will be unpleasant if insects or rodents then turn up from there.

Also, the place where the apartment or house is located is important. I would turn down options located in bad areas.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 03:51

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 06.12.2022, 18:28 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник
1 Have you ever turned down an offer or invitation that you later regretted?

On the day of Pentecost I came to the church where a priest I know serves.

I came there quite early, so that even the Hours had not started. However, the time was coming, and I was beginning to think, Why did they not start yet? At the very moment I thought about it, a priest came out from the altar. I knew him well, so did he. He came out and drew near me. He blessed me and then asked: "Can you read the Hours? We have run out of time, but the reader has not come yet". I was surprised, and felt even scared, as, unfortunately, I have never read the Hours in any church. Evidently, I turned the offer down, as I was afraid of making a mistake on the troparia.

I don't even know who got more upset because of my refusal. However, the reader suddenly turned up, running into some parishioner standing near the exit, then came to us, apologized to the priest for his delay, and started reading the Hours.

Then the priest silently entered the altar and the service started.

I was left distraught and regretful. I really wanted to serve at the service, but was unable to see to the reading in the church.

Nevertheless, now, after Liturgical classes at University, I am taught to read the Hours and serve other services. So I feel almost prepared for helping at services. Now I would not turn down the offer to help at the service. Yet, who knows whether I would be asked again to read the Hours?...

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Четверг, 25.04.2024, 00:13

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 10.12.2022, 00:56 | Сообщение # 15
Полковник
Having lost his inspiration, he RAN OUT of ideas. He tried to LOOK INTO the cause of his apathy and the lack of the «muse». The circumstances were BREAKING his HEART.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Суббота, 17.12.2022, 00:37

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 094 Other common verbs
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024