не предусмотрено.

Вторник, 14.05.2024, 00:30
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 075 Compound nouns 1: noun + noun - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 075 Compound nouns 1: noun + noun
Unit 075 Compound nouns 1: noun + noun
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 16:05 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Write a paragraph about one of the following, discussing its pros and cons and the issues involved:

credit card

luxury goods

rat race

pocket money (for children)

contact lens (vs glasses)

birth control

junk mail

junk food

fast food

race relations

the arms race

welfare state

generation gap

climate change

Give example of a soundbite in either English or Russian.

marichernaya911Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 10:29 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Pocket money is a thing every child dreams about. I personally had it in my childhood. So I have some thoughts about its pros and cons.

When a child has their own pocket money, they can afford to buy sweets or some nice little things for pleasure. Also they can buy presents for their parents and close ones. Moreover, having pocket money teaches a child to preserve their savings, appreciate money in general and understand its value. Of course, if their parents don't indulge them by giving them pocket money whenever and as much as they want.

At the same time, there are some negative sides. For example, saving pocket money can instill the love for money in a small child, which can grow into passionate desire of getting money when growing up. Also, if a child gets small amounts of money and quite rarely, it can make him or her greedy.

---
1. It is well-known that TEA BAGS are not really healthy drink. 2. When BLOOD PRESSURE is low, doctors prescribe drinking strong tea with sugar. 3. I live in the family where THE GENERATION GAP is really great, but nevertheless we understand each other.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:25

yarovaya02Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 13:04 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Nowadays the term „generation gap“ sounds as something obvious and evident. Nevertheless I would like to understand more deeply what that problem consists in.

Firstly, I‘d like to say that there are some clear distinctions between different generations, such as age, life experience, tastes and preferences, surrounding... But in my opinion that diversity is apparent, because it is only external, which is not so important as internal.

Secondly, I consider that inner world of relatives is similar. Having been brought up in a family, children follow their parents‘ steps on the same well-trodden path. They are taught of what is really important in life and what is secondary, minor. So moving forward in the same direction, a family supports and helps each other. If parents live a righteous life,  then children, looking at them, would follow their good example.

Thus, I suppose, if values of adults and youth coincide, then outer differences will serve not as a stumbling block, but as various ways to reaching the same aim.

--

He has a new car, I likes its STEERING WHEEL AND its WINDSCREEN. It has nice WINDSCREEN WIPERS as well. A BURGLAR ALARM is set in the car.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 21:56

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 11.04.2022, 12:45 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
It is known that fast food is considered very controversial.

Many people, if asked about their attitude to this food, will first of all name the disadvantages. For example, fast-food contains a lot of fat, sugar, oil, salt, mayonnaise and, obviously, calories, so the biggest disadvantage of fast-food is the negative impact it has on health. In addition, fast food is designed in such a way as to be addictive. People feel good when they eat fast-food, so they want to eat more. Fast food can also induce addiction in some people if consumed for a long enough period of time.

But, despite all the above, you should not look only for disadvantages in fast food, there are quite a lot of its advantages. When food is needed, it saves time, because even a quick home cooking takes 15-30 minutes, and a visit to a fast-food restaurant will reduce the need for time by half. The next argument "for" is an acceptable cost. It also happens that buying lunch at a fast-food restaurant costs less than if you went to the supermarket and bought food for cooking at home.

Of course, the best option is a measured diet with classic homemade food, but sometimes, if you really want, you can order fast-food, there will be no special harm to the body, and a portion of the hormones of joy received from delicious food, you can say, compensates for all the disadvantages of this ambiguous food.

Добавлено (11.04.2022, 13:09)
---------------------------------------------
Recently, my cousin and I were sitting in a fast food restaurant and we had to use cash (which we rarely use) because our CREDIT CARDS didn't work. It may sound ironic, but we ate burgers and a lot of other things and at the same time discussed the dangers of JUNK FOOD. The funny thing was that we competed for the harmful qualities of fast food with MINERAL WATER, because we bought several bottles.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Вторник, 07.06.2022, 20:18

veronikachernykh15Дата: Вторник, 12.04.2022, 13:08 | Сообщение # 5
Майор
Race relations

The problem of racism began in the 16th century with colonization. And as we know, not only Native Americans were colonized, but also the peoples of Africa, Asia, India and China. The number of slaves, as well as the number of those responsible for the ruined lives, is countless.

Five centuries have passed since then, and if slavery was abolished in the United States in the 19th century, the restrictions, of course, were not lifted. It wasn't until the second half of the 20th century, when African-Americans gained enough strength to fight brutal oppression and violence. But despite this, in the 21st century, we see that African Americans are still facing violence and are forced to fight for equality.

If we talk about Russia, then on the part of our country there was no mass enslavement of other peoples, as on the part of the British. But do not forget about serfdom. We managed to ruin the lives of our own compatriots for hundreds of years.

In modern Russia relations between the races are quite complex and tense. We can often hear from closest to us people condemnatory speeches and harsh statements towards immigrants from southern countries.

But I believe that the main commandment of Christ about love will not allow us, Christians, to put ourselves above someone else.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:05

sasavasl15Дата: Среда, 13.04.2022, 16:17 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
Contact lens (vs glasses)

As a person who has very poor eyesight, I am familiar with the concept of contact lens and glasses firsthand. From the second grade, my eyesight began to deteriorate and by the end of the eighth grade, I could not see anything clearly unless placed 10 cm close to my face. I physically needed glasses to navigate in space and recognize people. Therefore, from the second grade I got glasses, and then lenses, when my eyesight began to plummet.

Speaking of pros and cons, let's start with glasses. For people whose eyesight is slightly worse than normal, this is an ideal option. They don't need to wear them all the time, and just at the right moment you can put them on. But if you wear glasses on a regular basis, it brings some inconvenience. Firstly, the world around you will interfere with you. Frost, steam from tea, dirty hands, uneven surfaces, rain, all this and much more will scratch, drip, pollute the glass surface and obstruct the view. They can also fly off your face at any time.
As for lenses, there are also advantages and disadvantages. To begin with, the price, if you have the same big minus, then it will be much higher than the standard one. Secondly, the process of putting them
on and wearing them can be inconvenient. And from careless movement you can tear them. But it's more practical than glasses if you wear them all day.

I almost always wear lenses, because I have very poor eyesight and it saves me. But I also wear glasses when my eyes start to hurt or new lenses haven't been bought yet. Both options have their pros and cons.

----------
Many families know what GENERATIONAL GAP is. In our family, this is expressed in relation to JUNK FOOD. Parents believe that if you eat such food, you can get FOOD POISONING.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Четверг, 09.06.2022, 12:21

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 18.04.2022, 12:17 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
One issue that has caused a lot of controversy over the years is whether children should be given pocket money or not. Some people suggest that children better not have their own money, for they are not mature and conscious enough to value money and to spend it rationally. There is a great number of stories of children wasting the money given for food on stupid things or giving their pocket money away not realising the true value of it. People who have such an opinion claim that those who used to be given pocket money for their childish expenses, being grown up without a true understanding of what money indeed is, do not know how to spend it as befits.

However, as far as I’m concerned, the situation is direct opposite. Some psychologists have proved that children who were given pocket money became more aware of money, economy etc., than those who were not. The idea is to follow the golden mean - do not give children extra money, give as much as they may need, not more or less. The other important thing to do is to talk with children and to explain what money is and why is it so important to spend it “correctly” and how to do so. Teach them how to save money. Children will be always spending money on stupid things, but isn’t it better if they save up and then spend it on something they really want?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mary Jane was a BABYSITTER. She used to have a different way of getting money, however after a BREAKDOWN on her former working place, she had to find something else to do in her life not to be a DROPOUT. Changing her job was not the only SHAKE-UP, she had a BREAK-UP of long relationship.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Воскресенье, 05.06.2022, 16:04

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 05.06.2022, 21:28 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
Luxury goods

Firstly, I would like to start with the fact that luxury goods are a stretchable concept. For the poor, an expensive phone or a new refrigerator is already a luxury. While for the rich to have a new Lamborghini — is a familiar phenomenon.

I don't guess luxury goods are a vice. If a person earns much and can afford a wealthy life, then you can only be happy for him.

Luxury items have their pros and cons. Of course, this is at least beautiful. Whether it's expensive clothes, jewelry, interior items or something like that. Sometimes well known brands make a terrible mark-up for their products, but on occasion they are worth their money, because they are made qualitatively.

Nevertheless, I believe that everyone but at least buy one luxury item in their life.

1. In my life there was an experience of donating blood for charitable purposes. I can call myself a BLOOD DONOR.
2. My friend hates my VOICE MESSAGES because I can chat for a very long time.
3. Sometimes I have problems communicating with my parents because of GENERATION GAP.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Вторник, 30.04.2024, 01:12

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 075 Compound nouns 1: noun + noun
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024