не предусмотрено.

Вторник, 14.05.2024, 00:10
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 38 Politics and public institutions - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 38 Politics and public institutions
Unit 38 Politics and public institutions
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 12.02.2022, 11:25 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Online
Are you interested in politics? Why (not)?

What theories about the source of political power do you know? What type of government corresponds to each theory?

Do you think Orthodox Autocratic Monarchy is still possible in Russia? Why (not)?

Do you subscribe to the definition of democracy given in the book: "government of, by and for the people"? Why (not)?
Do you know the source of this definition?

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…" (Winston S Churchill, 11 November 1947). Do you agree?

To what extent do you think is Russia an independent (sovereign) country? What about EU countries? The UK? The USA? Can you name other independent countries?

Can you name any famous US Presidents or UK Prime Ministers? What are they famous for?

Is there a politician (past or present) you would like to have met and conversed with? Why?

What parties represented in US Congress do you know? What is the difference between them?

What is a system of checks and balances? 

What parties represented in British Parliament do you know? What is the difference between them?

What role does the Queen play in British political system?

Have you ever participated in parliamentary or presidential elections? Why (not)?

Do you support any political party? Why (not)?

Do you consider ever joining a political party? Why (not)?

Write a paragraph about the political system in your country. Make sure your paragraph deals with all the following aspects of the topic appropriate to your country:
kind of government, e.g. a republic or a monarchy chambers or houses
elections
terms of office
government leader

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 09.03.2022, 13:07 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Статус: Offline
"Many forms of Government have been tried,and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…" (Winston S Churchill, 11 November 1947). Do you agree?

To tell the truth, I am not interested in politics and never was, but I can agree with this quotation. We all know that democracy is the most famous form of government since the ancient times. For example, many people admire the democracy of ancient Greece. After Ancient Greece came the Roman Empire. It is not surprising that each medieval country wanted to reckon its origin from the times of the Roman Empire, because it was very honorably. honorable Democracy as a model of government inspired many rulers, but every time they brought something new to this model. Even the tyrants, despots, dictators and repressors considered their rule as democracy. We can find such an example now, for example Kim Jong-un who is the leader of North Korea considers his government democratic though he is a dictator, because the full name of the country is Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

In comparison with other forms of government, I think democracy is the best choice, because it is government of, by and for the people. The state protects the interests of citizens, allows people to grow as a person. It doesn’t control people’s lives, but helps them.

When I was a child, I wanted to be a POLITICIAN or even a PRESIDENT, though I didn’t understand anything. But when I was a teenager, I had law classes — these were special classes. We learned differences between political RULES systems and different types of GOVERNMENTS: REPUBLIC, MONARCHY, FEDERATION, DEMOCRACY, DICTATORSHIP. We also learned a lot about ELECTIONS.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 15.06.2022, 13:24

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 25.05.2022, 12:12 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Is there a politician (past or present) you would like to have met and conversed with? Why?

I am really interested in the history of the beginning of the 20th century. These were hard times for our country, the Revolution and complete change in the political system. Of course, there appeared lots of new martyrs. I’m glad that our country has so many saints whose faith was a great example for all of us.

Talking about politics, I’m really not into it. But if I had a chance, I would want to meet with Nocholas the Second. And, in fact, not to converse with him, but just to observe his life. I’d rather be a maidservant in his house. It would be fascinating to get acquainted with his wife – tsaritsa Alexandra and their children – especially daughters who were the same age as I am now.

Several years ago, I read a book – a hole collection of the letters between tsar Nicholas and tsaritsa Alexandra. It made a deep impression on me. Their letters are not as our messages in social media. They are really full of love, care, tenderness. They show that true love really exists. It can inspire our generation, I suppose.

And, of course, their martyrdom should be in high regard without any doubt. In my town there is a church that commemorates the tsar’s family. At night, on the 17th of July, there is a service dedicated to the murder of the tsar’s family.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Вторник, 26.07.2022, 18:12

katyadorniakДата: Пятница, 27.05.2022, 02:39 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
What theories about the source of political power do you know? What type of government corresponds to each theory?

The classical idea of the sources of the origin of power includes such variants of origin as mythological, theological, biological, behavioral, psychoanalytic.

The mythological one says that political leaders are not really people, but rather semi-celestials. The theological one assumes that any power is from God and is the result of His permission. Representatives of the biological concept of power consider it as a mechanism for curbing human aggressiveness, inherent in the most fundamental instincts of man as a biological being. Behaviorist theory assumes that political power consists of individual aspirations to power as a balance, an equilibrium of political forces. Psychoanalytic theory considers motives, the origins of power and sees them in the sphere of the unconscious. It interprets the desire for power as sublimation.

I believe that everything that happens on earth is part of God's plan. However, His idea is that some people have more potential and talent to manage others. He instilled in people a mind that allows them to obey reasonable orders and object to the unreasonable. That's why I like theological and Behavioral theories. They are embodied in most institutions.

--

The PRESIDENT must be a servant of the PEOPLE. He should govern according to political RULES, listening to the GOVERNMENT. People have been fighting for a long time for the opportunity to have a REPUBLIC, or FEDERATION, governed by DEMOCRACY, and not a country with DICTATORSHIP. POLITICIANS should not get intoxicated with power: their power is given by the people at ELECTIONS and is taken away after the expiration of the term.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 16:15

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 14:03 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
Are you interested in politics? Why (not)?

I used to be quite interested in politics a few years back so I used to express my opinions on it quite straightforwardly. However, as I grew older I appreciated th value of silence and of keeping one's beliefs to oneself. Politics very often cause arguments and even destroy relationships.
So all in all it's much easier to remain silent and not to share your political views with anyone. After all, we are Christians and our mission is to spread love and piece, not arguments and hatred.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 11:34

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 38 Politics and public institutions
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024