Unit 23 Physical geography - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 23 Physical geography
Unit 23 Physical geography
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 23.01.2022, 14:52 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Describe an interesting country or area you have been to, or would like to visit, using names of its main geographical features.

Choose a landscape painting or a photo and describe it using words from the unit. Make sure you post the illustration. (Sample paintings: onetwothreefour. Folder with photos to choose from.)

Find a landscape description from fiction (prose or poetry) and highlight words in it related to physical geography.

abalakinan27Дата: Понедельник, 07.02.2022, 20:33 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
In physical geography there are a few confusing words. For example, TRIBUTARY is only a stream of river that flows into a larger river while STRAIT is a narrow stretch of sea between two areas of land. The second example is COAST and SHORE. Shore is the area of sand, mud, or low land along the edge of the sea, or lake. Coast is the land next to the sea. Personally, it was hard for me to remember the PEAK of the mountain which is only the point and the SUMMIT that includes the top of the mountain.

tsumskaa30Дата: Вторник, 22.02.2022, 21:21 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Find a landscape description from fiction (prose or poetry) and highlight words in it related to physical geography.

"Bezhin Meadow"
by Ivan Turgenev

On just such a day I was once out grouse-shooting in THE TCHERN DISTRICT of THE PROVINCE OF TULA. I started and shot a fair amount of game; my full game-bag cut my shoulder mercilessly; but already the evening glow had faded, and the cool shades of twilight were beginning to grow thicker, and to spread across the sky, which was still bright, though no longer lighted up by the rays of the setting sun, when I at last decided to turn back homewards. With swift steps I passed through the long ‘SQUARE’ OF UNDERWOODS, clambered up a HILL, and instead of the familiar PLAIN I expected to see, with the OAKWOOD on the right and the little white church in the distance, I saw before me a scene completely different, and quite new to me. A NARROW VALLEY lay at my feet, and directly facing me A DENSE WOOD OF ASPEN-TREES rose up like a thick wall. I stood still in perplexity, looked round me…. ‘Aha!’ I thought, ‘I have somehow come wrong; I kept too much to the right,’ and surprised at my own mistake, I rapidly descended the hill. I was at once plunged into a disagreeable CLINGING MIST, exactly as though I had gone down into a cellar; the thick high grass at the bottom of THE VALLEY, all drenched with DEW, was white like a smooth tablecloth; one felt afraid somehow to walk on it. I made haste to get on the other side, and walked along beside the ASPENWOOD, bearing to the left. Bats were already hovering over its slumbering TREE-TOPS, mysteriously flitting and quivering across the CLEAR OBSCURE OF THE SKY; a young belated hawk flew in swift, straight course upwards, hastening to its nest. ‘Here, directly I get to this corner,’ I thought to myself, ‘I shall find the road at once; but I have come a mile out of my way!’
I did at last reach the end of the wood, but there was no road of any sort there; some kind of LOW BUSHES overgrown with long grass extended far and wide before me; behind them in the far, far distance could be discerned a tract of WASTE LAND. I stopped again. ‘Well? Where am I?’ I began ransacking my brain to recall how and where I had been walking during the day…. ‘Ah! but these are the BUSHES AT PARAHIN,’ I cried at last; ‘of course! then this must be SINDYEV WOOD. But how did I get here? So far?… Strange! Now I must bear to the right again.’

My own sentences:

I suppose that Robinson Crusoe was in great fear when he realised that his ship was going towards the a CLIFF. Fortunately, he managed to get to the BAY, then, making a great effort, he gained reached the SHORE. He might have hoped that this place was a PENINSULA, but it was a real ISLAND, though the AREA was quite big. It was really hard to for him to see only BARREN PLAINS without any people for more than 20 years. Luckily, there were no ACTIVE VOLCANOES that could be life-threatening. Robinson struggled to find a STREAM or a SPRING to have some drinking water. Finally, he succeeded in growing CROPS and survived!

My trip to the Mammoth gorge (Мамонтово ущелье)

This summer I travelled to Sochi. I wanted to visit as many unusual places as I could. There were a lot of advertisements about the Mammoth gorge. It was thought said to have some picturesque views.

But I had some doubts, as one who wanted to go there should had to travel by a huge jeep. I realized that it would be dangerous. But I really desired to see those views.

It was indeed thrilling to go in a jeep between the rocks and a cliff.

But I even couldn’t imagine how risky it was to go down the Mammoth gorge. I’ll try to describe to you what it represents was like. It’s like a huge water park with extremely high hills. But the hills are natural, I mean rocky, they are not plastic as usual slides. So, it doesn’t have any insurance safety, nobody guaranteed us that we will survive. There was an instructor who told us that it was really dangerous for our lives but if we agreed to go down the first stream, we would not be able to return!

And the water was extremely cold because it was mountain water, + 5 Degrees.

After these entertainments I felt like I survived in a war or in an earthquake. It was the most extreme sport I have ever tried. I would never ever repeat this experience.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Вторник, 08.03.2022, 14:15

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 09.03.2022, 12:43 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
1)   One of the marvelous places I’ve been to is Tarkhankut Peninsula. When I was 10 or 11 years old, my family decided to do camping. They read a lot about beautiful places and they chose Tarkhankut Peninsula. Those times it was much easier to go to the Ukraine, so we decided to ride there by car.

A few words about Tarkhankut Peninsula. Cape Tarkhankut is a south-western cape of the Crimea. We lived in a camp near the Tarkhankut Peninsula, and often went to see it. It was really marvelous as I had never seen such big capes before. We were there for one week and walked around those cliffs. I would say, that it was really frightful and dangerous. Also, I can add, that my family really likes Crimea, so when I was young, I often went there. We often went to different mountains and beautiful places.

2)    I’ve chosen the picture number 3. So, we can see here a beautiful LANDSCAPE. The picture depicts a LAKE surrounded by a group of MOUNTAINS. I guess, it is a MOUNTAIN CHAIN and we can even see snow on the PEAKS. It could be inactive VOLCANOES. Also, we can see a beautiful WATERFALL and a RIVER in the background of the picture. The SOURCE of the STEAM starts somewhere in the FOOT of the mountains. In the front of the picture, we can see a beautiful SHORE of the lake. There we can see beautiful trees standing on a PLAIN.

3)   John Donne «Hymn to God, My God, in My Sickness»

Since I am coming to that holy room,
Where, with thy choir of saints forevermore,
I shall be made thy music; as I come
I tune the instrument here at the door,
And what I must do then, think herebefore.

Whilst my physicians by their love are grown
COSMOGRAPHERS, and I their MAP, who lie
Flat on this bed, that by them may be shown
That this is my SOUTH-WEST DISCOVERY,
Per fretum febris, by these STRAITS to die,

I joy, that in these STRAITS I see my WEST;
For, though their CURRENTS yield return to none,
What shall my WEST hurt me? As WEST and EAST
In all FLAT MAPS (and I am one) are one,
So death doth touch the resurrection.

Is the PACIFIC SEA my home? Or are
The EASTERN RICHES? Is JERUSALEM?
ANYAN, and MAGELLAN, and GIBRALTAR,
All STRAITS, and none but STRAITS, are WAYS to them,
Whether where Japhet dwelt, or Cham, or Shem.

We think that Paradise and CALVARY,
Christ's cross, and Adam's tree, stood in one place;
Look, Lord, and find both Adams met in me;
As the first Adam's sweat surrounds my face,
May the last Adam's blood my soul embrace.

So, in his purple wrapp'd, receive me, Lord;
By these his thorns, give me his other crown;
And as to others' souls I preach'd thy word,
Be this my text, my sermon to mine own:
"Therefore that he may raise, the Lord throws down."

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 10:33

katyadorniakДата: Четверг, 26.05.2022, 19:58 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
My favorite Russian poet Nikolai Gumilev wrote a wonderful work the ISLAND of Love.
In it, he compares the communication process of a couple in love to a journey through a fabulous landscape. He claims that this is similar to the study of the FORESTS of dense of Virgin Australia. He warns about the SWAMPS of Boring chatter that need to be overcome before a declaration of love. He also talks about DESERT of Modesty and the thicket of Shyness as two defenders of the soul. Finally, any lovers sooner or later meet LAKE of Longing on their way.

Nikolai Gumilev is a representative of Acmeism and an avid traveler. He has many poems that describe travel and landscapes, and almost all of it is taken from his experience.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 16:22

posternaksophieДата: Воскресенье, 05.06.2022, 09:17 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
Describe an interesting country or area you have been to, or would like to visit, using names of its main geographical features.

Several years ago I went to the Caucasus. It was one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been to thanks to the unusual nature of the place. The LANDSCAPE consists mainly of the mountains. Though there are naturally no ACTIVE VOLCANOES, the mountains are still quite impressive. There are amazing VALLEYS where horses are kept and also GORGES. Once we stayed in such a GORGE and saw one of the worst thunderstorms in my life. Lightnings hit the mountains on both sides of the GORGE and every time we thought it could be us they hit. There are small STREAMS with amazingly tasty water. At the FOOT of the mountains there are usually forests and bushes of rhododendron. As you climb higher, there are cold LAKES and GLACIERS, even in summer! There are no PEAKS as the mountains are pretty old, but the view from the SUMMIT is just unforgettable.

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 23 Physical geography
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024