Unit 001 Learning vocabulary - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 001 Learning vocabulary
Unit 001 Learning vocabulary
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 20.10.2021, 22:55 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Describe the way to memorise vocabulary that you find most efficient.

Describe the way to enlarge your vocabulary that you find most efficient.

What new ways to memorise / learn vocabulary have you discovered while studying this unit or listening to contributions of your fellow-students?

tsvioletta17Дата: Понедельник, 25.10.2021, 20:21 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник

There are many ways to replenish your vocabulary, and more precisely, to memorize new words.

In my opinion, one of the main things in memorizing words is to do it so that is not boring. Who would like to just sit and cram? Besides, this is not the most effective way.

To make it more interesting to learn and memorize words, I suggest you listen to music, and then study the lyrics. Knowing the lyrics and listening to the songs, the words are remembered faster, since you know their spelling and perceive them by ear. I also advise you to read books, and look up words unknown to you in the dictionary or look up their definitions. One more tip that I like the most: to talk with yourself in English.

To sum up, I hope my tips will be useful and memorizing new words will be enjoyment to you!

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Вторник, 26.10.2021, 22:55

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 26.10.2021, 09:55 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник

There are many ways that can help in memorizing words and improving vocabulary. For me, the most effective are the use of cards, songs, watching movies and associations.

How do the cards work? This is the famous system of Sebastian Leitner. In this method, the cards are sorted into groups depending on how well the information on each card is assimilated. If a person remembers the meaning of the word, then the card is transferred to the next group. If he didn't remember, the card is returned to the first group. Each next group is repeated revised at an increasing interval.

Songs and movies also help me remember words better. Listening to the song, I begin to carefully read the text and translate unfamiliar words. The same system applies to films. This method is effective because you are doing something pleasant for yourself.

How do I use associations? This is my first step on the way to memorizing a word. Of course, after that, I start learning a word in a phrase, or I find sentences with it, but my first step is using associations. That helps me to fix the word more firmly in my mind. This method is very simple. We take a foreign word and look at the spelling or pronunciation. And then we select an association. It can be phonetic or semantic, it doesn't matter, the main thing is to remember the word. For example, the word lean. It is consonant with the Russian word laziness. When we are lazy, we tend to do nothing. That is, in fact, we are leaning. That's about how associations are built.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Вторник, 26.10.2021, 22:07

marichernaya911Дата: Понедельник, 15.11.2021, 20:44 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
There is a great amount of ways of enlarging our vocabulary. I use different ones.

For example, I like reading books in English. Firstly, I read a chapter, underlining unknown words and collocations. I try to guess the meaning of these words and understand the general sense of the text. Then I take a dictionary and translate word by word, inscribing the translation above and trying to memorize it. A bit later, for example before going to bed, I reread the text. Then I understand the text better and many words are firmly remembered.

Of course, this type of enlarging vocabulary is quite slow. But this way we can learn some rare, interesting words and remember them in the context, which, I think, is very important.

Another way I use is watching films and videos in English on any topic I am interested in. Then I can learn some new words in context and also with their pronunciation. I have auditory memory, so it’s easy for me to memorize new information by ear.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Вторник, 23.11.2021, 10:46

amasaltsevaДата: Четверг, 18.11.2021, 13:03 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник

There are many ways to enlarge your vocabulary. You can listen to music, read books, watch movies in English etc. All these methods are obvious, apparent and commonly used as they seem to be quite effective. Each option is good in its own way, and they are all considered to be wholesome. But can we assert them as being appropriate to everyone?

Scientists have proved that every individual perceives information and memorizes new information differently. Every person’s style of learning, for instance, new words, is either a visual, audial, tactile, or a combination of them. So not to make your effort to memorise something futile, before you begin try to find out who you are inherently. Find your own, individual way and follow it. For example, I by myself am rather the combination of variety of these styles. To learn a new word, so that it would get stuck in my head, I firstly, write it down. I have my own dictionary notebook where all the words are divided into groups. So, the first thing is to determine to which particular group the word belongs? The next step is to find synonyms to this word and a context in which it can be used apart from that where you have found it. By this I kill two birds with one stone: I am enlarging my vocabulary as well as learning a word. Finally, I try to use this word as often as you can. I use it in my speech, in my writings, wherever it can be suitable.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 23:50

veronikachernykh15Дата: Вторник, 30.11.2021, 13:05 | Сообщение # 6
Майор
Describe the way to enlarge your vocabulary that you find most efficient

There are a lot of different ways to enlarge your vocabulary. But at first I would like to give some examples based on my own life.

When I studied at secondary school I didn't pay much attention to broadening my vocabulary. So I had to follow the methods of my teacher and studied the words from textbooks without any passion. But soon I understood that I didn't have enough words to express my thoughts. That awareness gave me a motivation to enlarge my vocabulary with the help of methods which are still useful for me.

Firstly, I changed my meaningless surfing  the internet  to surfing English websites. I followed English-speaking bloggers and if I had a  need of finding some information on the internet, I googled it  in the English language. That helped me a lot to switch on the English way of thinking and to expand the number of peculiar words and collocations.

Secondly, I began to watch films with English audio and English subtitles. After a while, there was not anymore a need to watch films with subtitles and now I'm trying to watch all foreign films in the English language. That tip gave me a great amount of new words and even made my accent a little bit better.

1) When you study English on a high level that gives you an opportunity to distinguish GRAMMATICAL CHARACTERISTICS without any help or textbooks.
2) COLLOCATIONS can show native speakers how wide your knowledge is.
3) I always pay attention to a SENSE OF HUMOUR when I get acquainted.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 12:40

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 01:35 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник

There are many ways to effectively memorize vocabulary. I'll highlight a few of my favorites.

First of all, I want to mention the way I was taught in elementary school. You need to buy stickers or any other self-adhesive pieces of paper, write on them the words that should be learned, and their translation, then paste these words, for example, around your room. The bottom line is that these words will loom before your eyes constantly, which will help you remember them.

The second way is to use words in the story. It's like learning new words in context. The advantage of this method is that in addition to memorizing new words, you also practice speaking, which of course only benefits you.

So, I have given an example of two methods, because I personally find them the most effective for myself, but if I choose from these two, I would prefer the second, and as the reason for this can be given my love of chatting in English.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Понедельник, 13.12.2021, 14:14

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 001 Learning vocabulary
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024