Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Upper-Intermediate »
»
Unit 098 Proverbs

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 22:07
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 098 Proverbs - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 098 Proverbs
Unit 098 Proverbs
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 09.10.2021, 00:21 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Find two or more proverbs in Russian and English that have similar meaning and / or form. Provide authentic contexts of their use. How can similarities be accounted for? Also comment upon the differences in the form and meaning of these proverbs, if there are any.

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 17.11.2021, 00:00 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Studying English proverbs and their Russian counterparts, we can draw some interesting conclusions. Many proverbs turn out to be similar due to the fact that they have a common Latin source. Examples: A sound mind in a sound body - В здоровом теле здоровый дух. Both of these proverbs refer to Juvenal's saying "Mens sana in corpore sano". Another example is "Forewarned is forearmed - Предупрежден значит вооружен - Praemonitus, praemunitus".
Context: I work out and don't eat junk food during the session, because I endure a lot of stress at this time. However, sports and diet help me - as you know, a sound mind is in a sound body.
Although much knowledge brings many sorrows, I prefer to know in advance the risks and pitfalls of my future profession: forewarned is forearmed.

Some proverbs are similar due to the fact that similar situations took place both in the UK and in Russia. For example, "But one claw snagged, the bird is bagged - Коготок увяз – всей птичке пропасть". Pay attention to the charming rhyme in the English version. This proverb says that even a small problem can lead to big trouble. Another example is "Well begun is half done - Хорошее начало полдела откачало". There is a rhyme here in both versions.
Context: I noticed that you're delaying your homework. I'm not angry, just remember - but one claw snagged, the bird is bagged.
The hardest thing for me is to get started, but my mom always says that well begun is half done and that cheers me up.

It is interesting to compare the proverbs "The leopard cannot change his spots - Черного кобеля не отмоешь добела ". There is are no leopards in Russia, but the British, known for their travels, learned about this animal much earlier. Therefore, animals in proverbs are different. This proverb comments on the immutability of human nature.
Context: Don't believe him: he cheated on his ex-girlfriend, he will definitely cheat on you - the leopard cannot change his spots, you know.

Summing up, I must say that the topic of proverbs, their origin and international use is quite fascinating and is good for scientific research.

Добавлено (01.12.2021, 04:34)
---------------------------------------------
I have problems with many PROVERBS. I recognize their wisdom, but I can't help myself – if I CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER, I have
to MAKE IT DRINK - otherwise why did we come? I understand that ONE SWALLOW DOESN'T MAKE A SUMMER – spring is caused by the rotation of the planet, but swallows don't arrive when they want to – their flair doesn't let them down. I also think about how many hands are MANY HANDS that MAKE LIGHT WORK? And also - how many cooks are TOO MANY COOKS and at what point is THE BROTH irretrievably SPOILED? These questions are bothering me, and I’m bothered by my up-coming exams - but I'LL CROSS THAT BRIDGE WHEN I COME TO IT.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 23:19

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 01.12.2021, 15:05 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Still waters run deep - в тихом омуте черти водятся. I like how  this proverb sounds in English. I think they are both similar in meaning and are used in similar context. But they are still slightly different. The English proverb is more realistic and is  borrowed from real life and the physical characteristics of water, while the Russian one is more mythological.

No man is an island - один в поле не воин. This proverb is borrowed from John Donne's poem. Both proverbs have the meaning of unity and both are related to people. However, people are not mentioned in the English variant, we understand it metaphorically.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Пятница, 03.12.2021, 22:29

abalakinan27Дата: Суббота, 04.12.2021, 12:03 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Talking about equivalent proverbs in Russia and England I would like to talk about two ones. The first one sounds so: "There's no place like home" - "В гостях хорошо, а дома лучше". Both versions are bubbling with warmth and hospitality of your own house. Their main meaning is that despite various convenient places outside, the only place where you cannot be a fish out of water - is sweet home. But they differ. Whereas the English variant embraces only domestic theme, the Russian one is focused on both themes - your house and visits - to emphasize the comparison.

The second proverb I'm going to discuss is "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach"- "Путь к любому мужчине лежит через желудок". I cannot agree more with it because one of the ways to gain a man's love is by preparing cuisine that he enjoys. The peculiar addition English example provides is 'heart'. It can be interpreted as if you cook for being loved, while Russians prefer to keep specificity in secret, maybe meaning only particular cases when food really matters in relationships.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Вторник, 07.12.2021, 19:00

lisaswan001Дата: Четверг, 28.03.2024, 11:42 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
There is a number of proverbs which are similar in Russian and English language. For example:

1) English: "A stitch in time saves nine." vs. Russian: "Копейка рубль бережет». Both proverbs emphasize the importance of taking care of small problems early in order for them not to turn into big problems later on.

2) "Тише едешь, дальше будешь" vs. "Slow and steady wins the race". Both proverbs talk about the importance of gradual progress towards a goal, which eventually will lead to success.

3) "Яблоко от яблони недалеко падает" vs. "Like father, like son". These are two proverbs that say that children often inherit qualities and habits of their parents.

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Четверг, 28.03.2024, 16:30

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 28.03.2024, 11:54 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
I like the proverb "we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it". The Russian equivalent for that proverb is "решай проблемы по мере их поступления". This saying helps people to stay calm and not stress out while dealing with a lot of small but difficult tasks. This similarity can be explained by our very busy and active lives. People in different countries are busy as bees, and usually don't have time for rest. So it comes as no suprise that we have similar proverbs to keep us from getting down.

I also like another proverb about cats (because I love them): "when the cat’s away, the mice will play". The Russian variant for it is "кошка из дому — мышки на стол". I suppose the similarity can be explaind by the popularity of this cat-mouse infinite argument. The proverb tells us that, in some cases, people will take advantage of a situation without thinking about the consequences, especially when there is no strong leader to stop them.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 28.03.2024, 16:38

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 28.03.2024, 12:36 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
Recently I've noticed that many English proverbs are connected with cats:
- A cat in gloves catches no mice. (Без труда не вытащишь и рыбки из пруда)
- Curiosity killed a cat. (Любопытной Варваре на базаре нос оторвали)
- Like a cat on hot bricks. (Сидеть, как на иголках)
- Wait for the cat to jump. (Посмотрим, куда ветер подует)
As you can see, many of our Russian proverbs have English equivalents with cats. And I wonder why this is so.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Четверг, 28.03.2024, 16:22

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 098 Proverbs
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024