Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Upper-Intermediate »
»
Unit 015 Higher education

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Воскресенье, 28.04.2024, 23:59
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 015 Higher education - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 015 Higher education
Unit 015 Higher education
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 03.09.2021, 14:43 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1. What is the purpose of higher education, in your mind?

2. How would you change present university system for it to serve its purpose better?

3. University (together with Church, Monarchy and Parliament) is one of the oldest institutions in the Western world. Some people believe that university in its present form has become obsolete and irrelevant. Do you agree? Why / why not?

4. What changes is digital revolution bringing to higher education?

5. What essential problems and challenges are you facing as a student? How can they be solved?

6. What do you think University of the Future will be like?

7. What, in your opinion, are the pros and cons of pursuing a master's degree? A PhD?

8.  Is lecture a useless genre in the age of Google? Why / why not?

9. Should higher education be free? Why / why not?

10. Do you think Student Union is of any use?

11. Do we need student societies?

12. Do you think there is a need for safe spaces / trigger warnings / no platforming / cancel culture in higher education?

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 08.09.2021, 20:51 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
11. Do we need student societies?

Nowadays student societies play an important role in young people’s life.
To tell the truth, I believe that these societies are vital for student’s integrated development. First of all, it’s an excellent way to find yourself, develop some hidden talents, become useful to the society by joining a volunteer team. Secondly, it helps first-year students socialize, find friends with the same interests and become more confident. Finally, owing to student societies young people can relax, forget about challenges with homework, lectures and seminars by changing activities, that is beneficial both for our physical and mental health.

Nevertheless, some people insist that these societies can distract students from studying diligently. I can’t agree with this opinion as I know that young people become even much more motivated to study hard when they have some extra activity as they are inspired to do their best.

In fact, being a student I took part in many activities such as volunteer club where we knit clothes for newborn babies, helped with organizing a ball, recorded video about our university. I also visited meetings with priests, sang in the student choir. These activities made a huge impact on me, gave me inspiration and encouraged to love the place where I’m studying.

Therefore, I definitely believe that every university needs student societies.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Воскресенье, 07.11.2021, 12:52

posternaksophieДата: Четверг, 09.09.2021, 15:23 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник
1. What is the purpose of higher education, in your mind?

Nowadays, in the time of globalisation it is hard to tell whether or not one needs higher education. When it is possible to start working at a young age as a huge number of bloggers now do, a question inevitably arises: what is the purpose of higher education?

There is a number of reasons why one should pursue higher education. Firstly, higher education actually does broaden the horizons and allows one to look at subjects and at life from a  completely different angle. It also teaches more structurized thinking. Secondly, higher education gives opportunities as one cannot teach and do a number of jobs without a bachelor's and sometimes a master's degree. Thirdly, higher education gives time to think what one wants to achieve in life. After school it's basically impossible to decide on the career path and university allows students some time to think, observe and make up their mind.

However, there are examples of those who despite lacking formal education managed to achieve success in their lives. I am convinced that everyone defines for themselves what their aim is to receive higher education.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Среда, 08.12.2021, 20:20

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 06.10.2021, 20:57 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
8.  Is lecture a useless genre in the age of Google? Why / why not?

Well, as I can see, lectures are becoming now the most popular genre in the age of Google! For example, if we take podcasts as a kind of a lecture, they are extremely popular in our days. More and more people are making podcasts. They can be shorter or longer, the lecturer could be a professor, an artist, a writer or just a simple worker!

Also, nowadays there are a lot of  opportunities to record lectures and to listen to them. As for me, I use Youtube or Arzamas Academy. I usually like lectures devoted to  Literature or  History. There are a lot of interesting  professors that are very good at their subjects and I am happy that I have such an opportunity. So the lectures aren't dead in the age of Google for me.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 13:04

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 03.12.2021, 23:19 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
What essential problems and challenges are you facing as a student? How can they be solved?

Being a student is difficult. I’ve been facing some problems and challenges for almost three years.

Firstly, it’s the dormitory. I have to live in a room with other people, share a bathroom and a kitchen with them. It’s not really convenient, because there can be a queue to the bathroom or to the stove. You have to be quiet after 11 pm, but if you are a night owl and sleep until the afternoon or you don’t have classes in the morning and want to sleep a bit longer, no one cares. The other students can get up at 6, 7, 8 o’clock and start to dry their hair, talk, etc. But you can do absolutely nothing about it. This problem can be solved only when I rent my own apartment, and if I am lucky, I’ll have decent neighbours or soundproofing. Anyway, I’ll have my own kitchen and bathroom.

Secondly, as a student I have a money problem. I feel like I’ve become an adult with an adult’s needs and desires. Especially living in Moscow makes these needs and desires bigger. There are cool restaurants, clubs, cinemas, theatres, shops and malls, and you want to have it all! But since I’m just a student, I have a small budget only for essentials like food, medicine, transport. So either you work after studying and get what you want on your own, or try to avoid tempting things.

Finally, I’d like to say that it’s quite hard for students to get work in the city. There are several reasons: an inadequate timetable, inexperience and lack of physical and emotional strength. This problem can be solved by strong motivation of a student.

All in all, there is also a good side to a student's life, of course, but there are challenges as well. Nevertheless, I think that these challenges can help students to become stronger and get essential experience that could be useful in the future.

Добавлено (05.12.2021, 23:40)
---------------------------------------------
At the moment I’m studying for my BACHELOR’S DEGREE. When I become a GRADUATE, I’m not going to begin POSTGRADUATE STUDIES. A few years ago I thought I would study for THE MASTER’S DEGREE, but now I changed my mind.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 11:32

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Вторник, 25.01.2022, 13:56 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
What is the purpose of higher education, in your mind?

The problem of higher education is becoming more urgent, in my humble opinion, every day. Disputes about the need for higher education do not stop.

The reason for this, it seems to me, is social media, because now, more than ever before, such sites as YouTube, Instagram and Tiktok are popular, where the younger generation sees bloggers with huge audiences earning millions by simply shooting videos on the Internet. These "stars" at their young age have already achieved amazing success and provide for themselves and their families at their own expense. And all this without a higher education. Then why is it needed at all?

On October 4, 2021, a large-scale failure occurred in social networks such as Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, as well as the Whatsapp messenger. In the end, everything was set up, but people were really confused at that moment. And what if nothing could be fixed and the world would be left without social networks. In this case, bloggers would lose their "jobs". How would they earn money then?

I am personally convinced that higher education is a safety cushion. A person with a diploma definitely has basic knowledge that can feed him. Tutoring will always be relevant, because often the school curriculum is not enough to successfully pass exams after graduation. Higher education provides opportunities. Undoubtedly, there are those who do not work in their specialty, but still, they have knowledge that they can pass on to the next generation by teaching. No one forbids you to take courses on studying another specialty after graduation from the university, on the contrary, it is useful because it broadens your horizons. But despite this, higher education is useful, since it is a base.

Добавлено (25.01.2022, 13:59)
1. In parallel with studying at the university, I want to take DESIGNER courses, because it is interesting to me and I would like to develop in this direction.

2. My dad is a member of the board of DIRECTORS at an investment company.

3. I already have experience as a tutor and I'm going to continue this WORK.

marichernaya911Дата: Четверг, 27.01.2022, 23:35 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
1.What is the purpose of higher education, in your mind?

Before entering university, I didn’t really think about the purpose of higher education. I just knew that I must obtain it as everyone in my family did. And only here, having my undergraduate studies, I started thinking about the purposes of this process.

In my mind, the major purpose of higher education is overall cultural and intellectual growth, your personal growth as an individual, getting the skill of time management. Generally, developing the skills which will help you in the future to be a good and diligent adult who will be able to do his work properly.

Here is another purpose of higher education – becoming an expert in the field you’ve chosen. It is important for having a beloved and well-paid job, in the future. Experts in all fields are needed. However, there is a high probability that a person will not work according to their main education. Both of my parents aren't. And they are quite successful, even though their path was hard.

To conclude, I’ll say that I adore the "Life Long Learning" trend, as it tells us that being truly interested in something, we can always move to another specialization and improve our knowledge by working hard.

---

In LECTURE THEATRES at University students listen to LECTURES and SEMINARS. After classes they can have a rest in a HALL OF RESIDENCE. Those who study well are usually paid a STUDENT LOAN.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:12

yarovaya02Дата: Пятница, 28.01.2022, 21:55 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
[size=12]What is the purpose of higher education, in your mind?

First of all, I would like to mention that pursuing higher education a person endeavors to self-developing, tries to perfect oneself both physically, mentally and spiritually.

In my opinion, education and knowledge foster intellectual cultivation. While studying, a student is involved into a rapid stream, with a high speed he gets new and new information of a certain academic field. He learns how to look at the same things from different angles and what grounds for of both points of view are. I think that education gives us food for thought. It helps us to become more mature.

Concerning our faculty, we are studying philology. I guess that reading is one of the methods to become acquainted with the world. Literature represents a lot of lifelike narratives, which help young people not to. be ensnared by primitive falsehoods.

Secondly, university prepares us for a future job. If you have a job that you not only can do, but also like, then you have to apply your energy and strength on reaching the aim. Things that can you can do for it is to learn, to study and to explore.

Добавлено (28.01.2022, 22:01)
I live in A UNIVERSITY CAMPUS, here live many other students. They are very active and mobile. As they can often gather together they have formed STUDENT SOCIETIES, which constitute a STUDENT UNION.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Воскресенье, 05.06.2022, 20:20

sasavasl15Дата: Понедельник, 31.01.2022, 21:16 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
What is the purpose of higher education, in your mind?

Today this is a rather topical issue. Here in Russia, many have a stereotype that without a degree of higher education, a person cannot get a job or be successful. And it is necessary to get this higher education right after school. From these generalizations, it can be concluded that higher education is needed to get a job and status in society.

I also thought so for many years when I was in school. But over time, you realize that this is not quite true. Especially now, when there is  a huge number of courses, lessons, online schools where you can get the knowledge you need in a shorter time than at a university. In general, no one has canceled self-education.

So now, I have a slightly different point of view. For me, getting a higher education is equal to the goal of getting deeper knowledge directly related to the area that I want to study in more detail. For example, I study philology because I want to understand literature and languages more thoroughly. And I also want to learn how to build my speech competently, write and speak in foreign languages. The plus is the fact that at the university, you communicate a lot with people, both with teachers and with students, who also help you in obtaining different skills and in studying different topics.

------------------------------------------------------------
1. During your studies, you should attend all LECTURES and SEMINARS and actively work on at them.
2. In Russia, you need to study at the university for four years to get a BACHELOR'S DEGREE.
3. TUITION FEES are paid every month at our university, and not immediately for a year.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Четверг, 09.06.2022, 12:22

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 01.02.2022, 11:18 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
What changes is digital revolution bringing to higher education?

It’s a fact that digital revolution is bringing great changes to our life and higher education is not the exception. We can find the traces of technological revolution in any sphere connected with university studies. The first example that comes to my mind is a website every university has. There you can apply for a program and find any information you need. Then you are a student. If you are studying in "covid times" you are attending your classes online. Or have a personal zoom meeting with your tutor. Here is another change that a digital revolution has brought, the most obvious one.

So, classes. Apart from them students write some projects, essays, reports, graduate works etc. Here we come to the results of digital revolution. We write works on computers, we send them to our tutors via email, and get answers. When the work is done, modern students post it on his or her personal page on a special website, which is online portfolio, where their works are stored.

And finally, I have come to a change we have recently faced that’s of online conferences. This gives a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world now and here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
She was 40, she had three disobedient children and an unpaid loan, she was divorced, she was trodden,…she wanted her life to change. Ann Smith had never been studying at university, Ann Smith had never lived in UNIVERSITY CAMPUS, Ann Smith had never visited A LECTURE THEATRE, Ann Smith had never attended SEMINARS or LECTURES, Ann Smith had never been in a STUDENT’S SOCIETY. “Oh”- she gave a deep sigh - “I can’t say I’m too old to study. They say, “It's never too late”. That makes sense”. Her hands were shaking, her voice was trembling, she was trying to CLICK to SUBMIT HER APPLICATION.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:11

veronikachernykh15Дата: Пятница, 13.05.2022, 21:37 | Сообщение # 11
Майор
2. How would you change present university system for it to serve its purpose better?

The issue of higher education at the present time is very controversial. The necessity of higher education is called into question due to the fact that the acquired knowledge cannot be put into practice and getting a higher education does not mean being successful, as it was, for example, in the 20th century. The implication is that the education system definitely needs to be changed.

The system of higher education in Russia is still at the same stage as it was 20-30 years ago: we have the equal way of assessment the progress, and even some lectures are composed in the same way as half a century ago.

It seems to me, that oral exams should be replaced by written work in each subject. Therefore, students will be able to describe the learned material in a relaxed atmosphere. Obviously, each work must be strictly checked for plagiarism.

And in order for university graduates not to be left without work, universities should cooperate with various companies and send the best students to internships. This will give motivation to study, and there will be more professional staff for these firms.

-------------------------
Maria decided to go to the University. And her first visiting of the UNIVERSITY CAMPUS was the beginning of new life. She became a participant of the STUDENT SOCIETY and got a lot of friends. HALLS OF RESIDENCE became the 2nd home for her. She visited all LECTURES and SEMINARS and eventually became the first student. Eventually, Maris GRADUATED successfully and got a BACHELOR'S DEGREE.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:11

tsvioletta17Дата: Суббота, 04.06.2022, 13:13 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
5. What essential problems and challenges are you facing as a student? How can they be solved?

Sometimes it seems that students are not people but real robots. And you try to have time to study at the age of 20 (it would be great if it were good), earn extra money, devote time to family, personal life, friends and yourself. Not a small list, is it?

We often hear from our parents that they were also young, also studied, but managed three times more. I think it's unfair, it's stupid to compare completely different generations.

Every year the curriculum becomes more complicated, old smart people come up with new stupid lessons, probably in order to completely deprive children and students of life. I think this is a big problem.

Also, against this background of eternal failure and fatigue, a teenager begins to have psychological problems, nervous breakdowns and tantrums. And all this is due to higher education, which takes 4-5 years of life.

Therefore,  it should be made easier for people to study. And I ask the education committee to take pity on the children and not break their lives.

1. My aunt is a hardworking and versatile person. At the beginning of her career, she was an UNSKILLED WORKER and now she is an EXECUTIVE.
2. She is A WORKAHOLIC so even when she IS ON SICK LEAVE she goes to work.
3. Her father was a CIVIL SERVANT.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:13

lisaswan001Дата: Среда, 04.10.2023, 19:11 | Сообщение # 13
Лейтенант

The present university system hasn’t changed for a lot of years and many teachers, lecturers and politicians are afraid to change anything that has been used for so long.

In my opinion, we are now in an urgent need of changes in the university system. Before I mention different changes that I suggest, I should say that some universities in Russia are actively trying to improve this system and some changes are already being made.

First of all, I believe that reducing students' workload can help a lot of people of my age. I am sure that there should be more time for students to work on their own - that’s the skill that should be developed in the university. The biggest problem of Russian students is their complex timetable. They always try to combine studying from early mornings till late evenings and work to earn some money. This can easily lead to blindness of the immune system and mental health issues.

Secondly, I think that oral exams should be mostly restricted. The grades for these examinations can be very biased, as for many people oral testing is a huge stress that they cannot overcome, and therefore it reflects not their knowledge of the subject, but their psychological characteristics. I believe that it’s always better and fairer to conduct test examinations. In this case, teachers will be able to make a sensible judgement of the student's abilities.

I believe such changes will have a positive impact on our education system.

Добавлено (04.10.2023, 19:42)
As an undergraduate, I studied Psychology and graduated with a bachelor's degree. Inspired by my passion for research, I decided to pursue a master's degree in Neuroscience to explore this field further. As part of my master's programme, I did an extensive study on the cognitive effects of meditation, which resulted in my dissertation.

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Среда, 04.10.2023, 19:28

lolosipovanikaДата: Среда, 04.10.2023, 22:05 | Сообщение # 14
Лейтенант
Should higher education be free? Why / why not?

Many people argue about whether higher education should be free or not.
On the one hand, providing free education could decrease the level of education and the attitude to it would become less responsible. 

But on the other hand, free education is a great opportunity for smart and gifted poor people, who want to get a  bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree.

Ultimately, the feasibility and effectiveness of free higher education depend on the specific context, including a country's economic situation, educational infrastructure, and social priorities.

I think that a grant system in our University is a good resolution of this argument, because everyone is on the win side. The University has money and students have free education, if they pass their exams well, so in this way everyone has a chance to graduate for free.

1. Undergraduate students write a dissertation to get bachelor's degree. 2. Postgraduates write a thesis to get a master's degree. 3. I like when a lecturer gives interesting seminars.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 11:36

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 05.10.2023, 00:00 | Сообщение # 15
Лейтенант
10. Do you think Student Union is of any use?

I believe Student Union is extremely important in students' daily university life. Higher education is not always an easy thing to deal with. When young people enter the campus of their university they feel very motivated to study, to get to know other people but a week later they try not to leave the university because that's not so easy as people may think. In this case Student Union might be a very helpful organization. There a newborn student (or even an older one) can find help. They may ask questions about lecturers, tutors and professors. They may share very important organizational tricks about classes and exams. Also one may find friends there as Student Union is expected to share information about clubs and different events.
It was a problem for me during my first module. For I didn't know much about taking notes during the lecture, doing homework, communicating with tutors and even people from other classes. I believe not having a Student Union in our university is a big mistake because having someone who can guide you into the right direction will make student life more colourful and easy.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 11:03

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 015 Higher education
  • Страница 1 из 2
  • »
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024