не предусмотрено.

Пятница, 03.05.2024, 12:46
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 275 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 275 (Venerable Isaac the Syrian)
Quote 275
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 14.10.2023, 00:34 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
What salt is for any food, humility is for every virtue. To acquire it, a man must always think of himself with contrition, self-belittlement and painful self-judgment. But if we acquire it, it will make us sons of God.

Venerable Isaac the Syrian, bishop of Nineveh

yarovaya02Дата: Среда, 18.10.2023, 08:22 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
I agree with these words, humility is a virtue that should constantly fill our souls. We are all blind, and Jesus Christ is our guide. If we admit that we can’t see things as they really are then God will help us and direct our movements, but as soon as we begin to reckon ourselves wise, experienced, we are given a chance to wander by ourselves and of course without God’s guiding we fall again and again. So we should acknowledge and understand that without God’s help we can do nothing.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 16:16

tsvioletta17Дата: Среда, 18.10.2023, 15:26 | Сообщение # 3
Подполковник
Basically I agree with this quote. We must always remember humility, it makes life easier, no matter how it might seem otherwise. I was raised and brought up on the basis of the words "Humility is an indicator of strength, not weakness."

The main thing here is not to overdo it with self-deprecation.  Yes, you should not forget your sinfulness and repent of it and correct yourself. But this does not mean that you need to always blame yourself for everything and hate yourself (I speak on behalf of a teenager who has experienced this in his 15 years).

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 00:05

lisaswan001Дата: Среда, 18.10.2023, 20:07 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
I totally agree with Venerable Isaac the Syrian because this quote reflects the depth of Christianity and people’s need to forget all our earthly needs, for in the Kingdom of Heaven there will be no room for any pride. Our current life is made to prepare us for the Future Life and it wouldn’t be easy, because we should overcome all the circumstances and first of all, overcome ourselves and our sins.

I have to mention that one should never cross the line of self-judgment and start hating yourself. Especially this applies to teenagers. They can easily misunderstand this quote and in future blame God for all mental health issues that they have. It is crucial to overcome selfishness, but you should remember that you are a needed and loved child of God.

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Среда, 20.12.2023, 13:55

sodrozdovaДата: Среда, 18.10.2023, 22:44 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
It's true that salt itself is not tasty at all but the exact amount of it can make the dish very tasty. I believe there's an exact amount of humility for an individual. For some it could be even bad if they humiliate themselves too hard. Salvation is about personal love to God, personal dialogue with him. For each person there can be different sources, but humility is something everyone has to achieve.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 12:20

marichernaya911Дата: Пятница, 20.10.2023, 13:12 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
As some of Holy Fathers said, humility is the beginning and the final of any virtue, and everything in our life should be seasoned with this "salt" - humility. Otherwise it is impossible to live a virtuous life, as any of our good deeds would be robbed by pride, vanity, exaltation over others and other evil and insidious sins.

And the way to humility is a clear understanding that I personally, by my own strength, cannot do anything good, that everything good and kind in me and what I do is the gift of God, so I have to praise Him and glorify Him every time something good happened in my life, and bless Him every time when something wrong happens - as it is only the gift of God, for I appeal to Christ and to give Him way in my life, understanding my weakness and helplessness.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 22:12

sasavasl15Дата: Суббота, 09.12.2023, 19:42 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I can agree with this idea. It is close to me and I often relied on humility, self-abasement, but just like with salt, it is important to keep a balance. It is important not to over-salt the food, otherwise the whole taste of the food will cease to be felt.

Also with humility. It is important to think of yourself as the most ordinary person, and not turn yourself into an arrogant martyr who prides himself on his humility and painful self-condemnation. It is important to find a place to love people and yourself. After all, one of the main commandments reminds us of this - "love your neighbor as yourself." The whole law and the prophets are based on these two commandments.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 19:32

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Воскресенье, 10.12.2023, 20:33 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
The concept of self-belittlement and painful self-judgment is not very clear and close to me. But I liked Sasha's idea that one should "not over-salt", i.e. not overdo self-deprecation.

I believe that in order to learn to humble oneself, we need to be able to soberly analyse our emotions and feelings. It is undoubtedly very difficult, but perhaps every Christian should strive for humility.

amasaltsevaДата: Воскресенье, 10.12.2023, 20:56 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
Truth be told, it’s difficult to accept venerable Issac Syrian’s position. That doesn’t mean it does not seem right to me, it’s kind of difficult to deal with a radical view on the matter. Indeed, humility is a crucial element of Christianity and should be acquired through contrition by each who is eager to be called a true Christian. However, “painful self-judgement” doesn’t sound as something humble to me.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Воскресенье, 10.12.2023, 20:56

veronikachernykh15Дата: Вторник, 19.12.2023, 15:11 | Сообщение # 10
Майор
Of course, Venerable Isaac the Syrian is right in his statement. Humility is the main virtue. But at the same time, there are many obstacles on the way to true humility: pride, false humility and hypocrisy. It is very easy to confuse humility with sin, it is very difficult not to go too far with humility and at the same time remain virtuous not only to others but also to your soul. That is why humility is the main virtue.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 00:24

lolosipovanikaДата: Среда, 20.12.2023, 14:18 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
I really liked the metaphor of salt. With it food starts to have more sophisticated taste and sometimes just becomes eatable. Salt itself isn't tasty and even can ruin our body, that's why we cannot drink salty water, even if we are really thirsty. The same situation with humility. Without aim humility itself is absolutely strange and unhealthy thing. But when it has the idea of Christian faith, it becomes irreplaceable for every virtue. Again the great example of pride and humility is shown is the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. Where the Pharisee seems to have more virtues, than the Publican, but the lack of humility ruins every one of his virtues. And a humble Publican with fewer virtues is closer to God.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 22:54

salomiagudovaДата: Пятница, 22.12.2023, 15:36 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
I completely agree with Venerable Isaac the Syrian, bishop of Nineveh. This quote goes hand in hand with quote 274. In that previous quote Gerondissa Makrina says that pride is the first passion that takes root in a person, that everyone suffers from it. When speculating about Gerondissa Makrina’s observation, I said that it is in our nature to think that we are more important that others, even if it is on some subconscious level. And since we all suffer from pride, at least to a degree, it is so much more admirable when someone overcomes this passion.

And humility is an obvious antidote for pride. If a proud person thinks that they are more important than others, that they are better than others, then to overcome pride and attain humility, as Venerable Isaac the Syrian says, a person “must always think of himself with contrition, self-belittlement and painful self-judgment.” And in my opinion, humility is the greatest virtue because however good you are, if you have humility, you will always try to be even better, you will work on any other virtues that you have and, in the process, acquire new ones.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Пятница, 22.12.2023, 15:37

alekssander-com29Дата: Пятница, 22.12.2023, 20:20 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
Venerable Isaac the Syrian's analogy of humility to salt in every virtue provides a timeless and universal lesson. From an Orthodox perspective, humility is the essence of virtuous living, while from an earthly viewpoint, it is a catalyst for harmonious relationships and personal transformation. The call to acquire humility through self-reflection and self-judgment resonates with the biblical emphasis on humility as a path to wisdom, honor, and a blessed life.

In Orthodoxy humility is considered to be one of the key virtues. It`s proved by lots of sayings of holy fathers and lines from holy Scriptures, for example: «Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time». (1 Peter 5:6 (KJV). Or: «For every one that exalteth himself shall be abased, and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted». (Luke 18:14 (KJV). All these quotes and sayings underscore one thing – transformative power of humility. When we humble ourselves, we step aside and let the Lord lead us to the true Salvation and glory and none of earthly things that we can do by ourself are able to provide such honor and glory.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Пятница, 22.12.2023, 20:21

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 275 (Venerable Isaac the Syrian)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024