не предусмотрено.

Пятница, 03.05.2024, 17:51
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 274 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 274 (Gerondissa Makrina (Vassopoulou)
Quote 274
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 07.10.2023, 13:57 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
The first passion that takes root in a person is egotism and pride. Take anyone, from infant to elder. Pride is like a medallion that we wear continually and cannot take off.

Gerondissa Makrina (Vassopoulou)

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 10.10.2023, 10:15 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
It is very difficult to humble ourselves, we continually want others to love ourselves, to care for us. But how much do we love God and our neighbors, do we do good deeds gratuitously? Don’t we require mutual love and kindness? We forget that God loves all people even those who don’t love Him, He became a man to save all mankind. We have an example of how to live righteously, and if we try to live in such a way, we will be blessed by God: “God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.”

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 16:15

sodrozdovaДата: Среда, 11.10.2023, 23:48 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант
I believe there is no "first passion" that takes root in our souls. Every person is unique and everyone has their own sins and passions. If for some it may seem easy to fight laziness, for another it may be so difficult that it ruins their entire life. Of course in our modern society the most powerful and frequent passion is egoism and pride. People think too much of themselves and don't want to do anything for others. But in my opinion every passion is the first one that may take root in a person.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 12:19

marichernaya911Дата: Четверг, 12.10.2023, 13:36 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Nowadays these qualities are especially widespread. The society we live in teaches us to love ourselves, to think that we are always right and others are always mistaken, that our opinion is the only correct one. Today, maybe because of the almost total well-being and security, people live by doing what they want and like. Moreover, that egotism is often sown in a person from childhood, because of just questions incorrectly asked by adults. For example, a child is naughty - he or she doesn't want to eat porridge or go to bed. And finally a tired parent asks: Well, what do you want then? The child calms down, talks about their desire, and the parent fulfills it, just so that he or she doesn't cry. Then this scene repeats itself, and a child habituates to their desires are always being fulfilled and only after that he or she feels good.

Egotism grows up with the child, and a person doesn't really notes it, thinking that it is a normal course of events that all their desires are usually fulfilled. When their desires are left unfulfilled, he or she feels insulted and loses peace. Probably that is the reason of depression that people have in wealthy European cities having everything they want available, including entertainment and cultural areas. Having all that, they feel themselves extremely sorrowful, as nothing really filles the emptiness of their life and soul.

And only when a person switches their attention from themselves to anybody and their needs or some business they have to do for anybody, they feel warmth inside, they find themselves needed and useful, and having their desires left unconcerned they work and live for somebody or something and that cures their soul and filles their life. That is what the Gospel said about a "healthy" Christian egotism, if we can say so: "If any man desire to be the first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all" (Mark, 9:35)

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 22:15

amasaltsevaДата: Суббота, 14.10.2023, 15:12 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
I absolutely agree with Gerondissa Marina. Pride indeed is one of the worst passions. A person who is proud of themselves is lead by his own self and as Gerondissa M. says, “wears a medallion” that can’t be taken off. A person who is “wearing” pride is the one who is never truly humble, the one who can’t forgive. Obviously, each sees the world through their point of view, through their own self. In that account all the people are egoists. However, sometimes we need to cast aside all the earthly and our own selves with that, what can’t be done when pride absorbs one’s heart and reigns there.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 17:04

lolosipovanikaДата: Среда, 01.11.2023, 21:26 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
I agree with Gerondissa Makrina, because our egotism and pride is the source of other sins, such us lust and gluttony. Our problem is that we always try to please ourselves and then think about others, forgetting the words of the Lord  about how our attitude towards other people should be: "love your neighbor as yourself".
And the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican is a great example, where a humble Publican is closer to God, than a proud Pharisee. The Christian should be humble, since egoism, pride is the main source of our sins.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 22:59

sasavasl15Дата: Суббота, 09.12.2023, 19:36 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
For me, this quote is very accurate and I completely agree with it. When I do bad things, I always analyze them and try to find the root cause - why did I do, think or say that? And the answer is always the same - my pride. It is the basis of every sin.
And its opposite is always love. Love for God, for others and for oneself. It is important to distinguish between selfishness, pride and
 love of self.

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Воскресенье, 10.12.2023, 20:41 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
In my opinion, we should distinguish between pride, which is related to selfishness, and healthy pride of something, which implies joy.

Egoism and pride are terrible things. I deal with them from time to time during arguments with people close to me. I am stubborn, and it is really hard for me to get over my pride and, for example, to ask for forgiveness first. For instance, if I quarrel with my boyfriend about something, he always apologizes first, no matter who is to blame. He says it's easy for him, but it's the opposite for me. I would like to learn from him this ability to put my egoism aside for the sake of love and kindness.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Среда, 13.12.2023, 23:26

tsvioletta17Дата: Понедельник, 11.12.2023, 13:28 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
Unfortunately, every human being is selfish in his or her own right. Let me remind you that you need to understand more precisely what selfishness is. It is not when a person loves only himself; rather, an egoist does not love himself at all. This person does everything out of personal gain.

If we really loved ourselves and remembered the second commandment "Love your neighbour as yourself", we would all love each other.

Pride and selfishness are probably the mother and father of all sins. If Lucifer had not become proud, he would not have fallen to the ground.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 00:04

sensualpie111Дата: Понедельник, 11.12.2023, 21:26 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
I find this quote very profound, because grains of pride can be found even in the most pious actions and thoughts. The Pharisees, for example, were confident that they were serving God correctly, but they were hypocritical and proud, and it was pride that motivated their actions and prayers. They tried to do good, only so that other people would see it and honor them for it. Pride is the hardest thing to detect in yourself. After all, we often give gifts or give compliments to people not entirely from the heart, but in order to please others and feed our pride. That is why we should heed the words of Gerondissa Makrina and try to eradicate pride, which can be the fly in the ointment of good pious intentions.

Para Julia

veronikachernykh15Дата: Вторник, 19.12.2023, 15:19 | Сообщение # 11
Майор
There is no doubt that pride is inherent in every person on earth. This is a vice that God has endowed man with. For us, this is the driving force, rarely are we guided by humility or piety to comprehend new knowledge, to achieve success, - but by the pride of our parents, family and, in the end, to be proud of ourselves.  It seems to me that pride is an inevitable sin, but it is important to thank the Lord for all your achievements.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 00:25

lisaswan001Дата: Среда, 20.12.2023, 13:50 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
This quote emphasises the overpowering nature of pride and selfishness, describing them as the first passions that take root in a person. Gerondissa Makrina portrays pride as an inevitability, comparing it to a locket that cannot be removed. This echoes the Christian understanding of pride as a fundamental obstacle to spiritual growth and moral development. For me, this quote serves as a reminder of the constant struggle against self-centredness, encouraging the practice of self-reflection and the cultivation of humility in daily life. Overall, it emphasises the need to combat pride, encouraging a spirit of humility for personal growth.

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Воскресенье, 24.12.2023, 15:48

salomiagudovaДата: Пятница, 22.12.2023, 15:36 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
I agree with Gerondissa Makrina. Indeed, pride is a widespread passion. I mean, of course, pride as this feeling that you are better or more important than other people, a synonym in this particular meaning to egotism. I think that almost every person to a degree suffers from pride. In my opinion, it stems from the fact that we, obviously, can truly experience life only from our perspective, we cannot jump into another person’s head. I say “truly” because human beings have this wonderful thing called empathy and so we at least partially can put ourselves in another person’s place, we can imagine their feelings, we can try to see the world though their eyes. By the way, I strongly believe that this is the biggest reason why we should read fiction, because fiction can connect us to different people in different circumstances with different set of beliefs.

My point is that because of the way we are, we experience this world as if each of us is the main character of the story. And so of course at least at some subconscious level we think that we are more important that other people. It is understandable and maybe unavoidable. But we still must struggle against our pride, because we are not better than other people. We must remember about the importance of humility and keep our pride in check. “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted” (Luke 14:11.)

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Пятница, 22.12.2023, 15:36

alekssander-com29Дата: Пятница, 22.12.2023, 20:18 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
In Orthodoxy there is no such division to cardinal and venial sins as in Catholicism but the concept of seven deadly sins is common almost for all the branches of Christianity and pride is one of those sins. Which shows that it`s deeply rooted in Christian teaching. Lucifer`s rebellion and the fall of the angels was a result of pride. The original sin committed by Adam and Eve was also dictated by pride and desire to be equal to God.

In the Orthodox Christian tradition, the acknowledgment that egotism and pride are the first passions to take root aligns with the biblical understanding of the dangers of pride. It also might be confirmed by the lines from the Gospel: «But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble». (James 4:6 (KJV).

The metaphor that pride is a medallion that «we wear continually and can not take off» implies the difficulty of struggling with pride and fighting against it. But it also refers to possibility and necessity to get rid of it by wearing the opposite medallion of humility and virtue.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Вторник, 26.12.2023, 21:28

bondarenkodv7Дата: Суббота, 27.01.2024, 02:35 | Сообщение # 15
Лейтенант
I wholeheartedly agree with the statement of Gerondissa Makrina. Egotism and pride indeed are the first passions that take root in anyone. In my opinion, this has to do with the way we, humans, perceive ourselves and the world around us. Our own needs, desires, and emotions are far easier for us to notice and understand than needs,
desires, and emotions of other people, since we can’t perceive them directly like our own, and we have to go through additional steps of interpreting other people’s words and behavior to determine what they want or need.

As such, it is incredibly easy for any human to assume that his own needs or desires are more important than those of others, and that he should think about his own state first and care about others later – in other words, to become prideful or egotistical.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал bondarenkodv7 - Суббота, 27.01.2024, 02:36

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 274 (Gerondissa Makrina (Vassopoulou)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024