не предусмотрено.

Пятница, 03.05.2024, 16:44
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Quote 269 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 269 (St Mark the Ascetic)
Quote 269
readeralexeyДата: Четверг, 06.07.2023, 20:32 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Do not refuse to learn, even though you may be very intelligent. For what God provides has more value than our own intelligence.

St Mark the Ascetic

veronikachernykh15Дата: Четверг, 07.09.2023, 15:10 | Сообщение # 2
Майор
It seems to me that this statement accurately describes our life on earth. For me, the learning process and the opportunity to learn something new every day is the meaning of life. Without this tension and joy of the new, our life becomes dull. And I suppose that the quote also says that everything cannot be revealed to a human. However that made me think about the daily presence of God in our lives. Knowledge helps us to get closer to Him but we can never know His intentions.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 00:29

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 07.09.2023, 20:22 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант
I think, St. Mark's point is: be fresh, think, live. Because if you move, it means that you are alive. And this works in both ways: spiritual and fleshy. For instance, Oblomov is the example of bad way of life for your body. A human's purpose is to come close to God, so we need to work hard, become better, kinder and smarter. And  as Socrates once said: "I know that I know nothing", we should try and learn more about God and this world, and once we know more, we will know less and in this way became closer to God. And it's a big mistake to stop searching and thinking, and to suppose that we have learnt everything about this world, which is, in fact, impossible.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 23:04

yarovaya02Дата: Четверг, 07.09.2023, 21:31 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I think that knowledge is a gift of gold through which we can investigate surrounding nature through which we can recognize God as a Creator of all things - whether it is literature, music, physics, or chemistry - we understand again and again that God by His wisdom created all this wondrous world.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 16:11

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Пятница, 08.09.2023, 14:38 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
These are very true words, it seems to me that there is so much to learn about in the world: to immerse oneself in various fields of science, to read a great deal of literature. Nowadays it is very trendy to engage in self-development and that's great, as the willingness to learn new things is valuable. The more we learn about God, the more involved we feel, the more we get answers to the questions that bother us about the creation of the world, about how a real Christian should live.

marichernaya911Дата: Четверг, 14.09.2023, 11:42 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
Education, as everything in our life, is a great gift of God. There are a lot of talented young people who dream of studying at University, but cannot afford it because they are ill or have to work to make money for their living. So, having an opportunity to get higher education we shall be grateful and diligent in all disciplines.

Other examples of appreciating education are saint Basil the Great and Gregory the Theologian, who, being fervent Christians, did not recieve baptism for decades for studying at pagan academies, where best philosophers taught them different disciplines.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 22:23

amasaltsevaДата: Среда, 27.09.2023, 13:55 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I definitely agree with St, Mark the Ascetic. The world, as Leibniz said, is “Die beste aller möglichen Welten“. We can’t perceive unfathomable mines of our Universe, which is a perfect creation of God. However, it seems the more we learn, the closer we may get to Him. The name of a Greek philosopher Xenophon comes to my mind. Living in the 5th century before Christ, he rejected polytheism and taught of one God. And though he wasn’t quite right in his ideas, he got closer to the Truth by reflecting, learning and using the power of man’s intelligence.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 17:00

sasavasl15Дата: Суббота, 09.12.2023, 18:34 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
This quote from St. Mark the Ascetic serves as a reminder that no matter how smart we are, there is always something new that can be learned and appreciated in what God gives. It helps to remain humble and patient in our pursuit of knowledge, recognizing that there is always something beyond our own intelligence. It is impossible to reach the limit in studying a particular phenomenon, it is important to realize this, but not to stop learning new things.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Четверг, 14.12.2023, 19:30

tsvioletta17Дата: Понедельник, 11.12.2023, 18:33 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
Actually any knowledge is given to us from God. He teaches us through different things, events and people around us. God has also put our intellect in us. Nothing happens without God's knowledge and it means that nothing is accidental. We need to absorb every occasion when we can learn something good, because if it was not useful to us, the Lord would not have allowed this or that event in our life or would not have given us this or that person.

sensualpie111Дата: Понедельник, 11.12.2023, 20:24 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
I believe that these words of St. Mark are needed so that people understand that they should never stop learning.  I agree with his statement, because God is incomprehensible and people will never be able to fully understand him and the whole essence of the world that he created.  Therefore, we can endlessly learn and God can give us new knowledge and understanding of existence.  Also, we should not rely only on our own intelligence, forgetting about God.

Para Julia

lisaswan001Дата: Среда, 20.12.2023, 12:32 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
The quote from St Mark Asceticus emphasises the importance of humility in learning, suggesting that God's gift is of greater value than our intellect. This concept draws a parallel with the Christian virtue of humility and the idea of giving up personal pride in the pursuit of higher truths. It encourages a humble approach to learning and interaction, fostering deeper understanding and empathy.

Ultimately, the quote encourages us to be humble and open in the pursuit of knowledge, recognising the limits of our understanding and emphasising the value of divine wisdom.

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Среда, 20.12.2023, 12:39

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 21.12.2023, 12:23 | Сообщение # 12
Лейтенант
In my opinion, being intelligent doesn't mean you know a lot. It doesn't mean you are better than the others too. We cannot know everything because we are human. It is not bad as it gives us opportunity always to know God.
Learning is a process and we, humans, have to learn all the time: learn how to walk, learn how to speak, learn how to communicate, learn how to pray, learn how to hold our peace.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Суббота, 23.12.2023, 12:13

salomiagudovaДата: Пятница, 22.12.2023, 15:25 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
I completely agree with Saint Mark the Ascetic. In my opinion, even from a secular point of view it is a good idea to never refuse to learn, even if you think that you are very smart. But I think that from a religious point of view it is even more important because as intelligent as a person can be, they cannot be more intelligent than God. And I think that if you close yourself to learning, you close yourself to God

People refuse to learn for different reasons, but let us imagine a religious and extremely smart person who thinks that they don’t need to seek out new knowledge because they already know everything. And maybe this imagined person truly knows everything there is to know on this planet and has read all religious texts in the world. But if you decide that you do not need to learn, you close yourself, among other things, to spiritual growth, because there are things that are much more important than mere intelligence. Because you can be the smartest, most intelligent person in the world and still someone who is maybe not even that smart can be much more righteous that you are and if you are willing to learn, they can help you to become a better Christian.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Среда, 27.12.2023, 13:50

alekssander-com29Дата: Вторник, 26.12.2023, 21:16 | Сообщение # 14
Подполковник
As it seems to me this quote may reflect both a spiritual and earthly wisdom, emphasizing the importance of humility and the recognition of the superiority of divine wisdom over human intelligence. It encourages a balanced view that values both intellectual capabilities and the acknowledgment of the value of God's wisdom.
It emphasizes humility, teachability, and the understanding that true wisdom comes from acknowledging the divine source of all knowledge.

From the secular point of view, it`s not as definite as from the spiritual one, because on the one hand, we learn the whole our life and through it we may embrace a gigantic amount of information which to some extent might be useful.

On the other hand, not all information we get is necessary and may be beneficial. We can`t even say for sure is it safe to get such amounts information because, as scientists say, unstoppable absorption of information doesn`t influence our brain really well

So, personally, I would agree only with the spiritual side of the quote, because speaking of it in secular
meaning requires taking into account lots of details.

Сообщение отредактировал alekssander-com29 - Вторник, 26.12.2023, 21:23

bondarenkodv7Дата: Суббота, 27.01.2024, 00:12 | Сообщение # 15
Лейтенант
I agree with St. Mark’s quote. It is often said that no matter how much you already know, every day brings with it an opportunity to learn something new (another saying, “there is no limit to perfection”, is also applicable here). St. Mark expresses an opinion close to those these  statements and explains why they are valid from the Christian point of view.

As we all know, God is omniscient, and thus possesses infinite knowledge and wisdom. In contrast, human ability to learn and absorb knowledge is limited. So, when we get a chance to learn something new, immediately dismissing it as irrelevant or not useful to us isn’t wise. We should consider that it might only seem irrelevant to us because of our perception limits, and that God, who knows everything and always has our salvation in mind, wouldn’t have presented this opportunity to us if it wasn’t relevant in some way.

Daniil Bondarenko

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Понедельник, 29.01.2024, 22:11

Форум » Религиозная лексика » Orthodox Quote of the Week » Quote 269 (St Mark the Ascetic)
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024