не предусмотрено.

Пятница, 03.05.2024, 22:00
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 94 Idioms for everyday situations and feelings - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 94 Idioms for everyday situations and feelings
Unit 94 Idioms for everyday situations and feelings
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 28.05.2023, 00:52 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Have you ever been involved in anything that worked like a dream?

Have you witnessed anything run like clockwork?

Is there anything in your personal life / in your environment / in Russia / in the world that you can say is up and running / is falling into place / is looking up?

Write three short conversations using expressions from section B of the unit.

Write a short story about yourself using expressions from section С of the unit.

Is there anything you can't get your head round?

Have you been on cloud nine recently? Walking on air?

Is there a sphere where you can say you are in your element?

Is there anything you are fed up with to the back teeth?

"You look as miserable as sin." What do you think it means? Why would people say such a thing?

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 29.05.2023, 22:40 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
"You look as miserable as sin." What do you think it means? Why would people say such a thing?

The expression "You look as miserable as sin" is an idiomatic phrase used to describe someone's appearance as extremely unhappy, sad, or depressed. The phrase suggests that the person's level of misery is comparable to the concept of sin, emphasizing a strong negative emotional state.

People might use this phrase to convey the intensity of someone's sadness or to emphasize their concern for the person's well-being. It can be used in a sympathetic or empathetic manner to acknowledge and express understanding of someone's distress. By using such a vivid comparison, the speaker intends to highlight the person's visible unhappiness.

It's important to note that this expression is idiomatic and should not be interpreted literally. The use of "sin" in this context is figurative, emphasizing the severity of the person's emotional state rather than making a religious or moral judgment.

Добавлено (29.05.2023, 22:51)
---------------------------------------------
It feels so good when the plan IS UP AND RUNNING. Once I have thought long and hard about the strategy and course of action and the result meets expectations, I am OVER THE MOON. On the other hand, when things don't go according to plan, I try not TO BE FED UP TO THE BACK TEETH because I want to save my nerve cells.

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 30.05.2023, 09:54 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник

Nature is a gift of God presented it to us. How can we not rejoice when we see a sun beam greeting us through the window. When you look at poplar seeds, which completely confuse and bring you down, and being puzzled you ask: “what is it? snow in May?!” When you can be just silent with silent nature or when you can contemplate starry night sky.

Easter
I got me flowers to straw thy way;
I got me boughs off many a tree:
But thou wast up by break of day,
And brought’st thy sweets along with thee.

The Sunne arising in the East,
Though he give light, & th’ East perfume;
If they should offer to contest
With thy arising, they presume.

Can there be any day but this,
Though many sunnes to shine endeavour?
We count three hundred, but we misse:
There is but one, and that one ever.

ПАСХА
Собрал я древесные ветви, соцветья
Собрал, чтобы ими твой выстелить путь,
Но Ты над землею взошел на рассвете
И благоуханьем наполнил мне грудь.
И солнце с Тобою в тот миг восходило,
Восток засверкал, ароматы струя.
Но нет, не соперник Тебе — светило:
Ярче восхода — светлость твоя.
Когда же так небо бывает лучисто,
Столькими солнцами озарено?
Мы думали: солнц нам даровано триста,
А есть только — Вечное Солнце одно!..

Джордж Герберт
Перевод Дмитрия Щедровицкого

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 16:23

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 30.05.2023, 11:41 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник

It seems the last time I felt like walking on air yesterday. I was over the moon when got my computer from the repair. Why was it there? I poured coffee on my laptop, that was my worst nightmare. What a pain! I thought my MacBook would die, and it threw me off completely. I was tired, devastated, down in the dumps, at a loss, it was a complete shambles. It still sends crips down my spine - all my works, my books, well, everything was on my computer. Fortunately, everything went well. I was on cloud nine.

-------------------------------------------
His words are STILL A MYSTERY TO ME, I haven’t got his point yet, though much time has passed. We definitely GOT OUR WIRES CROSSED. What did he mean by saying that? His answers THROW me COMPLETELY.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 15:55

sensualpie111Дата: Воскресенье, 03.09.2023, 23:35 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
"You look as miserable as sin" is an idiom often used to convey that someone appears extremely unhappy, sad, or troubled. People might say this to express concern for someone's emotional state or to comment on their demeanor. Obviously, the exact same comparison was chosen, because sin is a mistake that causes regret and pity. The sinner is pathetic. It's a colorful way of acknowledging someone's visible distress.

Para Julia

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 94 Idioms for everyday situations and feelings
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024