Unit 38 Talking about language - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 38 Talking about language
Unit 38 Talking about language
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 11.03.2023, 23:46 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Do you know anyone who is very eloquent?

Have you ever been lost for words? When?

Think of English phonemes which do not have corresponding phonemes in Russian (such as (s) and [θ]; [z]and [ð];  [w]and [v]). Give examples of semantic confusion which may arise from a Russian neglect of phonemic nature of these sounds.

Give examples of (witty play upon) polysemy in English.

Give examples of a metaphor in English (maybe from poetry).

Give examples of usage of obsolete and newly-coined words.

Give example(s) of jargon used in English.

Would you agree that the primary goal of a higher (esp. philological) education is to become articulate? (Watch an impassioned argument for this from an influential modern intellectual.) If yes, what is the best means towards this goal, in your view?

Mark Twain wrote: “The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter. ’Tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.” Give an example (from literature or otherwise) to illustrate a mot juste vs a malapropism.

Describe a situation when you put your foot in it.

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 13.03.2023, 22:40 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Give examples of a metaphor in English (maybe from poetry).

Metaphor is, of course, an indispensable instrument of poetry. That means that an example of its usage can be found mostly in poems. Due to this it took me a while to choose one; sometimes it’s more complicated to pick out something when you have too many possible options.

Let us take the poem written by my beloved Yeats. In “The cat and the moon” the metaphor, based on a comparison, appears at the very beginning: “And the moon spun round like a top”. Another instance I want to share would be from Donne’s “A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning”: “If they be two, they are two so As stiff twin compasses are two. Thy soul, the fixed foot, makes no show To move, but doth, if the other do”.

It’s easy to find a metaphor in poetry. However how easy it is to miss it in our daily speech, for we get used to it. If we want to reveal an example of a metaphor, we should first look it up in idioms, which often contain analogy and are figurative. For instance, one can be green with envy or in high spirits, have a long face, look under the weather or swell with pride. And the list is infinite. 

---------------------------------------------------------
It's indeed a blessing to be ELOQUENT and able to think of the MOT JUSTE. Modern people have many problems with formulating their thoughts and are getting less and less ARTICULATE. It's OK to be LOST FOR WORDS or SPEECHLESS sometimes, however, people tend to be INARTICULATE.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 15:51

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 14.03.2023, 08:06 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Would you agree that the primary goal of a higher (esp. philological) education is to become articulate? (Watch an impassioned argument for this from an influential modern intellectual.) If yes, what is the best means towards this goal, in your view?

I absolutely agree with the idea that the primary goal of higher education is to become articulate in your mind, speech and writing. That, I believe, is the purpose of higher education.  In my view, the key means towards this goal is the following.

Firstly, reading. An educated and erudite person is one who have read most of the world literature. Only that person, I believe, can enjoy the right to make a judgement about any aspect of world culture at all. That is why I find myself initially unable to work literary criticism, by the way. However, as students we have to do that, but that is the part of our education.

Secondly, deep inner life. We are happy to be Christians, so we are sustained by the teaching of the Gospel, by our spiritual fathers, by constant spiritual labor or just the habit of watching yourself inwardly.

Ultimately, by combining these two aspects, constant study and self-reflection, sooner or later a person begins to realize themselves in the context of culture and through that in the world itself, finding their place in it. This is a different aspect of self-identification. And, I believe,
having understood who they are even to a small extent, a person starts to be articulate.

My acquaintance, who works at the research department of the Theology Faculty of our University, once said that when accepting a new employee to the department, the directorship almost never looks at his or her diploma. They speak with a person, looking at the way they speak, firstly, then at their manners and the way they behave. But the articulation, the broad horizon, erudition and the ability to learn, to analyze, the ability to speak your mind orally and in writing are the qualities highly appreciated. And getting these skills I find the primary goal of higher education to consist in.

--
There are few people in my surrounding who are eloquent. Some of them make a pun easily and create new-coined words under go, as my father does, some of them speak of daily life using the metaphors and bookish, sometimes obsolete words. Some of my aquaintances find mot just  for most aspects. However, I find them just to be clear to themselves and consistent in all spheres, and consequently articulate in their mind and speech.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 16:01

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 14.03.2023, 08:51 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Languages evolve, and English is no exception. Words come and go over time, and many eventually fall into obscurity. Sometimes, this sad fate befalls even perfectly good words…words that deserve another chance at life.  One of such obsolete words is growlery.

The word “growlery” was created by Charles Dickens.  It means “a place where you can retreat from the world when you’re in bad mood.” Frederick Douglass liked the word so much that he built a “growlery” of his own in his Cedar Hill home. According to the National Park Service, it was “a tiny stone cabin” that “contained a single room with a fireplace. Douglass kept it simply furnished with a desk, stool, and couch. He retreated here to do some of his deep thinking, writing, and reading in seclusion.”

“Sit down, my dear,” said Mr Jarndyce. “This, you must know, is the growlery. When I am out of humour, I come and growl here.” — Charles Dickens, Bleak House

MODALITY is expressed by the use of MODAL VERBS.

There are 33 CHARACTERS in the Russian alphabet.
When you are a speaker, you shouldn’t be either SPEECHLESS, or LOST FOR WORDS, you should be ARTICULATE, ELOQUENT, speaking in a SUCCINCT way, knowing the MOT JUSTE.

[size=12]2

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 16:43

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 14.03.2023, 10:52 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
Have you ever been lost for words? When?

Of course I will choose this topic! for me, this is always relevant. :)

No matter how sad it is, I often get lost in words. But it used to be much more common. I have a habit of speaking Russian quickly and sometimes in inarticulate manner. Thoughts overtake my tongue.

When I speak English, my thoughts often get in the way and I get lost in words. I can't always find the right word or make mistakes. I think this is normal when learning a foreign language. I would like to improve my speaking skills and speak more beautifully and correctly in two languages.

["To be lost FOR words" and "to be lost IN words" is not the same thing. You need to address the question or formulate it yourself in a different way. The idiom, however, requires "for" and has a particular meaning.]

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Пятница, 16.06.2023, 18:54

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Вторник, 14.03.2023, 10:53 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
Give example(s) of jargon used in English.

Jargon is the speech of a social or other group united by common interests, containing many words and expressions different from the common language, including artificial, sometimes conventional ones, reflecting the tastes and needs of the group. Thus, professional jargon is a set of simplified words to denote the concepts that are used by professionals in a particular field.

There is a glossary of artistic jargon to explain a lot of strange terms and foreign phrases. Here are some examples:

Assemblage
Assemblage is a visual art technique akin to collage, but using three-dimensional details or entire objects arranged on the plane like a painting. It allows for painterly additions of paint as well as metal, wood, fabric and other structures. Assemblage was evident in the revolutionary art movements during the first quarter of the twentieth century in France, Russia and Germany.

Diptych
The word diptych means double, consisting of two parts. In the Middle Ages, this word was used to describe a double folding icon (an icon consisting of several icons) with a pictorial or relief image. Diptychs have been popular with artists for centuries. As a rule, two panels were simply closely related to each other, although it could have been the same image that continued on the other panel. For example, a landscape painter would paint a scene on two panels that, as a whole made up a single image.

Drypoint
Dry needling is a metal engraving technique that does not use etching, but is based on scratching strokes on the surface of a metal board with the point of a hard needle. The resulting board with the image is a form of gravure printing.

Kitsch
Kitsch, translated from German as hackwork, tastelessness, "cheapness," is a cultural and aesthetic category that includes clichéd works of art of serial production. Kitsch objects tend to copy popular aesthetic objects and locations.  Indeed, for artists, kitsch works were hackwork, just a way to make a living; for art critics, they were tasteless; and for art lovers, they were cheap. But consumers buying such works were not embarrassed by this at all.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 18.06.2023, 15:15

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 14.03.2023, 11:03 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
Business Jargon Examples
bang for the buck - a term that means to get the most for your money.
best practice - the best way to do something.
core competency - basic strength of a group or company.

obsolete words – crapulous, grumpish –  groak

newly-coined words:
Affixation:
  anti-masker Compounding: coronacoma, zoom bombing, virus-fighting (firms), virus-imposed (restrictions/ distance learning),
Blends: coronanoia (corona + paranoia); coronasomnia (corona + insomnia); lockstalgia (lockdown + nostalgia);
Compounding and affixation: circuit-breakers, lockdowners

---------------
POLYSEMY is quite common in English. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to the CONTEXT. SOME of these words are often used METAPHORICALLY.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Понедельник, 29.05.2023, 12:07

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Пятница, 17.03.2023, 11:18 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
Performing in front of an audience isn't an easy task for many people, since most are stressed out by speaking to listeners. To feel more confident, it's worth watching various TED speakers for inspiration from people who know how to deliver their thoughts in an ELOQUENT way. In most cases they possess well ARTICULATED speech, which makes them easy to understand. Over time, if you practice speaking in front of an audience you will stop being stiff and LOST FOR WORDS.

sensualpie111Дата: Воскресенье, 03.09.2023, 23:46 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
Obsolete Words:
1. Thou - This archaic word was once used as the second person singular pronoun, but it's now largely replaced by "you."
2. Henceforth - While still used in legal or formal contexts, it's not commonly used in everyday language. It means "from this time forward."

Newly-Coined Words:
1. Selfie - Coined in the age of smartphones and social media, "selfie" refers to a self-portrait photograph taken with a mobile device.
2. Fintech - This term emerged with the rise of financial technology and refers to innovative financial services and technology-driven solutions.
3. Cryptocurrency - As cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin gained prominence, this word was coined to describe digital or virtual currencies that use cryptography for security.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Воскресенье, 03.09.2023, 23:47

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 38 Talking about language
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024