Unit 32 The animal kingdom - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 32 The animal kingdom
Unit 32 The animal kingdom
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 19.02.2023, 22:50 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Describe your experience with any representative of the animal kingdom. Use as many words from the unit as possible. You may also want to add multimedia illustrations. 

anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 24.03.2023, 18:14 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
Describe your experience with any representative of the animal kingdom. Use as many words from the unit as possible. You may also
want to add multimedia illustrations.

The Caucasian State Natural Biosphere Reserve is the largest mountain and forest reserve in Europe and one of the oldest reserves in Russia.

It was founded in 1924. The fauna of the Caucasian Reserve is extremely diverse. Magnificent meadows, highlands and virgin forests provide almost unlimited opportunities for the existence and reproduction of a wide variety of WILD animals.

The reserve is home to more than 200 species of birds, more than 60 species of MAMMALS, different REPTILES, CARNIVORES, PREDATORS, 23 species of animals are listed in the Red Book.

One of the representatives of herbivorous is the каvkaz Caucasus red deer, whose life expectancy is 14 years, they are opposite to the adjectives as being TAME and DOCILE, as they are WILD and are afraid of people.

Males can be aggressive and FIERCE to each other.

I’d also like to tell you about Caucasian bison.

In ancient times, bison lived all over Europe, but humans have always exterminated these animals with special zeal. By the beginning of the First World War, there were about 500 bison in the Caucasus, and in 1926 the last three were killed. The question arose about the restoration of the population. The International Society for the Conservation of Bison was organized, which in 1932 counted the number of bison worldwide. There were only 30 of them! To preserve the species, a quick way of salvation was invented — crossing a purebred bison with an American bison. The method worked. Today, more than a thousand individuals roam the reserve, but POACHERS continue secretly shooting animals for THE FUR TRADE or just enjoying BLOOD SPORTS which is truly sad. Bison are very careful. They do not pose any danger to humans, unless, of course, they specifically irritate the animal.

The slide show

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 03.05.2023, 16:13

tsumskaa30Дата: Вторник, 25.04.2023, 21:56 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I’d like to write about my beloved cat Tisha. He lives with my parents now but ten years ago he was just a poor STRAY kitten found at the doorway. We were shocked when we saw him: a bag of bones, ginger kitty. Now his weight is more than five kg, he has huge paws, and wonderful fur, he’s self-confident and pompous.

Although Tisha is not WILD as he became DOMESTICATED and his NATURAL HABITAT is our flat, he‘s wilful and not DOCILE at all. Sometimes it seems to me that my cat is sure that he is the only master of our house and we are just his guests who behave contrary to his expectations.

To tell the truth, Tisha can be TAME from time to time, especially when he’s hungry and his only choice is to be as gentle as possible.

Some people suppose that cats are not as intelligent as dogs. But I can say that Tisha is really sensible and wise. He doesn’t really like travelling by car as he feels sick. And so, every time when my parents are going to the countryside and want to take him with them, he hides so that nobody can find him. It is remarkable that his behaviour can’t be explained reasonably because my parents don’t show him their intention, he just feels what is going to happen in several hours. Sometimes we are even afraid that he has escaped from the flat and got lost but then calm ourselves as we’ve already experienced this numerous times.

I really enjoy observing Tisha’s behaviour, trying to guess his logic and wishes.

My sentences:

In fact, I’m not afraid of CARNIVORES or PREDATORS just because I’ve never met them, fortunately. However, some stories about SAVAGE bears and lions are scaring. What worries me more are insects who can be also FIERCE, in my opinion, at least. When I was a first-grade pupil and saw a fly approaching to me, I creeped under the desk out of fear and refused to return back! I wouldn’t mind if these insects BECOME EXTINCT, though it may sound selfish. But I’m not a POACHER, just have this kind of phobia.

katyadorniakДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 21:11 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
I'm going to tell you about a certain mammal that lives in my home. Technically, it's my brother's pet. It's a cat named The Cat.

When my brother adopted it from the animal rescue shelter, I expected him to give it a cute name like Whiskers or Mittens. But this savage creature was not like any other feline I've met. The fierce hunter at night left us sleepless and scared, and when it came to bathing, it was like trying to tame a wild beast.

It showed us, that it is not just fluffy little pussy, it is The Cat, night hunter, poacher of our bare feet at night.This unnamed, hardly domesticated everything-vore omnivore is docile only with my brother. Good thing I live in the dorm most of the year...

My cousin Sergey had always loved animals, so he was thrilled when he landed his dream job as a zoo-keeper at the local WILDLIFE PARK. He spent his days taking care of everything from the FIERCE lions to the DOCILE rabbits. Lots of animals there were saved from POACHERS and PREDATORS, redeemed from BLOOD SPORTS and secured from FUR, HORN and IVORY TRADE.

One day, a group of ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS stormed the park, protesting against the captivity of the animals. He had to protest, explaining that those animals won't survive in their NATURAL HABITAT.

When I visited him last summer, he took me to the local ANIMAL RESCUE SHELTER and BIRD SANCTUARY. His only regret was that he will never see a real DODO, which became EXTINCT hundreds of years ago.

As we watched the animals in the park, we marveled at the DOMESTICATION of some species, such as the rabbits and the rats, and admired the fierce strength of the UNTAMED CARNIVORES and SCAVENGERS. He taught me that HERBIVORES are not always safe to approach and that RODENTS are important for the food chain.

Animals came in all shapes and sizes, from the WARM-BLOODED MARSUPIALS to the COLD-BLOODED REPTILES. But they are all special in their own way, WILD or not, they need our help.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

abalakinan27Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 21:27 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
Talking about my experience with animals, I have never seen any MARSUPIALS but it is my dream. Especially, I would like to observe KANGAROO'S baby in the POUCH. Furthermore, I have seen RODENTS like mice or RATS many times. I'm itching to see a wild HERBIVORE, that is a DEER. I'm afraid of PREDATORS, SCAVENGERS as they may be SAVAGE and FIERCE. I hate COLD-BLOODED animals. But I'm fond of WARM-BLOODED animals as they seem DOCILE AND TAME and can become easily DOMESTICATED.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Суббота, 06.05.2023, 17:32

posternaksophieДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 23:00 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
Growing up, I had a pet rabbit named Thumper. Thumper was a MAMMAL and a HERBIVORE, which meant that he only ate plants. He was a TAME and DOMESTICATED rabbit that lived in a cage in our backyard. Despite being domesticated, Thumper still had some WILD instincts that made him a fun and interesting pet to have.

Thumper's NATURAL HABITAT would have been in the wild, where he would have lived in a burrow and spent his days foraging for food. However, as a domesticated rabbit, he was used to living in a cage and being fed by humans.

Unfortunately, not all animals are as lucky as Thumper. Many animals end up in ANIMAL SHELTERS because they are abandoned or mistreated. These shelters provide a safe haven for animals to receive medical care, food, and shelter until they can be adopted into loving homes.

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 08.04.2024, 18:59 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
My family used to have a dog, her breed was a sheepdog. Her name was Pifarhia, but for short we called her Pifa. Such an obedient and docile dog she was! She even could accomplish some commands, such as: “Sit/ Give paw”.
Moreover she was very thankful. When mother fed her, Pifa would lick her hands showing her affection and gratitude.
We liked to go for a walk with Pifa, to run with her. Also she made us laugh when she spinned around herself, trying to catch her own tail.
Such a kind and funny friend she was!

These doves are so docile and tame, they are likely to be domesticated.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 08.04.2024, 19:02

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 09.04.2024, 15:26 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of rodents (rats specifically) and reptiles as pets. I'm all for the classics. Cats, dogs, hamsters or parrots.

You know those families where there have always been and will always be pets? Like "and I have two cats" "and I have a dog, we got it when I was born".... Well, my family's not like that. In my whole life I've had a hamster at most and a parrot at least. That's nice, of course, but I've wanted a dog since I was a kid. I reread cynology books, reviewed all issues of the program "Introduction to Dog Studies" or otherwise "Dogs 101" (this is a very cute and informative English program). In fact, I have a dog. It's a dachshund named Lina. She travels with me around the cities of Russia, I fall asleep with her every night. The only disadvantage is that she is not very lively, or rather, plush. It was my parents who decided either to console me or to play a trick on me, and gave me this plush dog about 7 years ago.

I love cats too, but if I was asked what dream I'm most looking forward to, I would say a dog....

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Вторник, 09.04.2024, 15:26

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 09.04.2024, 16:30 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
When I was a child there was a cat in our family. Initially he was stray, and was taken home from a tourist camp by my elder brothers. The cat was gray with black and bright stripes, with green eyes, always a bit moody, but so docile that he never even scratched me when I annoyed him as a child. Well, almost never.

When we came to the countryside with our cat, he found himself in his natural habitat. He brought home rodents and lizards, could be gone in the forest for few days (and then a few times my father had to bring him down from a tree, from which he meowed pitifully). Several times we found our cat at our neighbors’ house – he loved them because they fed him sausage and allowed him sleep in their bed (my parents never did).

Our cat lived much more than 20 years (no one knows exactly how old he was as he was taken from the street). In his last years he was a great friend for my grandmother - once we left him to her for summer time, when we went on vacation, and she asked to leave him to her as a pet friend.

--
1. Dogs often eat grass, despite the fact they are far from being herbivore. Rather, they are scavengers. 2. Kangaroos belong to the marsupials, because they carry their cubs in a pouch on their bellies. 3. Dodo has become extinct.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 22.04.2024, 23:43

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 09.04.2024, 16:42 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
When I was a child, there were always pets in our house. At first it was the fish that my sister and I gave names to and made up different fairy tales about. But some of the fish turned out to be predatory and gnawed the tails of other fish. Then we got turtles.Dad often had gladiatorial fights over shrimp. Then we got hamsters and a parrot. The hamsters lived for three years. We had a big plastic ball in which they could run around the apartment. There were a lot of funny stories about hamsters. The female was very combative and freedom-loving, while the male was very domestic, quiet and calm. Therefore, the female tried to escape from her cage all the time and every night we caught her, or in the morning we searched for sounds and crumbs in the corners.
The parrot lived less, I hardly remember it. He loved flying around the apartment, pecking at the black spots on Mom's T-shirt and making nests out of our hair.
Now a cat named Puhly lives with my parents, as well as a Pekingese dog. Her name is Taya. The cat came to us as a kitten and went through a lot. She is very wild, likes to run away and to sit on the window frame, hunting birds.
The dog appeared in our family three years ago. It's a pretty sad story. My grandmother's brother died of a stroke and left his wife with this dog. But his wife had Parkinson's disease and couldn't move on her own. My parents took care of her and at some point borrowed the dog. But three months later, his wife died and the dog now lives with us. And this is the most cheerful creature in our family. She hunts for socks and sometimes snores.

-----------------
A DOCILE animal is often seen as tame and DOMESTICATED. While its WILD COUNTERPART can be quite SAVAGE. The cat was once a WILD and FIERCE PREDATOR. But it has been domesticated over time and is now known for being docile and tame.

Прикрепления: 1966776.jpg (180.9 Kb) · 2941597.jpg (111.9 Kb) · 4937341.jpg (134.7 Kb) · 7000673.jpg (222.4 Kb)

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Среда, 24.04.2024, 19:00

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 13.04.2024, 23:16 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник
We have two dogs: a pedigree dog and a mongrel. I want to tell you about the latter. Six years ago, an acquaintance of our family's friend was walking in the neighbourhood woods with her shepherd and found a box with four puppies at an abandoned house, and we took one of them. I suggested we name him Forest because he was found in the forest. Isn't that original? Yes, it is. So Forest is an amazing dog: he is a very DOCILE creature. At first, we thought he'd be afraid of us, he'd be a FIERCE dog, but we were wrong. Yes, he is much more cautious in comparison with our second dog towards people, but he is much more grateful and intelligent. To be honest, even if he had become unfriendly we wouldn't have given him to the SHELTER, as we have already become very attached to him and I think he has become attached to us.

Добавлено (13.04.2024, 23:22)
---------------------------------------------
I respect ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS a lot. Probably this is due to the fact that in my childhood I watched many films about dogs and when I saw POACHERS there I hated them terribly for their attitude to animals. I am fine with hunting, if it is necessary for people, for example, they need to feed their family, but if it is about entertainment like BLOOD SPORTS I am categorically against them.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Понедельник, 22.04.2024, 15:14

sensualpie111Дата: Вторник, 16.04.2024, 13:52 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник
For as long as I can remember, I was really fond of animals. I had many large and beautiful encyclopedias with colorful pictures of wild and domestic animals. I have never been afraid of animals, unlike my mother, who is afraid of rodents such as mice and rats, cold-blooded animals and reptiles. However, when I was 14 years old, I got rats, they were very clean, docile and tame. Throughout my life I have had many pets, such as cats, dogs, rabbits, parrots, sea and land turtles, chinchillas, guinea pigs. There was even a time when two little goats and a peacock lived in our apartment kitchen. My little sister always shared my fascination with animals, but I was more interested in birds and herbivores, such as horses and deer, while my sister was more interested in carnivores, especially big cats.

Animal rights activists fight against such phenomena as poachers and blood sports. If these phenomena are not dealt with, then many animals, such as the giant panda and the snow leopard, may become extinct, like the dodo. Every year there are less fur, rhino horn and ivory trades due to animal conservation and the construction of game reserves.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Вторник, 16.04.2024, 19:28

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 16.04.2024, 23:06 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
Once my younger brother was entreating parents to buy a rabbit. He was whingeing about that so much that they could do nothing but buy it. It all happened during covid times, when my family and I were living in the countryside, so looking after a rabbit wasn’t that difficult. What is more, it was extremely cute and fluffy (that’s why we called it Fluffy Fluffy pants) - nobody dared to be against having it.
From May till September Fluffy Fluffy Pants was living happily in our countryside homestead. He was living in a wide cage in the middle of the garden, he was eating fresh dandelions and was playing from morning till night. It all ended when we had to move back to Moscow. Fluffy Fluffy Pants moved with us. Obviously, an apartment wasn’t the best place for it (and he was stinking...), so we gave him to our friends (they live in the house and have enough room for a rabbit). It was love at first sight; they took him. Everything was fine until once they left Fluffy home alone. It somehow escaped from the cage and chewed all the furniture, as well as shoes, clothes, children’s stuff - everything it could find.

---------------------------------
Throughout the centuries too many species have gone extinct due to environmental changes and human activities (for instance, blood sports, fur and ivory trade). For example, the dodo, a flightless bird native to Mauritius, went extinct in the 17th century. To preserve natural habitat specific places, game reserves, are organised. What is more, there are animal shelters, where pets can be taken for temporary care.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 19:50

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 32 The animal kingdom
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024