не предусмотрено.

Пятница, 03.05.2024, 22:44
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 15 Birth and death: from cradle to grave - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 15 Birth and death: from cradle to grave
Unit 15 Birth and death: from cradle to grave
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 28.01.2023, 17:58 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
When do you think human life begins - at conception, eight weeks after conception, after birth?

What is the difference between an embryo, a foetus and a baby?

Do you think an embryo has a soul?

What is your attitude towards fertility drugs and IVF?

What is your attitude towards giving birth at home rather than in a maternity clinic? Do you know anyone who was born outside a maternity ward (at home or elsewhere)?

Would you like to have your (future) husband to be present when you deliver a baby? Why (not)?

Have you ever been around a woman in labour? A woman giving birth? What does it feel like?

Would you like to live to a ripe old age? Why (not)?

What is your attitude towards institutions like sheltered accommodation?

Do you know anyone with dementia?

Do you believe you are going to die?

Have you ever been at a funeral? Are all funerals alike? Is it good or bad for you to attend funerals?

Have you ever been at a wake? Was it more about mourning or celebrating the deceased person's life?

What outward expressions of mourning are considered culturally appropriate / necessary in Russia? What have you witnessed, if any?

Do you like to visit cemeteries? Why?

Would you like your body to be buried or cremated after you pass away? Why?

Has anything been ever bequeathed to you?

To what extent do you think people should interfere in matters of life and death with things like contraception, fertility drugs / IVF, abortion, life support for the terminally ill, euthanasia?

marichernaya911Дата: Воскресенье, 29.01.2023, 22:07 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
I am sure that human life begins at CONCEPTION. Orthodoxy teaches that at this very moment child’s soul is coming into existence. Evidently, the embryo, which is to become a human, starts its fetal development after the conception. After that moment everything a PREGNANT woman faces, her thoughts and feeling, of course, food that she eats etc., influence on the FOETUS. It is also said that the spiritual condition of a woman during her PREGNANCY, starting with the conception, influences on a child, their character and personality.

However, the mystery of a child growing inside a woman is spiritually covered. But we can always be guided by the teaching of the Holy Fathers not to make a mistake in almost any question we have.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 16:06

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 30.01.2023, 13:50 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Have you ever been at a funeral? Are all funerals alike? Is it good or bad for you to attend funerals?

To tell the truth, although I believe in life after death, I am scared of dying and the topic of death is kind a taboo for me. I understand  that it is a problem -- I do need to change my attitude toward that theme at least for a reason that we all will die one day, and I can’t just ignore this fact. In this case it may be wholesome to attend funerals. What is more, sometimes it is extremely important to face your life in perspective of your death. That’s why I’ve decided to write about it.

If it comes to me, I suggest I have a trauma and that’s why it’s so difficult for me to go to funerals and wakes. When I was twelve, I attended my six-year-old cousin’s funerals and I still remember everything: how bad was the choir, the smell of white lilies, the taste of my tears, the clothes I was in and the face of my aunt. Since then, I’ve been to several funerals and each time I couldn’t overcome my emotions, and yes, they were all similar.

-------------------------------------------------------
One would say it's weird, however he indeed didn't want to live to a RIPE OLD AGE. He was afraid of decrepitude, DEMENTIA, being at all DODDERY and GAGA, and not having HIS WITS ABOUT HIM. Truth be told, I can understand his logic and each time he touches upon this topic I remember lyrics of Alphaville's song: "Let us die young or let us live forever".

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 15:44

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 30.01.2023, 22:05 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник

More than 1.5 million people in Russia suffer from dementia. My grandfather on my father's side belongs to this number. He turned 82 in November. And he has been suffering from dementia for about a couple of years. Signs of dementia include forgetfulness about recent events and names of people, increasing difficulties in communication, behavioural difficulties, including aimless walking and asking the same questions, and, perhaps the most frightening of all, disorientation.

By the way, a couple of months ago, a beloved physical education teacher from our school, who was already retired, got lost. He was also suffering from dementia and the news that he had left home for an evening walk and was lost shocked a huge number of people who knew him. Hospitals and acquaintances were called, and the Liza Alert search and rescue team was called in. The search lasted less than a day and, luckily, our teacher returned home himself, saying that he had spent the night with some kind people, no one knew who they were, but that was unimportant in relation to the fact of his safe return home.

This is really terrifying. A grown person loses his orientation and cannot even understand where he is, why he is there, where he was going. I know a very powerful and touching film that I recommend you to watch, called 'Still Alice'. Hollywood actress Julianne Moore played the lead role in this film, for which she won an Oscar. The main character Alice is a professor of linguistics at the university, she is married and has three grown-up children, gradually she starts forgetting words, events, phone numbers and addresses. She goes for her usual run and realises in a moment that she doesn't know where she is and why she is even there. This film is definitely worth spending your evening on.

Going back to my grandfather, I want to say that it is a great joy for our whole family that he remembers everyone. My grandmother is 6 years older than my grandfather, she is 88 years old and fortunately she's not at all doddery and takes care of grandfather every day from morning till night, despite the fact that she is not at her best. This is a wonderful example of caring for your loved one no matter what.

Добавлено (30.01.2023, 22:19)
---------------------------------------------
I am a happy person as I have never had to face the death of someone close to me, but I have been to a FUNERAL. Although in Orthodoxy it is considered that the human soul is eternal, thoughts of the DECEASED and the pain of loss tear BEREAVED ones apart. I think it is painful to look at a close one lying in a COFFIN and realise that he or she has gone.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Понедельник, 30.01.2023, 22:19

sasavasl15Дата: Понедельник, 30.01.2023, 23:26 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник

There was a person in my life who suffered from such a disease as dementia. It was my stepbrother's grandmother. In fact, this is a pretty scary phenomenon and I will try to explain why. When my brother came to our family, we often visited his grandmother, walked with her, talked, even played volleyball sometimes. At first glance, she was an ordinary elderly woman, quite active, cheerful and very caring.

But then during another conversation, she suddenly began to tell that someone was secretly living in her apartment. Then I heard from my parents that her paranoia was growing, she changed the locks on the doors twice, hides valuables and can't find them. Later she was admitted to the hospital, but then I didn't understand why. Once a month, me, my brother and my sister came to her, talked, brought her favorite food.

One of the times she was brought in, she didn't recognize us. She sat with empty eyes and asked the nurse who we were and what we wanted from her. Another time it was even worse, because she started screaming, she was very scared of my brother and mom. In the future, my sister and I no longer came to her, and I only know that she was transferred to another psychiatric hospital, where she died.

This is a very terrible disease, from which not only you suffer, but also people close to you, because it is unbearably hard to see how your loved one slowly loses his mind and forgets absolutely everything. And I can't imagine how difficult it is to experience it yourself.

-----------------------
I am old and DODDERY enough to count on your constant help and care. So don't expect me TO PASS AWAY soon. And when I die, my ASHES will be placed in an hourglass and stand in your living room, so that even after death I remind you of the transience of time.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Понедельник, 30.01.2023, 23:27

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 31.01.2023, 00:09 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
Do you like to visit cemeteries? Why?

As for me, I think that visiting cemeteries is a good idea. There is some stillness, tranquility and serenity. This is a place where we can more distinctively understand that a human is not just a body, but an infinite soul also, that there is the everlasting life. Here we can more clearly realize that the departed are present, we understand that there are close ties between them and us. We remember our relatives and commemorate them. 

Добавлено (31.01.2023, 09:02)
---------------------------------------------
My grandparents are PENSIONERS. My grandma is so sportive, she is not a DODDERY at all.
One of my grandfathers has already PASSED OVER.
Children should be grateful to their parents, because they GAVE them BIRTH.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 14.06.2023, 12:44

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 31.01.2023, 12:33 | Сообщение # 7
Подполковник
Have you ever been at a wake? Was it more about mourning or celebrating the deceased person's life?

This question seemed to me the most interesting. I remember as a child, when I was 11-12 years old, I attended the funeral service for the first time. This was not my relative, but a parishioner of the church to which my family and I went. I realized that he was dead, but I didn't understand what was happening and why it happened. A slight chill ran over my skin. It was a
little scary. Then my father's friend said to me like this: "if you were given a million dollars, but they said you wouldn't get it right now, would you want to get it sooner? so with death, a person only moves to a better place for himself."

I remember those words to this day. Since then, I have attended another funeral service when a priest died in my city, everyone knew him and loved him very much. At night, Dad read the Gospel at his coffin (let me remind you, this is a tradition) and I went with him. I couldn't get to the body, tears were pouring out of my eyes.

This is waiting for each of us to learn how to accept it.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 21:08

sensualpie111Дата: Воскресенье, 03.09.2023, 23:51 | Сообщение # 8
Подполковник
What is the difference between an embryo, a foetus and a baby?
"Embryo" is the term for the earliest stage of development, "fetus" is the term for the stage of development during pregnancy, and "baby" is used to describe a human organism after birth. These terms are used to distinguish between different phases of human growth and development. However, as the Orthodox Church believes, at every stage of development, a person has an immortal soul.

Para Julia

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 15 Birth and death: from cradle to grave
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024