не предусмотрено.

Четверг, 09.05.2024, 10:17
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 24 Dinner’s on me: entertaining and eating out - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 24 Dinner’s on me: entertaining and eating out
Unit 24 Dinner’s on me: entertaining and eating out
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 03.12.2022, 21:44 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
When you eat out with somebody, do you usually split the bill?

Have you ever been anybody's guest / wined and dined by somebody? What did it feel like?

Can you name a place in Moscow with impeccable and quick service, courteous waiters who go out of their way to please customers?

Describe a restaurant you have been to, naming its positive and negative features.

When there is a choice, do you get yourself a larger or a smaller portion of dessert? Why?

Do you have a sweet tooth or prefer savoury things?

Are you a fussy eater? If not, do you know anyone who is? Describe what it means to be a fussy eater.

Do you know anyone who is teetotal?

Have you ever overdone it?

Is it usually ok to take pot luck at your place?

Have you ever been at a dinner party? If yes, do you prefer dinner parties or informal get-togethers?

When did you last want seconds?

Have you ever survived on nibbles?

In fast food restaurants, do you usually eat there or get a takeaway? Why?

tsumskaa30Дата: Пятница, 10.02.2023, 17:53 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Do you know anyone who is teetotal?

I’m going to tell about a whole family who is TEETOTAL.

To start with, I got to know a man who was about 24 and who had taken vows of sobriety, or TEETOTALISM. He took it in the Church and it meant that he would be teetotal till the end of his life.

First of all, his father who is an Orthodox priest, decided to take this vow. He explains that he did it in order to show an example to his kids. In fact, all his children followed his decision.

This idea may sound OFF-PUTTING but many teenagers even want to be teetotal. This vow is available to be taken from 14 years old. But if it is a teenager who takes this oath, then it will last only until 18, not for the term of his/her life.

Why do people make such a decision? One of the teenagers explained that it’s because when somebody invites him to JOIN THEM to be WINED AND DINED, he doesn’t want to GO OUT OF HIS WAY to reject the offer but he’d rather say that he has taken the vow and is now teetotal.

But one of the most exciting moments was when my teetotal friend was preparing for his wedding. Obviously, his family consisted of FUSSY EATERS and had particular DIETARY REQUIREMENTS but they decided to organize a DINNER PARTY. No one was allowed to BRING A BOTTLE, everybody TOOK POT LUCK. At first, their wedding seemed to be rather gloomy and SULLEN because there were much fewer cheerful faces, nobody wanted to dance. However, then some teachers of the Russian folk dances were invited and it defused the tension. At the end of the wedding nobody OVERDID it, the atmosphere was IMPECCABLE and the state of health next morning was just ideal.

My sentences
To tell the truth, in my childhood I have never been a FUSSY-EATER, I always TOOK POT LUCK. I didn’t HAVE A SWEET TOOTH, and didn’t need to be CALORIE-CONSCIOUS. My parents didn’t have to GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to make me eat as I sometimes even asked for SECONDS.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Пятница, 05.05.2023, 20:36

abalakinan27Дата: Четверг, 09.03.2023, 14:04 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
My sentences:
I was WINED AND DINED by my friends not so long ago. We visited two restaurants. We visited the Dilara and the Tofu Vegan. In the Dilara the service was IMPECCABLE. The waiters were COURTEOUS, they tried to GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to please us without being OVERBEARING. The opposite situation was in the Tofu Vegan. The service was a little bit SLUGGISH. They seemed to be SULLEN , rather BRUSQUE and as a result we found it really OFF-PUTTING. We cannot recommend going to the Tofu Vegan. On the country, The Dilara is a right place for INFORMAL GET TOGETHERS, DINNER PARTIES or dates. But they don't provide any TAKEAWAYS.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Вторник, 18.04.2023, 12:33

katyadorniakДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 22:34 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Describe a restaurant you have been to, naming its positive and negative features.

I have been to a restaurant called "Starlight Diner" recently, and here is my assessment of the place.

Positive features:
- The restaurant had an IMPECCABLE interior décor. The ambiance was cozy and inviting, making me feel comfortable as soon as I entered.
- The PORTION size of the dishes was perfect. I didn't feel like I was OVERDOING IT or that the food was insufficient.
- As someone who is CALORIE-CONSCIOUS, I appreciated that the menu had many healthy options. The restaurant catered to people who wanted to watch their calorie intake and still enjoy a delicious meal.
- The staff was COURTEOUS and went out of their way to ensure we had an excellent dining experience.

Negative features:
- Unfortunately, the restaurant did not have any options for people who HAVE A SWEET TOOTH. The dessert menu was limited and lacked variety.
- One of the waitresses was SULLEN and BRUSQUE, which was OFF-PUTTING. It was surprising to see such behavior in an otherwise COURTEOUS staff.
- The chef was OVERBEARING and did not accommodate dietary requirements well. Despite my requests for a vegan dish, the restaurant served me a dish that contained animal products.
- The service was SLUGGISH, and the wait times were longer than usual, which made us feel frustrated.

Overall, despite the negative features, I would recommend "Starlight Dine" to anyone looking for a healthy and delicious meal in a cozy ambiance.

«JOIN US FOR DINNER,» my sister invited me over the phone, and I happily accepted, excited to catch up and GRAB A BITE with her. «I'll BRING A BOTTLE of wine» I offered. «And you know, you don't have to put together anything fancy, I'll TAKE POT LUCK.»
«BE OUR GUEST,» she said, welcoming me into her home for a DINNER PARTY with a beautiful set table. «Would you like to eat NIBBLES while we wait for the main course?» «I don't want to OVERDO IT, I've GOT A TAKEAWAY earlier today» «SAY WHEN,» she said, pouring me a glass of wine as we chatted and snacked on seconds during the evening. It was very nice evening: it was better than being WINED AND DINED at the a fancy restaurant.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 03.05.2023, 11:41

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 23:43 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник

When I eat out with somebody, I usually prefer to SPLIT THE BILL. As a TEETOTAL, I don't drink alcohol, and sometimes the WINED AND DINED culture the culture of wining and dining can be a bit OFF-PUTTING. I don't mind if others want to indulge, but I prefer not to GO OUT OF MY WAY to accommodate their drinking habits. Additionally, I'm not a fan of FUSSY EATERS or people with specific DIETARY REQUIREMENTS. However, if I'm invited to a DINNER PARTY, I'll BRING A BOTTLE or a dish to share. I don't like to be SULLEN or difficult, but I have OVERDID it before and regretted it. I try to maintain an IMPECCABLE attitude and TOOK take POT LUCK when it comes to food and drinks.

-----------------------------

• His TEETOTALISM was sometimes OFF-PUTTING to his colleagues who loved to be WINED AND DINED after work.
  • She didn't want to GO OUT OF HER WAY to accommodate her friends' FUSSY EATERS or DIETARY REQUIREMENTS, so she suggested they all JOIN THEM for a potluck instead.
  • He offered to BRING A BOTTLE to the DINNER PARTY, even though he was a TEETOTAL, to ensure everyone had a good time.
  • Despite not being familiar with the cuisine, he TOOK POT LUCK and tried everything on the menu, impressing his hosts with his adventurous spirit.
    • She regretted OVERDID overdoing it at the party and became SULLEN when she realized she had violated her own rule of maintaining an IMPECCABLE image.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 03.05.2023, 11:47
  •  
    anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 11:07 | Сообщение # 6
    Подполковник

I really like to EAT OUT, but I don't like to pay the bill. However, I very rarely allow myself to be paid for, because it makes me feel like I owe something. Usually, the exception is my brother and parents, who can pay for me if they want. If I’d like somebody TO BE MY GUEST, I won’t SPLIT THE BILL, I'll let a person know in advance that this LUNCH IS ON ME.

In fast food restaurants, do you usually eat there or get a takeaway?

I almost never eat in fast food restaurants, I always take my order with me. Usually, it is quite dirty, loud and uncomfortable in such places. People are SULLEN and not very COURTEOUS there. It's much more enjoyable to take your juicy burger and eat it somewhere in the park, if the weather allows.

Добавлено (28.04.2023, 11:11)
    ---------------------------------------------

I recently visited an Italian restaurant called Osteria Mario. It was a cozy, inviting environment with an impressive selection of Italian specialties. The pasta dishes were good and the sauces were rich and flavorful. The service was excellent, and the waiters were friendly and attentive. The restaurant also had a wide range of Italian wines from well-known vineyards.
    On the negative side, the restaurant was quite noisy and it was difficult to carry on a conversation. The pizzas were a bit undercooked and some of the flavors were a bit bland. In addition, the prices were a bit high and the portions were a bit small. Despite these issues, Osteria Mario was a delightful experience and I would definitely recommend it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Let's SPLIT THE BILL tonight; it's only fair.
    2. Don't worry about it, dinner IS ON ME tonight.
    3. We're going to that new restaurant tonight; would you like to JOIN US?
    4. Thank you for having us over for dinner, please let us BE OUR GUEST next time.
    5. I always feel so WINED AND DINED when I go to that fancy restaurant.
    6. The service at that restaurant is always IMPECCABLE, they go out of their way to make sure you're happy.
    7. I always feel so SLUGGISH after eating at that fast food place.
    8. His OVERBEARING attitude towards the server was OFF-PITTING. off-putting
    9. The staff at that restaurant always go OUT OF THEIR WAY to make sure you have a good experience.
    10. The waitress was so BRUSQUE with us; I don't think we'll be going back there.
    11. I'm trying to COUNT THE CALORIES, so I'll have a salad instead of a burger.
    12. He doesn't drink alcohol; he's a TEETOTAL.
    13. I'm a FUSSY EATER, so I have some DIETARY REQUIREMENTS.
    14. I'm having a DINNER PARTY next weekend; you should come over.
    15. Let's have an INFORMAL GET-TOGETHER at that new pizza place tonight.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 03.05.2023, 11:55

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 20:02 | Сообщение # 7
    Подполковник
    In fast food restaurants, do you usually eat there or get a takeaway? Why?

I don't have A SWEET TOOTH, so when I want to GRAB A BITE TO EAT, I prefer something SAVOURY. I usually go to fast food restaurants. Although I'm a FUSSY EATER, I find a few meals to my taste. My favourite fast food is cheeseburgers and fries. I rarely eat in such restaurants because they are always overcrowded. More often I get a TAKEAWAY and go home or sit somewhere outside if it's warm.

Now I'm trying to lose some weight, so I have to be CALORIE-CONSCIOUS these days.  I don't COUNT THE CALORIES but I reduced having NIBBLES and eating fast food.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Среда, 03.05.2023, 16:01

posternaksophieДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 23:45 | Сообщение # 8
    Подполковник

SPLITTING THE BILL when eating out with somebody is a common practice nowadays. It is a way to share the cost of the meal and avoid any awkwardness or discomfort that may arise from one person paying for everything. However, the decision to split the bill can depend on various factors such as the nature of the relationship between the diners, the occasion, and the financial situation of each person.

One argument in favor of splitting the bill is that it promotes equality and fairness. If two people have shared a meal and enjoyed it equally, it seems only fair that they should also share the cost equally. Splitting the bill also avoids any potential power dynamics that may arise when one person pays for everything. It ensures that both parties have an equal say in the decision-making process and eliminates any sense of indebtedness or obligation.

On the other hand, some people may argue that splitting the bill can be impractical or even unfair in certain situations. For example, if one person has ordered significantly more expensive items or drinks than the other, it may not be fair to split the bill equally. Similarly, if one person has a much higher income than the other, they may be able to afford a more expensive meal without feeling any significant financial burden.

Добавлено (28.04.2023, 23:56)

Food preferences are unique to each individual, and one of the most significant distinctions is whether one has a SWEET TOOTH or prefers SAVORY things. Some people crave sugary treats, while others prefer salty or spicy flavors. Both types of preferences have their benefits and drawbacks, and it ultimately comes down to personal taste.

Having a sweet tooth means that one has a strong preference for sugary foods such as candy, chocolate, cakes, and pastries. These foods are high in calories, sugar, and fat, which can lead to weight gain and other health problems if consumed in excess. However, they also provide a quick boost of energy and can improve mood and mental focus.

On the other hand, preferring savory things means that one enjoys foods that are not sweet but rather salty or spicy. Examples of savory foods include pizza, burgers, fries, chips, and spicy dishes. These foods are often high in sodium and fat, which can also lead to health problems if consumed in excess. However, they can provide a feeling of fullness and satisfaction and are often more filling than sweet foods.

Добавлено (28.04.2023, 23:58)

Surviving on nibbles alone is not a sustainable or healthy way to maintain a balanced diet. Nibbles are often high in calories, salt, and sugar, and lack essential nutrients such as protein, fiber, and vitamins. Consuming too many nibbles can lead to weight gain, increased blood pressure, and other health problems.

Additionally, nibbles are not filling enough to provide the necessary energy and sustenance needed for daily activities. They may provide a temporary boost of energy, but it will quickly fade, leaving one feeling hungry and unsatisfied.

It is crucial to have a balanced diet that includes a variety of foods from different food groups to ensure optimal nutrition and health. A balanced diet should include protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, beans, and lentils, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats.

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 02.04.2024, 01:11 | Сообщение # 9
    Подполковник
    Are you a fussy eater? If not, do you know anyone who is? Describe what it means to be a fussy eater.

I'm actually picky about food. I don't eat dairy products (except cheese, which I absolutely adore), I just hate cow's milk in its pure form, the smell of it makes me sick. I mean, you know those "pasta in cream sauce" dishes that everybody loves? Well, that's not me at all. What do you often see on a Russian person's table at lunch? Salads with beetroot, cholodets, Russian borscht or shchi, aubergine rolls, courgette pancakes for instance.... Okay, all that I DO NOT EAT. Is that weird? Quite possibly...
    But I'm very, if I may say so, stable in my food choices. I can have the same breakfast for a couple of weeks and never get bored of oatmeal or sausages. When I go to a restaurant, I always choose what I'm going to order very quickly. But naturally it won't be creamy pasta or something with beetroot.

I can easily call myself a sweet tooth. Since childhood, I have loved sweets and ate them despite my allergies. I ate quite a lot of sugary things, as I think I do now. A year ago I gave up sugar and all kinds of cakes and pastries, yep, it was my conscious choice..... I just woke up one winter day and realised I was eating a lot of sweets. Then I found out that there are a lot of sugar free sweets with sweeteners and I switched to them. It helped control my sweet cravings, but I still love and eat it. A fun fact: when my mum was pregnant with me she didn't want or eat sweets at all. Apparently, I'm having a blast for two.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 01:50

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 02.04.2024, 11:49 | Сообщение # 10
    Полковник
    Have you ever been anybody's guest / wined and dined by somebody? What did it feel like?

My brothers sometimes invite me to have a meal with them. It is our informal get-together. Usually they choose and order what to eat and drink, because they know what dishes are worthy. As a rule lunch is on them, and I am the guest. I really like when we gather together, of course the main thing is not to eat something tasty but to see each other, to tell how we live and to support each other.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 22.04.2024, 20:08

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 09.04.2024, 16:02 | Сообщение # 11
    Полковник
    Have you ever been anybody's guest / wined and dined by somebody? What did it feel like?

To tell the truth, I rarely visit friends to have dinner party or something like that. If I do, it is usually just an informal get-together where we drink tea with some desserts – there is often a lot of of them there as I always bring something, and, of course the hosts prepare something sweet for tea. For me as a person who has a sweet tooth these are always quite pleasant days. Some nibbles such as nuts and fruits are also usually present at such meetings, but no alcohol – most of my close friends are teetotal.

However, once I was treated at my friends’ home in a special way. They cooked some big white fish (I have forgotten it’s name) and invited me personally to try it together with them – my friend, his wife and their daughter. They treated me so kindly and impeccably, going out of their way to oblige me that I, despite the fact of being pleased with such care, was extremely shy, and it made the evening much more nervous than joyful. That is why it is always a trial for me to be treated as a guest. But to feel love and kindness of friends, having time together, is always a great joy.

--
    1. It is always embarassing for me to be anybody's guest; it is better for me to split the bill when I eat with somebody together. 2. Music in the majority of restaurants is too loud and obsessive, so we find it just off-putting. 3. He's a fussy eater, but it's because of his health problems: he has strict dietary requirements, so we have to go out of our way to cook meal he would eat. 4. During Lent it is necessary to be abstinent and not to overdo it. 5. When visiting friends, you have to take pot luck. Don't be a fussy eater.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 22.04.2024, 23:46

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 13.04.2024, 23:31 | Сообщение # 12
    Полковник

I consider it normal TO SPLIT THE BILL at any eating place. I can invite friends or family somewhere, say that I would like them TO BE MY GUESTS, and say that IT'S ON ME. And if someone takes me out to eat, I am WINED AND DINED, I am always ready to pay for myself.

Добавлено (13.04.2024, 23:34)
    I'm not A FUSSY EATER. But if we talk about my food preferences, I'll be honest, I HAVE A SWEET TOOTH. But I try not TO OVERDO IT.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Суббота, 13.04.2024, 23:32

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 16.04.2024, 22:00 | Сообщение # 13
    Полковник

As a child, I had a sweet tooth and was very fond of all things sweet - chocolate, candy, cookies. But maybe it's because my parents are devoted to healthy food. Therefore, candies and chocolates appeared to us on holidays or when my mother was given sweets by students at work. So a certain ban on sweets made this fruit more desirable.
    And when I went to university, I realized I was addicted to sweet food. I used to eat a bar of chocolate in an evening, especially when I was sad and my brain wanted to get more fast dopamine.
    But now I can definitely say that I prefer savory things. Sweets are on the back burner and I think twice before buying or eating a chocolate or a candy.

2. The waiter's brusque attitude towards the customers was off-putting.
    3. Despite the sluggish service, they decided to stay and dine.
    4. A sullen response from one member caused tension.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Среда, 24.04.2024, 18:57

amasaltsevaДата: Вторник, 16.04.2024, 22:23 | Сообщение # 14
    Полковник

Obviously, it all depends on the company and, widely, - on the “context”. When I get together with my friends, I always split the bill, unless somebody wants eagerly to make me their guest. When I am going out with male friends the moment of “paying” becomes more problematic, as it may somehow influence the way you should treat your relationships. The thing is that I have quite many male acquaintances and do not treat them as “boys” (I know, that sounds funny, the thing is that gender becomes “vague” when it comes to friendship). In this case they sometimes want to act as gentlemen and make all know chivalry still exists. When my friends have this kind of mood, I let them pay, however, they know that I can easily split the bill.

---------------------------
    We were eating out at that new Chinese restaurant for a change. (It was worth going! Though I am a fussy eater, I found the food there fantastic. It was so delicious, I was near to overdo it - I couldn't help eating those Asian sweets.) I wanted to split the bill evenly between us that time, but he was against it, so I was wined and dined.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 19:50

sensualpie111Дата: Вторник, 16.04.2024, 22:50 | Сообщение # 15
    Подполковник

I was recently in a restaurant called "Tea Heights". I was very pleased with my choice of place for a date and here's why: 1) I have a sweet tooth, and the menu of this restaurant consists entirely of various pancakes, ice cream and tea. Even if you are a fussy eater, you will find something to your liking, as the variety of flavors is truly amazing (for example, this is where I first saw juniper ice cream with pine nuts). 2) For those who count calories but want to indulge in something sweet, this place has many positions of sugar-free ice cream and protein pancakes (without flour). 3) The waiters in this restaurant are courteous and go out of their way so that when you leave you will be in a good mood. However, there were also disadvantages. 1) Since the menu consists only of sweets, you won’t be able to find something savory there. 2) This is a place for those who understand types of tea, so all the tea there is imported, high quality, but really expensive for the average person.

Last period of exams I survived on nibbles, since I had absolutely no energy or time to cook normal food for myself. However, since I ate nibbles while I was studying, I did not watch the amount I ate and often overdid it. This led to weight gain and stomach problems. So now I am calorie-conscious and have dietary requirements, since the doctor told me to exclude certain types of foods from my diet.

Now I'm teetotal and more than five years have passed since the last time I asked to bring a bottle. I asked to pack the leftovers, but the waiters were so sluggish that I couldn’t wait any longer, went home, and on the way stopped at the store and got a takeaway. Women used to not mind when a man said “Let me get this” on a date, but nowadays they increasingly want to split the bill.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 03:36

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 24 Dinner’s on me: entertaining and eating out
    • Страница 1 из 1
    Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024