Пятница, 03.05.2024, 17:38
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 16 Free time: relaxation and leisure - Страница 2 - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 2 из 2
  • «
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 16 Free time: relaxation and leisure
Unit 16 Free time: relaxation and leisure
anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 15:13 | Сообщение # 16
Подполковник
Статус: Offline
When it comes to sport, do you prefer to be a spectator or a participant?

I'm definitely a participant. I am lucky because I grew up in a city where you can practice almost any sport, both summer and winter.  For example, in a ski resort you can go snowboarding or skiing, try biathlon.  The Olympic Park has both a football stadium and an ice arena for hockey and an ice rink for speed skating, figure skating or curling.  There are also many bike paths.  The presence of mountains makes it possible to engage in hiking sports. And in general, excellent weather and a delightful climate are conducive to a healthy lifestyle and sports.

I love being active in general and have tried many sports. Skiing always takes my breath away.  I feel free and unstoppable. I took up dancing since I was 4 and I absolutely loved it.  That was my favorite sport ever.
I immediately took to tennis.  However, unfortunately, this sport is too expensive, since you need to pay for a coach, an assistant, and rent an entire court.
I would really like to try basketball.  I think this sport would suit me, as I am quite tall and fast.  Basketball is connected to American culture and history, which is also very interesting to me. I would also like to try swimming, but I don't really like deep water, sea and lakes.  But if you overcome fear, then everything will work out.

1. I like to spend my leisure time gardening – it's such a RELAXING activity.
2. I didn't think he was into gaming until he HOOKED ON to the latest video game.
3. She seems to BE really INTO photography; she's always talking about it.
4. The alarm clock on my phone WENT OFF, and I knew it was time to get out of bed.
5. She's such a KEEN PARTICIPANT in all the school activities.
6. Sorry, I can't make it to the party; my DIARY'S FULL this week.
7. Sometimes, I just want to LOCK MYSELF AWAY from the rest of the world and read a good book.
8. I used to be a COACH POTATO, but now I make an effort to exercise during my LEISURE TIME.
9. I find doing household CHORES to be a relaxing way to unwind after a long day.
10. She's an AMATEUR artist, but she's always looking to improve her skills.
11. I'm just a DABBLER when it comes to cooking, but I enjoy trying out new recipes.
12. Photography used to be just a hobby for him, but now it's become a LUCRATIVE PURSUIT.
13. He was APPRECIATIVE of the thoughtful gesture she had made.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Пятница, 28.04.2023, 15:36

katyadorniakДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 21:28 | Сообщение # 17
Полковник
What activities do you find calming?

As an amateur knitter, I often find myself locking myself away on the couch, indulging in my newfound hobby. While it may seem time-consuming to some, I find the repetitive motion of knitting to be incredibly therapeutic and calming.

As a self-proclaimed couch potato, knitting allows me to stay in my comfort zone while still being productive. Overall, I love knitting and the sense of accomplishment I feel after completing a project.

My close friend Anna had always been a WORKAHOLIC, filling her FULL DIARY with a variety of activities to keep herself busy. She was a KEEN PARTICIPANT in everything from art classes to yoga, always searching for something new to GET UP TO. However, she was also HOOKED ON her vices, and found herself struggling with new addictions. She was destroying her body as an ALCOHOLIC and emptying her accounts as a SHOPAHOLIC.

After hitting rock bottom, Anna decided to turn her life around and do more THERAPEUTIC things. She LOCKED HERSELF AWAY in her apartment and WENT OFF the grid for a few weeks, focusing on her recovery.

As she slowly began to rebuild her life, she discovered new hobbies and interests. She became a DABBLER in the arts, an AMATEUR chef, and even started taking on her own CHORES. She also discovered the joy of being a COUCH POTATO, relaxing with a good book or movie instead of constantly being on the go.

But most importantly, she became a CULTURE VULTURE, immersing herself in the arts and exploring different cultures. She found it to be both therapeutic and REWARDING, and even began making a LUCRATIVE career out of it.

Anna's journey was TIME-CONSUMING and at times difficult, but it was also CALMING, FRUITFUL, and ultimately life-changing and REWARDING. She was no longer the person she used to be, but rather someone new and improved.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Пятница, 28.04.2023, 21:30

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 23:52 | Сообщение # 18
Подполковник
Have you ever done anything therapeutic?

I have a few THERAPEUTIC things which make me feel good.

Firstly, it’s watching YouTube. It’s a very RELAXING activity for me. I usually watch something funny to let my brains relax. I really become A COUCH POTATO, LOCK MYSELF AWAY and can spend the whole day watching videos.

Secondly, I like shopping so much that I call myself a SHOPAHOLIC. Sometimes shopping can be TIME-CONSUMING and I can spend lots of money but it gives wonderful emotions instead.

And finally, taking a hot shower is the most CALMING thing in the world. While taking a shower I really meditate, water relaxes me and I always feel so much better after it no matter how terrible my day was.

amasaltsevaДата: Четверг, 07.09.2023, 14:33 | Сообщение # 19
Полковник
Is there anything you are heavily into / hooked on these days?

Recently I’ve been hooked on reading American literature. Long story short, I realised I’m quite an amateur or even a dabbler when it comes to that subject. As I can’t help feeling not being professional in my sphere enough, I intended to buy a course of lectures on the history of American literature but, lucky am I, I was given it as a birthday present. Several months have passed but I am still heavily into reading the Greatest American novels.

-------------------------
Mostly all of the CHORES are difficult and TIME-CONSUMING. But can they be REWARDING somehow? The answer is definitely “yes”. Some scientists have proved, many house chores, doing the dishes or tidying your own room, for instance, can be CALMING, RELAXING and even THERAPEUTIC.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Четверг, 07.09.2023, 16:14

tsvioletta17Дата: Четверг, 07.09.2023, 15:10 | Сообщение # 20
Подполковник

They say you also need to be able to rest. A person gets stressed and tired mainly in the following cases: when he leaves his comfort zone, when his brain is straining. You may read a book, listen to a podcast, watch a movie — these are thrilling relaxing options, but they are not quite of high quality. Listening to the next podcast on psychedogy, you are saturated with information, your brain does not rest. When on your day off you go to some new place - it's cool of course! But everything new makes you step out of your comfort zone and get another dose of stress. This does not mean that you should not try new things or read books, but you should also give your brain a rest.

First of all, I can say that my mind rests when I practice meditation, just breathe deeply, relax my body and listen to the sounds or music that I turn on in the background. So my head is emptied and reset. Or I'm walking in the park, listening to melodies and putting my thoughts in order.

1. I’m sure that everyone should practice THERAPEUTIC activities, for instance yoga or some sports.
2. I'm not a professional drummer.
3. CHORES do not make me upset — even washing the dishes is a type of relaxation for me.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 18:35

marichernaya911Дата: Четверг, 07.09.2023, 15:22 | Сообщение # 21
Полковник
Which of your pursuits has been particularly fruitful?

Looking back, I find all the pursuits I had fruitful for who I am now. When I was at school, I was heavily into drawing. Thanks to that I studied visual arts, knew what artist did this or that painting, understood how to combine colours in clothing and, of course, could express my thoughts and emotions in paintings. This hobby was therapeutic and calming, and even now I can draw when I want, and change my daily activities to art.

Another pursuit of my youth is reading. That taught me to write prose and poetry, understand literature, and so on. For many years I used to lock myself away for hours in my room and read books days and nights long. To tell the truth, now I don't have time for that, despite the fact I am called a philologist...

---
There are pros and cons of being an amatuer. Being an amature and understanding that you can try different hobbies and be into art, literature, music and so on, without having expectations from yourself in these fields. You feel free of any responsibility, you don't need to grow in the field. But there's also a disadvantage here: it's easy to become a dabbler who tries everything but stops at nothing particularly. So, I believe, the best path of an amature is gradually becoming a professional.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Четверг, 25.04.2024, 00:15

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Четверг, 07.09.2023, 15:37 | Сообщение # 22
Полковник
When it comes to sport, do you prefer to be a spectator or a participant?

Sport came into my life when I was three years old. Then my parents enrolled me in figure skating. It was a group class, which I absolutely loved and attended for two years. And although I WAS very INTO figure skating during that time, at the age of 5 I decided that I wanted to play the violin. It was impossible to combine these two activities, so my figure skating career ended there, but in middle school volleyball appeared in my life. This is probably my favorite sport. In 6th grade my volleyball team participated in the school Christmas tournament for the first time. It was a great honor for my classmates and me, as we were the youngest team in the history of the tournament. Serious training, KEEN PARTICIPATION in city competitions with other schools, victories and defeats energized me.

I enjoyed being part of a team where I could do my best and work hard for a common goal. Now unfortunately I don't play volleyball, but hopefully this year my team will get together again and participate in the annual school tournament.

Since sport gives me energy, I decided to join a gym and have been going there for almost a year now. I like that feeling of pleasant tiredness with which I leave the gym after a workout. Ultimately, yes, I am a participant. But I also enjoy watching sports. Sometimes I watch figure skating, volleyball or tennis matches. But I like to participate more than to spectate.

Добавлено (07.09.2023, 15:52)
---------------------------------------------
Working out at the gym is THERAPEUTIC for me. It is REWARDING and makes me feel  better and stronger. I really enjoy FRUITFUL activities in a team where I can do my best and work hard.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Четверг, 07.09.2023, 15:52

yarovaya02Дата: Четверг, 07.09.2023, 21:26 | Сообщение # 23
Полковник

There are a lot of things that make me calm and relaxed, such as reading a I good book, walking and admiring nature, writing in the diary or talking with relatives.
I think that these activities give us energy and strength to proceed with our studying or work. Moreover it feels of a life with bright colorful moments, it makes us rejoice.

Hardworking is always REWARDING and FRUITFUL. Embroidering is THERAPEUTIC, CALMING and RELAXING. He is a CULTURE VULTURE, he is a KEEN PARTICIPANT in all cultural events.

sasavasl15Дата: Среда, 13.09.2023, 15:06 | Сообщение # 24
Полковник
How full is your diary, usually?

This question is quite relevant for me, since I started writing a diary from the 9th grade of school. And now I have about 10 different notebooks at home, in which the thoughts and experiences of different versions of me are hidden.
Today, keeping a diary is an integral part of the day when I write down my plans, reflect on the past day, and monitor my emotional state. Some days I describe in detail, on several pages, I add drawings and references to songs. This usually happens when an idea is born in me that I need to discuss with myself, or it may be a series of events that affect me too much.
But sometimes in my diaries you can see a short inscription "Tired. A lot of studying. I don't have time to think."  And over time, I stopped worrying that I might write little or not at all. The diary is my version of simplified therapy, in which there are no clear framework and boundaries.

[The question is not about keeping diaries (journals), actually...]

sodrozdovaДата: Четверг, 25.04.2024, 10:55 | Сообщение # 25
Лейтенант
Which of your regular activities do you find rewarding? Why?

As for me, I find useful activities those that help me feel calm and provide a good outcome from what I have done. I personally regularly engage in sewing, embroidery, drawing, and making handmade jewelry, such as from beads or polymer clay. Why do I find these activities rewarding? I believe that when I do something accurate using my own hands, it gives my brain the opportunity to rest while I work, because the work itself is not useless, as the final result is present. Additionally, I can use the products that I have created for personal use or even for sale, which can bring me some income, so it's also a lucrative hobby. Therefore, I believe such rewarding activities are beneficial nowadays, as they allow the brain to relax while also producing results that can bring satisfaction.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 25.04.2024, 16:27

veronikachernykh15Дата: Четверг, 25.04.2024, 11:58 | Сообщение # 26
Майор
Have you ever done anything therapeutic?

Therapeutic things are what helps me with my mental state: it helps to get rid of anxiety, to guide my thoughts in the right direction, calm down and generally helps me to live this life. In general, roughly speaking, therapeutic things helps to get rid of bad thoughts and think more positively. Therefore, although it is probably wrong to say this, going to church and prayer have such an effect. But if we talk about more down-to-earth things, then sports have a therapeutic effect on me, namely, I have been doing yoga for six months now. I realized that this particular sport is for me, because in yoga you do not need to do exercises against yourself and your body. You do exercises to strengthen all the processes of the body and nervous system, yoga helps to work with pain and bad thoughts. Therefore, it can be very insulting to me when yoga is immediately attributed to something sinful. Yoga for me is about something completely different, about trying to find harmony with human nature, created by God, that is, I do not communicate with the universe during practices, I do not do something mystical. Meditation is aimed at cleansing the mind of fuss and it helps to think about something higher. On the contrary, yoga makes a person healthier and stronger, not weaker and more vulnerable to sin.

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 25.04.2024, 12:10 | Сообщение # 27
Лейтенант
Is there anything you are heavily into / hooked on these days?

These days I am heavily into sports mafia. The classic variant of this game is well-known. But less people know about its sports variant. It is more logical, intellectual,  mathematical and psychological. This game can really improve your understanding of a person, your oratorical qualities and even your process of thinking. Many years ago I watched a lot of mafia tournament online and had a dream to try it by myself. About a year ago I went to a mafia club as an amateur. I won my first game and felt one of the best feeling I've ever had, I was on cloud nine. Now I've been playing mafia for almost a year and I see myself as a keen participant in mafia community, I totally hooked on mafia. I am happy about the fact, that I stopped being a coach potato and now can always go and play in sports mafia with my friends. Recently I won a tournament, and this fact really motivates me to become better and better in my hobby. But nevertheless I still enjoy every game of it, even when I lose.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Четверг, 25.04.2024, 12:32

lisaswan001Дата: Четверг, 25.04.2024, 12:24 | Сообщение # 28
Лейтенант

There are many ways in which I like to achieve a calming mood. Most of these activities take place at home, while I spend time on my own. Once a week I try to have a day just to relax after a stressful week. I usually have such a day on Saturday.

The first thing I do is read. When I read, I somehow move to another world, I have the opportunity to live a different life, to learn something new from the characters in the book. Reading can also be therapeutic, some answers to my questions and problems can be found there.

Other activities that I find particularly calming are all related to crafts. For example, I like to embroider, knit, crochet, draw or design. It helps me to see the results of my work and to relax during the time I spend doing these activities.

Of course, spending time with loved ones can also be therapeutic and calming. Real friends and family can help you feel better and relieve stress. It is very important to have days of relaxation, days when you have the opportunity to release all the stress you have in your body.

--------

Gardening can seem quite TIME-CONSUMING at first. But after a long day, there's something very THERAPUTIC about digging in the soil. It's a great way to de-stress and unwind. Watching your plants grow is incredibly REWARDING. While some evenings might be better spent as a COUCH POTATO, becoming a KEEN PARTICIPANT in your garden can be a surprisingly RELAXING hobby.
Прикрепления: 4833638.jpg (789.0 Kb) · 4623207.jpg (1.13 Mb) · 3240544.jpg (1.20 Mb) · 3830858.jpg (1.48 Mb) · 0055799.jpg (1.51 Mb)

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Четверг, 25.04.2024, 16:45

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 25.04.2024, 12:42 | Сообщение # 29
Лейтенант
1. My friend Adam was a COUCH POTATO and ALCOHOLIC. 2. He LOCKED HIMSELF AWAY for years in his beer cellar. 3. Adam was entirely HOOKED ON alcohol. 4. I felt bad for him, and decided to help: "Hey, you, a DABBLER!", - said I. 5. " What do you GET UP TO? Let's go to a theater right now! I Have a ticket for you!" 6. After we went to a theater, I made him to have a pretty FULL DIARY. 7. It was a miracle: Adam became a real CULTURE VULTURE, a KEEN PARTICIPANT in poetic community. 8. I am thankful to God, that my help to Adam was FRUITFUL, despite it was really TIME-CONSUMING and not LUCRATIVE. 9. Now Adam WENT OFF alcohol and took up sport and theater instead, which are, in fact, very REWARDING, THERAPEUTIC and RELAXING for him.

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 16 Free time: relaxation and leisure
  • Страница 2 из 2
  • «
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024