[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 2 из 2
  • «
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 14 Negative feelings
Unit 14 Negative feelings
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 13.02.2022, 23:25 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Are there things you can say you loathe doing?

Are there ideas or things that you find abhorrent? Why?

Have you ever felt an instant antipathy to someone?

Is there anyone you are antipathetic towards? Is it a problem for you? For the person in question?

Do you have a pet aversion? If so, what is it?

Are there things you are not averse to that you know other people treat with moral suspicion?

Have you ever been treated in a scornful way? If yes, what was the occasion?

Have you ever experienced scorn towards another person? If yes, what was the occasion?

What is a regular source of irritation for you?

What was the reason of your latest distress?

What do you consider to be alarming in the modern world / in the current affairs?

Why do you think people would be offhand with others?

Find an illustration (visual or textual) for the word "officious".

Why do you think a person would make ostentatious displays of their advantages, be pompous or pretentious?

Do you agree that there are more obnoxious people in Russia than elsewhere? If yes, why do think this be the case?

It is believed that boys tend to be sloppy, and girls fickle. Do you agree? If yes, why do you think this is? 

How would you define the difference between being nit-picking and true to tradition in Orthodoxy?

How would you define the difference between being child-like and puerile?

Describe the situation when you last felt forlorn / dejected / devastated / distraught / miserable.

What do you do / say when your friend is looking a bit down?

anastasiadregan864Дата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 14:59 | Сообщение # 16
Подполковник

Прикрепления: officious.pptx (2.82 Mb)

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Пятница, 28.04.2023, 15:00

katyadorniakДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 21:07 | Сообщение # 17
Полковник

I must confess that I loathe cooking fish. The mere thought of handling slimy fish fillets and the nitpicking process of removing tiny bones fills me with misery. The pungent odor that lingers in the kitchen for hours after cooking is simply devastating. And despite my best efforts, my fish always turns out either overcooked or undercooked, making me feel sloppy and incompetent.

The irritation and frustration that come with cooking fish make it a loathsome task for me, and I try to avoid it.

When the results of my exam came out, I was not surprised to see that I had failed MISERABLY. I felt DISTRAUGHT as I thought of how disappointed my parents would be.

When I broke the news to them, they were DEVASTATED. I could see the FORLORN and DEJECTED look on their faces, and it made me feel even worse.

Their reaction was not unexpected, but it was OBNOXIOUS, with a NIT-PICKING attitude towards my previous actions. They were FICKLE in their JUDGMENTS and accused me of being SLOPPY and PUERILE in my approach towards the exam. Their PRETENTIOUS and POMPOUS words were OSTENTATIOUS and OFF-HAND, making me feel even more ALARMED and DISTRESSED.

As the days went by, their OFFICIOUS ATTITUDE towards my studies became more and more IRRITATING, and their SCORNFUL remarks were ABHORRENT and LOATHSOME. I could sense their AVERSION to my failure and their LOATHING towards me. It was an ALARMING and DISTRESSING situation that I found myself in, and I couldn't help but wish that I had done better in the exam.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 25.03.2024, 12:09 | Сообщение # 18
Полковник
Вольц Бертольд «Назойливый господин»

Добавлено (25.03.2024, 12:26)
---------------------------------------------
What is a regular source of irritation for you?

I am a morgenmuffel. This word translates from German as morning grump, someone who always wakes up in a bad mood and grumbles in the morning. What IRRITATES me on a regular basis is people's attempts to have a cheerful conversation with me about something in the morning. I can rarely ever say I got a good night's sleep. I mostly wake up either in a bad mood or in a neutral, calm mood, and even in those cases I'm not particularly chatty in the morning. All my relatives know about it, but nevertheless sometimes one of them wants to share some morning joy with me, and unfortunately I can't share it with them. Occasionally I may reply in a sort of SCORNFUL way, and then of course I have to apologise and explain that I just didn't get enough sleep, and actually I'm not OFFHAND with the things they share with me. I think my grumpiness irritates them even more than it irritates me.

Прикрепления: 2078954.png (1.33 Mb)

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Понедельник, 25.03.2024, 12:28

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 25.03.2024, 22:11 | Сообщение # 19
Полковник

I believe myself to be quite a soft person, I am devoid of malice and irritability, however there is something I feel an instant aversion to. So if I were asked, what my pet aversion is, I would definitely answer: “imitation or impersonation”.

I do hate when someone is trying to make fun out of copying someone else’s behaviour, or actions, or specific manners, or whatever. I do not, obviously, mean good parody or friendly expression. The thing I’m talking about is that awful way of giggling at someone by emphasizing their weakness. For me that is offensive, and it shows absolute disrespect, not to say “scorn”. For making a specific feature grotesque and twisted is a cheap shot, the easiest way to make the one you’re mimicking feel uncomfortable. It seems the person themselves should become miserable in your eyes because of something they may even not control.

I must confess, I once did it myself. Once I was made upset by one person. I wanted eagerly to share my frustration to feel relieved. I told my friends the whole story and was quick to imitate the manner of speech of that person. Lately, I realised how stupid I was, first, to share my anger, and then to do it THAT way.

-------------------------------
I have no idea why she was so scornful and offhand with me. It seems I didn't do anything. She behaved extremely ostentatiously and in a puerile fashion. Now I only feel distressed, dejected, devastated and forlorn.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 19:49

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 26.03.2024, 11:35 | Сообщение # 20
Полковник
[size=12]What do you do / say when your friend is looking a bit down?

We should treat people the way as we want us to be treated. It is said by the Lord: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” When we are down and forlorn, we want someone to support and cheer us up, it can be made by kind words, by simple silent embrace, by tender smile. We should sympathize with another person and try to understand him by our heart. At the same time me should ask God to direct our acts and words of support, because even good deeds can not be done properly without His help.

Why does she always look so miserable and never seems to smile!
She looked forlorn, although she was surrounded by lots of people.
What puerile behaviour! You are a grown-up already!
John can’t be fickle, he is always optimistic.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 15:23

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 26.03.2024, 11:40 | Сообщение # 21
Полковник
How would you define the difference between being nit-picking and true to tradition in Orthodoxy?

Being true to tradition is a good and important quality of any believer in Orthodoxy. It means to be loyal to the commandments of the Gospel and writings of the Apostles, and to those traditions that we have accepted from those who belong to the Church longer than we do.

Orthodox tradition has a lot of such rules and commandments - they cover all spheres of our life: Church life, communication with other people, food we eat, our appearance, our thoughts and feelings, the way we work and the way we spend our free time. On each aspect there's a line in the Scripture. And if we are really eager to be "true to tradition", our mind must "float in the Bible as fish in the water", as it was said by saint Seraphim of Sarov. Probably, that is to be "faithful in what is least" and "in much" (Luke, 16:10).

But trying to be "faithful in that which is least" we should be careful not to behave as the Pharisees who "strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel" (Matthew 23:24). Being faithful to the tradition is not equal to be nit-picking neither to yourself nor especially to others. There are two main commandments we are called to fulfil: love God and our close one as ourselves. All other commandments are included in these two.

Why do you think a person would make ostentatious displays of their advantages, be pompous or pretentious?

I think that often people are behaving badly or strangely because they have deeply hidden psychological problems or traumas, which they try to disguise by being obnoxious this or that way.

For example, a person who ostentatiously displays their expensive or fashionable clothes probably got them without ease. I knew few people in my life of lower-income families, who, when grew up, dreamed to be rich and look expensive, and then bought really fashionable clothes on sales or, vice versa, spent their last money on trendy things just to feel themselves more confident wearing it and showing it off.

Likewise, a scornful person often feels an aversion to himself because of some negative experience, when he felt hatred (bulling at school or strict parents). And by behaving offhand such people try to prove/establish themselves.

--
1. When you feel inexplicable antipathy to a person whom you generally like, what can you do? - Pray. Nothing else helps. 2. Lucy experiences great abhorrence to pompous and pretentious people. 3. Julia is so puerile and fickle: you can never trust her words. - But on the other hand she's very light-hearted: I've never seen her despondent or dejected.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 22.04.2024, 23:53

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 26.03.2024, 12:40 | Сообщение # 22
Подполковник
Have you ever felt an instant antipathy to someone?

I would have a bunch of situations where I meet a person and I don't like him or her right away. I think "he or she is behaving self-consciously (or narcissistically, or it too different for example). He's definitely not my type and we won't have anything in common." And then we start communicating and become great friends. It's funny.

They say that if a person causes you emotions, even negative ones, then you are not indifferent to the person. If you are not touched by the presence and company of this person in any way, you probably are not interested in him. That is, if you say "I have an instant antipathy to him or her", it already means that you have paid attention to him/her.

Describe the situation when you last felt dejected.

We all felt dejected this weekend. I’m not going to touch on this topic too much, I just would like to say that all people perceive everything differently, actually. I am such a receptive and sensitive person, and it’s challenging to process such situations. A lot of questions appear in my head: "why is this? for what?" The common grief unites the people. The main thing is not to turn it against someone.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 01:48

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 26.03.2024, 15:23 | Сообщение # 23
Полковник

I am quite a sensitive person and when I look at my friend I can very quickly realize his mood and condition. If this is a close friend or a  family member, then most often I know what and how to say to a person if they are upset. For example, when my sister is depressed and anxious, I always order delicious food, say encouraging and motivating words, and remind how much she does, how much effort she spends on it. And in the end, I dilute the serious atmosphere with silly jokes from our childhood. 
I take great care of such a vulnerable condition among friends. And I don't always understand how to behave better. Therefore, most of the time I just ask directly how I can help in this situation. Someone wants hugs, someone wants to be distracted, someone wants to be listened to. So when I don't know for sure, I always clarify.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Среда, 24.04.2024, 18:56

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 13.04.2024, 23:42 | Сообщение # 24
Полковник
If I see that someone is POMPOUS, I'm more likely to feel ANTIPATHY towards him/her. Often I turn out to be right, as this person turns out to be PRETENTIOUS and SCORNFUL. I can tell right away that such a person is OFFHAND.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Вторник, 16.04.2024, 23:41

sensualpie111Дата: Вторник, 16.04.2024, 22:04 | Сообщение # 25
Подполковник

I don't have many things I loathe doing. However, washing can be considered one of these. I find the texture of some wet fabrics abhorrent. Plus, sorting laundry by color and fabric type irritates me. I also have an antipathy to watching horror films, as the jump scares and suspense make me feel alarmed and anxious for several hours after watching them. That's why I never watch them with my friends.

I think that my pet aversion has always been such a thing as lying. I consider people who are not honest with me to be obnoxious, since lying is disrespecting your interlocutor. I also believe that flattery and pretentiousness are also a form of lying. In the first case, the person is misleading about his attitude towards you, and in the second, he is deceiving both himself and the others about his importance and seriousness. When one of my friends became more pompous and pretentious, I was devastated and gradually stopped communicating with her.

Para Julia

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 14 Negative feelings
  • Страница 2 из 2
  • «
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024