[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 2 из 2
  • «
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 22 Talking about books
Unit 22 Talking about books
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 29.09.2021, 16:47 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Write a blurb for a work of fiction (Russian or English) without revealing its title or character names for your classmates to guess what book it is.

Give an example of compulsive reading you have had recently.

Describe a book you know which was ahead of its time.

Have you read any memoirs? Did you like it? Why (not)?

Was there any book in your History of English Literature course that you would call compulsive reading? What was the most heavy going one?

Do you read in bed? What is good bedtime reading, in your opinion?

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 06.03.2023, 07:15 | Сообщение # 16
Полковник

As far as I know, Dostoevsky’s book “The Possessed” was really ahead of its time. The author could already in the 19th century distinguish increasing conflict in Russian society, which finally exploded in the 20th century, it was killing the Emperor’s Family and, consequently, anarchism.

Describing liberals, especially its representatives of a younger generation, he showed frustration of faith, of patriotism, of love and even of simple respect to parents ( the Verkhovenskys). But all those problems started much earlier, probably when noblemen preferred endless clubs and amusement to living an honourable life, serving the country and raising children in family. Dostoevsky depicted that good estate of the state directly depends on estate of families, on how people treat each other in this or that family.

Social problems increased step by step, according to the fact that people stopped being sincere and heartfelt Orthodox, people preferred their own interests and desires to church and state ones.

I think that Dostoevsky managed to predict where the Russians were rushing, and probably, it is thanks to him that revolutionary explosion was not so early and hard as it could be, but who knows.

I think that people before buying a book usually read a BLURB at first. This book is so EVOCATIVE, COMPELLING, GRIPPING, ENGAGING and LIGHTWEIGHT at the same time. You can’t just PUT IT DOWN, so COMPULSIVE READING it is. It attracted a wide READERSHIP.

2,25[/size]

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 16:29

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 06.03.2023, 22:24 | Сообщение # 17
Полковник

It seems that one of the possible features of a work of genius is that of it ahead of its time. Masterpieces of that kind are often valued long after they have been created, as well as their authors are acknowledged and admired after their departure. Why else do we have such a cliche as: “somebody was not appreciated until after his or her death”?

There is a great variety of works of that kind, for instance, those of Friedrich Hölderlin, German romantic poet, who was re-evaluated only in the 20th century. However, the book which first came to my mind was “The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman” by Laurence Stern, so I would like to choose it as the main example.

Why can we call  “Tristram Shandy” a book which was ahead of its time? To start with, it anticipated literature of the stream of consciousness that you might know by works of Woolf and Joyce. The thoughts and emotions which come constantly through human brains are depicted in a literally work as they come - without accurate order, in a chaotic way.

Another feature lies in the ending of a novel. “Tristram Shandy” stops mid-sentence - Sterne ruins the classical structure.

------------------------------
Have you read "Envy" by Yuri Olesha? If you haven't, I highly recommend you to do. It's COMPULSIVE READING, this is the book that you CAN'T PUT DOWN. It's COMPELLING, BREATHTAKING and ENGAGING.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 15:49

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Вторник, 07.03.2023, 11:13 | Сообщение # 18
Полковник

I love reading memoirs primarily because they give the reader the opportunity to look at events from the perspective of the author. Once before I told you about the book "Do No Harm. Stories of Life, Death, and Brain Surgery". This is a book written by a world-famous British neurosurgeon, secretary of the Association of Neurosurgeons of the Royal College of Surgeons of Great Britain. Henry Marsh is the author of several bestsellers, one of which I wanted to mention. This is a book about tragedies, pain, fear, weakness and strength. The book consists of real stories, closely intertwined with personal experiences and dramas of the doctor. It is kind of a journal, where Henry Marsh describes not only the operations, but also the feelings that a neurosurgeon has to face during brain surgery, because even any wrong movement will inevitably lead to disaster and death of the patient: "And after more than thirty years, I can clearly see the despair frozen on the face of a dying man when he watched me turn my back on him." He was not afraid to talk about his mistakes, which not infrequently ended sadly. It requires a lot of courage, realizing that others will learn from his mistakes. Honestly, I've never been much into medicine, but I was insanely interested in reading this compelling and gripping book.

Also, I read Agatha Christie's memoir, "Autobiography".  Although the book starts rather boring, but the further it goes, the more interesting it gets. The writer's childhood is described in great detail, and there are many descriptions of interiors and food throughout the book. Lots of admonitions, lamentations about "it used to be better." Lots of travel, but their descriptions are mostly reduced to listing cities and activities. In general, there are many detailed descriptions in the book, but they are very seldom interesting. It was curious to see that time through the eyes of an eyewitness. I liked the funny and witty sketches, dialogues, comments from the writer. I admired Agatha Christie's irrepressible thirst for learning new skills. This book has something for everyone, I guess. However, to my personal taste, it is rather long.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Вторник, 07.03.2023, 12:43

sasavasl15Дата: Понедельник, 13.03.2023, 19:32 | Сообщение # 19
Полковник
Give an example of compulsive reading you have had recently.

There was a period in my life that can be called "compulsive reading". It was the ninth grade at school when too much new and unknown literature appeared in my life. Besides, almost everyone in my class read as much as I did. Therefore, the exchange of books took place very quickly, we even distributed in what order who would read. Some of the most popular authors we had were Remark, Chuck Palannick, Huxley, Orwell and Jack London.

I remember that we constantly hid books behind textbooks, under desks, so that the teacher would not see what we were reading in class. On the way home, I walked with a book in my hands, and when I came home, I disappeared for three hours, if not for the whole day. From the point of view of psychology, I think it can be called escapism, when the world around you does not seem very exciting and bright to you, and you find a way to escape somewhere far away in a book.
Now I don't read so much and not so fast, but I analyze and think about books more. And I've already got used to this reality, I'm not trying to escape from it, but accept everything that happens.

------------------------

It was a real PAGE-TURNER. The book turned out to be fascinating and POIGNANT. I couldn't even imagine that MEMOIRS about this era will would be so interesting.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 16:33

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 18.04.2023, 16:51 | Сообщение # 20
Полковник
As for me, I don't READ IN BED very often. Actually, it is a habit of my dream. I'm really into reading but during the day I don't have right time to do it that is why night or evening bedtime is the best for me.
It can be anything like a COMPELLING TALE, a BREATHTAKING and ACCLAIMED DETECTIVE, a GRIPPING PAGE-TURNER and a bit ENIGMATIC story full of brilliant moments of INSIGHTS. Perhaps books with a MACABRE and CHILLING PLOT or kinds of POIGNANT CHRONICLES are better to put off at this time of the day. HEAVY GOING and INFORMATIVE literature is worth trying not in bedtime as there's high probability that you can't PUT IT DOWN or fall asleep calmly after reading them.

In any case you should go for something EVOCATIVE and LIGHTWEIGHT that you could GET INTO.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Суббота, 06.05.2023, 17:38

tsumskaa30Дата: Четверг, 20.04.2023, 21:14 | Сообщение # 21
Полковник

Several years ago I read a book written by Anna Grigorievna Dostoevskaya “Memoirs”. I would say that it is truly a COMPULSIVE READING. All of us have read Dostoevsky’s books which were sometimes prophetical and AHEAD OF their TIME but not everybody knows who he really was in his personal life.

These “Memoirs” are a POIGNANT CHRONICLE of the life of Fedor Mikhaylovich and his young wife, how they met and lived together for fifteen years. She was a stenographer and he was already an ACCLAIMED writer. She was just 20 and he was 44. By that time Dostoevsky had already returned from the prison, was a widower and had CHILLING debts. Moreover, he was an epileptic. Although their life was really hard, the “Memoirs” are not LUGUBRIOUS at all but not LIGHTWEIGHT either. The young wife was really caring; she did everything to ease her husband’s suffering. Anna Grigorievna also helped Dostoevsky to overcome his main passion — roulette. Their letters are filled with true love and tenderness. For example, Fedor Mikhaylovich wrote, “I’m convinced now, Anya, that I not only love you but I’m head over heels in love with you and that you are my only mistress. And that is after 12 years!”. Such living letters are just BREATHTAKING because they are sincere.

I believe that such attitude between the husband and the wife are explained by the fact that they saw the inner part of each other. This is a precious soul that determined their choice, not the externals and social status. They really respected and appreciated each other. And that is why these “Memoirs” are a real PAGE-TURNER.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Пятница, 05.05.2023, 20:42

katyadorniakДата: Среда, 26.04.2023, 02:15 | Сообщение # 22
Полковник
Do you read in bed? What is good bedtime reading, in your opinion?

When it comes to my bed time reading, I have a varied readership. reading preferences I enjoy getting into an animal encyclopedia, where I learn about different species and their habitats. It's a lightweight read and perfect for winding down after a long day. On the other hand, Alice in Wonderland is a compelling and acclaimed page-turner that I simply can't put down. The wry and enigmatic characters always keep me on my toes.
Another book that I love to read in bed is a collection of Myths, which is a product of its time and provides insight into the beliefs and values of ancient cultures. It's a gripping and evocative anthology that takes me on a breathtaking journey through the world of mythology. All in all, I love books that offer a mix of knowledge, entertainment, and emotion, making for a compulsive and unforgettable reading experience.

I believe, BEDTIME READING should be LIGHTWEIGHT, not HEAVY-WEIGHT or LUGUBRIOUS, and something that you can easily GET INTO without too much effort. A PAGE-TURNER, a COMPELLING or gripping book that you CAN'T PUT DOWN, is ideal. MEMOIRS or CHRONICLES can provide an insight into different cultures and people, while an ANTHOLOGY or PUBLICATION may offer a mix of enigmatic and EVOCATIVE stories. A WRY or POIGNANT JOURNAL or log could also be an excellent choice. An ACCLAIMED and highly recommended book could be an excellent choice for those who want something more challenging, as long as it's not too difficult to follow.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 03.05.2023, 22:51

antonryadinskiДата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 21:32 | Сообщение # 23
Полковник
Write a blurb for a work of fiction (Russian or English) without revealing its title or character names for your classmates to guess what book it is.

This acclaimed work is a gripping CHRONICLE of a prince's tragic history, filled with MACABRE imagery and LUGUBRIOUS themes. The EPONYMOUS and ENIGMATIC insights of the PROTAGONIST's mind are both BREATHTAKING and UNSETTLING, as he grapples with issues of mortality, betrayal, and revenge. Written as a MEMOIR and LOGBOOK, this book offers an INFORMATIVE and ENGAGING look into the mind of a man on the brink of madness. AHEAD OF ITS TIME when it was first published, this book is a classic that remains relevant even today for READERSHIP. Despite its heavy themes, it is a LIGHTWEIGHT read that readers of all ages can GET INTO, and once you start reading, you won't be able to PUT IT DOWN. With its timeless message about the destructive nature of revenge, this book is a must-read for anyone looking for insight into the darker aspects of the human experience. - Hamlet

--------------------------------------

Sentances: Sentences

The CHRONICLE of the haunted house was a MACABRE tale filled with LUGUBRIOUS descriptions of ghosts and ghouls. The EPONYMOUS character was an ENIGMATIC figure who kept the reader guessing until the very end. The PROTAGONIST's journey was BREATHTAKING, but the UNSETTLING events that occurred made it a difficult read at times.

The MEMOIR was incredibly INFORMATIVE, providing a glimpse into the author's life experiences.

The LOGBOOK of the ship was ENGAGING, with its detailed accounts of voyages and adventures.

The book was truly AHEAD OF ITS TIME, and its READERSHIP grew quickly.

Once you GET INTO this book, you won't want to PUT IT DOWN.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 03.05.2023, 23:21

anastasiadregan864Дата: Четверг, 27.04.2023, 23:56 | Сообщение # 24
Подполковник
Write a blurb for a work of fiction (Russian or English) without revealing its title or character names for your classmates to guess what book it is. (Quiz from our class).

1.An old sea captain obsessively seeks vengeance on a white whale. (moby dick)
2.A lawyer tries to defend a black man falsely accused of rape by a white woman in small-town Alabama during the Great Depression.(to kill the mockingbird)
3.In this famous tragedy, the main character and his wife kill the King of Scotland and take over the country. As they become increasingly unstable, bloodthirsty and paranoid, they lose all they have gained. (macbeth)
4.In this fantasy novel, a short creature with hairy feet is dragged on an adventure with a number of other fantastic creatures and the wise wizard. The group goes on a quest to take treasure from a greedy dragon. (hobbit)
5.A strange murder in The Louvre museum in Paris gets two academics caught up in a deadly religious mystery.
In this best-selling mystery novel, symbologist Robert Langdon and cryptologist Sophie Neveu become embroiled in religious intrigue. They follow ancient clues, trying to find answers that could rock the very foundations of Christianity.( "The DaVinci Code")
6.In this classic work of dystopian fiction, a meek civil servant ends up rebelling against the crushing dystopian future he lives in with a secret diary and a love affair. Rebellion is eventually tortured out of him. "1984"
7.This novel explores the events that led up to Napoleon's ultimately unsuccessful invasion of Russia. The events are explored through the eyes of five families of Russian aristocrats.("War And Peace")
9.This novel explores the life of the main character and the wealthy people who surround him. This man made a fortune in order to win the affections of the already married and shallow woman , who rejected him for being poor as a young man.
10.In this tragedy, the main character grows increasingly erratic after his uncle killed his father to take the crown. He forsakes his title, his romantic interest and everything else pursuing a very strange revenge.
11.This book explores the lives of the family, living in Hartfordshire, England. In this humorous novel of manners, the second-oldest daughter, has to come to terms with the moral and social issues of the day.
12.In this ancient story, the character makes the dangerous 10-year journey home following the fall of one city. He faces down monsters, magician and more as his clever wife, still waiting for him at home, where all people believe he's dead.
13.This poem is considered to be one of the most important works of world literature. In it, the character travels through hell, purgatory and heaven to become one with God. ("The Divine Comedy")
14.A shy little girl tumbles down a rabbit hole.

Добавлено (28.04.2023, 09:31)
---------------------------------------------

One GRIPPING and ENGAGING book that I read which was truly AHEAD OF ITS TIME was "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. It’s one of those books you just CAN'T PUT DOWN. This dystopian novel was published in 1932, long before the rise of technology and the internet, yet it predicted many of the issues that we face in modern society.
The book is set in a future world where people are genetically engineered and conditioned to fit into specific social classes. The government controls every aspect of people's lives, from their jobs to their relationships, and people are encouraged to take a drug called "soma" to escape their problems.
What makes this book so ahead of its time is the way it explores the dangers of technology and the impact it can have on society. Huxley predicted the rise of social media and the way it can be used to manipulate people's thoughts and behaviors. He also explored the idea of genetic engineering and the ethical dilemmas it presents.
Overall, "Brave New World" is a thought-provoking and unsettling book that raises important questions about the role of technology in our lives. It is a testament to Huxley's vision and foresight that the book remains relevant and thought-provoking today, almost 90 years after it was first published. For me this book was a PAGE-TURNER full of BREATHTAKING moments and INSIGHTS.

Сообщение отредактировал anastasiadregan864 - Пятница, 28.04.2023, 09:42

posternaksophieДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 22:20 | Сообщение # 25
Подполковник

Despite the challenges she faces, the young woman refuses to give up on her dreams. She knows that she wants more from life than what her small town can offer, and she is determined to make a better life for herself. However, her family does not understand her desire for independence and they pressure her to conform to their expectations.

As she continues to struggle with her conflicting emotions, the young woman meets a mysterious man who captures her heart. He is charming, intelligent, and seems to understand her better than anyone else. But as their relationship deepens, she discovers that he has a dark secret that threatens to destroy everything she holds dear.

Despite the danger, the young woman cannot resist the pull of her heart. She knows that she loves this man, and she is willing to risk everything to be with him. But as she gets closer to the truth, she realizes that the sacrifices she will have to make are greater than she ever imagined.

In the end, the young woman must make a choice between love and duty. She knows that whichever path she chooses, there will be consequences. But in the end, she decides to follow her heart and take a chance on love. And although the road ahead may be difficult, she knows that she has the strength and courage to face whatever challenges come her way.

Добавлено (28.04.2023, 22:22)
---------------------------------------------

One book that I believe was ahead of its time is "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Published in 1932, the novel imagines a dystopian future where society is controlled by technology and people are conditioned from birth to conform to their assigned roles in society.

At the time of its publication, many critics dismissed the book as overly pessimistic and unrealistic. However, as time has passed, it has become clear that Huxley's vision of the future was not only prescient, but also quite accurate in many ways.

Perhaps most importantly, "Brave New World" was one of the first works of fiction to explore the idea of a world without individual freedom or personal autonomy. In many ways, it anticipated the rise of totalitarian regimes in the 20th century and the ongoing struggle for human rights and democracy around the world.

Overall, "Brave New World" remains a powerful and thought-provoking work of literature that continues to resonate with readers today. Its themes of technology, conformity, and individualism are as relevant as ever, and its warning about the dangers of sacrificing human dignity for the sake of progress is one that we would do well to heed.

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 27.05.2023, 20:45 | Сообщение # 26
Полковник
I find it fascinating to read MEMOIRS because they allow you to look at the events described through the author's eyes. But most of all I love detectives because they are GRIPPING. Often MACABRE stories hold more interest for me than light love stories.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Суббота, 27.05.2023, 20:46

sensualpie111Дата: Воскресенье, 03.09.2023, 23:40 | Сообщение # 27
Подполковник
One book that comes to mind as ahead of its time is "1984" by George Orwell, published in 1949. This dystopian novel explores a totalitarian society where the government exercises extreme control over every aspect of people's lives, and surveillance is omnipresent. Orwell's portrayal of a surveillance state and the use of propaganda to manipulate public perception was remarkably prescient considering it was written decades before the digital age and the rise of modern surveillance technologies.

"1984" foresaw the potential dangers of mass surveillance, censorship, and the distortion of truth for political purposes. It introduced concepts like "Big Brother" and "thoughtcrime" that have become ingrained in discussions about government surveillance and privacy in the 21st century. The book's relevance has only grown over time, making it a classic that continues to resonate with readers and remains a thought-provoking warning about the abuse of power in the modern world.

Para Julia

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 22 Talking about books
  • Страница 2 из 2
  • «
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024