Форум »
Общая лексика »
EVU Upper-Intermediate »
»
Unit 046 The six senses

Это форум для учебной работы в вузе.
Участие сторонних пользователей не предусмотрено.

Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 15:51
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 046 The six senses - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 046 The six senses
Unit 046 The six senses
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 25.09.2021, 13:44 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1 What’s your favourite smell?

2 Do you prefer a hot curry or a mild curry?

3 What materials do you like the feel of?

4 Do you believe that some people have a sixth sense?

5 Have you ever had a feeling of déjà vu?

6 Have you ever had a telepathic experience?

7 Have you ever had a premonition which affected your actions?

8 Do you know any examples of premonition in the animal world?

9 Describe a memorable experience one (or more) of your six senses has had.

tsumskaa30Дата: Понедельник, 04.10.2021, 20:51 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
What’s your favourite smell?

Memorable smells remind me things which were dear to me, and they are usually associated with the days of yore.

Therefore, my favourite one is the smell of my home, where I spent my childhood, where my mother always cooked something tasty, for example, piroshki, pancakes or fried potatoes with mushrooms.

The second of the smells which I keep in mind is the smell of my grandmother. Her clothes had the smell of milk because she always milked the cows. That’s a bit strange as when I was a kid, I hated this smell but now I remember it with tenderness.

I will never forget the smell of my father’s cologne. He shaved himself early in the morning every day, and the smell of his perfume stayed in the flat till the evening. Sometimes I even felt giddy due to it, so my father uses it now only on the balcony.

Besides, I’m really fond of my cat’s smell. When I stroke and embrace him, I smell his fur and it helps me relax and get rid of everything that gets on my nerves.

Moreover, I recall the smell of my niece when she was newborn. It was my first experience of communicating with babies and I was really surprised that they have their own smell, which changes the atmosphere and creates cosiness in the house.

To conclude, my favourite smells still evoke warm feelings in me and give me the cause to smile.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Воскресенье, 07.11.2021, 12:56

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 06.10.2021, 20:33 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник

Well, I have a lot of favourite smells, I don't even know how many, and this is very interesting! Sometimes I can go  somewhere and smell something that I have already forgotten. The aroma could remind me the childhood or a particular situation in the past. For example, once I smelled a fragrance of the cake when I was walking and it was the smell of my home - I remembered how my mother baked something when I was a child!

But certainly I can name particular smells which I like the most:

I like the smell of mint. It reminds me of the country.

I like the smell of the cooked garlic. It always makes me hungry.

I like the smell just after it rained. I think almost every person likes it.

It smells very good for me, when the grass is mowed. There is something special in it.

I like the smell when it's censed in the church. I think this is the most favourite smell for me.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 13:06

posternaksophieДата: Четверг, 07.10.2021, 13:54 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
Do you believe that some people have a sixth sense?

Today it is fashionable to believe in the sixth sense such as predicting the future or seeing supernatural phenomena. However, in my opinion this so called sixth sense comes from an unhealthy interest in the supernatural and may have consequences for the mental well-being of a person.

People who claim that they possess the sixth sense are normally far from the Church and are reluctant to attend the services and take part in the Sacraments. The reason for that may be that people are possessed by the unclean spirits and are not able to come closer to Christ.

Moreover, a number of people who are said to have the sixth sense tend to deceive people with cheap tricks and pretend to see things which they actually do not see.

What is more, there are no scientific proofs for the theory of the sixth sense and therefore one cannot be sure if such thing really exists.

In conclusion I would like to add that the idea of the sixth sense has never appealed to me and people can do with the five senses which they surely have.

katyadorniakДата: Четверг, 18.11.2021, 01:39 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
1 What’s your favourite smell?

As a rule, the smells in my mind are associated with certain memories, although I like some without explanation.

I like the smell of fresh berry pies, because that is the smell of that distant summer of 2012, the smell of absolute freedom.

I like the smell of dusty, old books. When I was a child, I often had to wait for my mother from work in the school library. This is the smell of expectation, hope and endless childish interest.

I like the smell of my dorm room. It smells like my neighbor's Japanese food, lavender and the railroad. This is the smell of independence and youth, this is the smell of my second home.

3 What materials do you like the feel of?

I can't stand many materials. For example, I don't really like velvet (perhaps because I had to wear an uncomfortable velvet dress as a child), wet latex (so I don't like cleaning with gloves), or foam plastic - I just don't like its texture. My brother can't stand the feel of paper napkins.

As for the materials that I love - there are also quite a lot of them. I like to touch the silky fur of cats. I like to wear and feel my favorite fleece hoodie. I like to hug my fluffy stuffed toy that my mother sewed for me (By the way, according to research, every sixth adult sleeps with a stuffed toy, so don't judge me!). I also like to touch cold metal objects because my hands are hot all the time.

Добавлено (01.12.2021, 04:41)
---------------------------------------------
I wonder how well I own my SIX SENSES, let's check together, and let's start with THE SIGHT. I can't see well, and every time I try to PEER or to GAZE, I can only STARE, unable to see anything at first GLANCE. As for the sense of TOUCH - they say that with the visually impaired it is well developed. In this regard, I am very intolerant to various touches: I can't stand being POKED, GRASPED or TAPPED, especially by strangers. My sense of taste is spoiled by SPICY and SALTY snacks, so a lot of food seems PLAIN to me. However, the same cannot be said about my HEARING: no musical delights have dulled it, although I like to listen to music at a DEAFENING volume. It's the same with the sense of SMELL – I love strong smells, whether it's FRAGRANT incense or FOUL-SMELLING strong STENCH - it's nice to smell anything while you can.

As for the SIXTH SENSE, I'm not sure I have it. In my case, PREMONITION is easily confused with crippling anxiety, so I don't listen to it.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 16:40

vernik04Дата: Пятница, 03.12.2021, 15:00 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник

Actually there are too many smells I like, but I’ll tell you about my top three.

Firstly, I have two amazing perfumes. One is ‘Joy’ by Dior, the other is by Yohji Yamamoto. ‘Joy’ has a flowery smell with bright citrus notes, musk and sandalwood. The second perfume has a fragrance of flowers, tangerines, coriander and cardamom. They are a similar smell, but for me they are completely different. I use each of them according to my mood and event. When I need to add myself a little bit of confidence or I was invited to a party, I prefer to use Dior. For going to the theatre or to university I put on a few drops of Yohji Yamamoto. It’s very feminine and unobtrusive.

Secondly, I just love aromatic candles from IKEA. They have different smells, but my favourite are apple and raspberry.

Moreover, I love the smell of freshly brewed coffee. I have a kind of ritual to make myself black coffee in the morning and drink it without rushing.

Pleasant smells are important to me. They cheer me up and improve my emotional condition.

When I’m at home alone, I like to sit on my cozy sofa PATTING my dog. Also I burn my favourite AROMATIC candles from IKEA. I GRAB something TASTY like fresh fruit or snacks. Usually I listen to music or read in complete SILENCE.

sodrozdovaДата: Среда, 29.11.2023, 15:35 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
Do you believe that some people have a sixth sense?

I believe some people have a sixth sense. What I want to start with is that I don't see it as a kind of a magical thing. The sixth sense is something that you cannot fully trust or rely on. I know a lot of people who have very strong intuition that helps them sometimes to decide better what they can do in different situations. You can develop the sixth sense if you develop you analytical skills. Some people are good at premonition just because of their other five senses: they analyse the situation around them and quickly create in their mind the most probable variants of the future. It is very interesting to communicate with empathic people too.  For they clearly feel your state and can provide you with help if you really need it.

Personally, I believe myself to have very good intuition. Sometimes my guts tell me what to do during the sleep through my dreams, sometimes I can quickly decide what I have to do in a very tricky situations.

I think having a sixth sense is also a matter of highly developed five senses. So, you have to trust your feelings if you want experience the sixth sense, but that is absolutely okay if you don't want or have never felt to have it.

I like the smell of lilies the most. It is interesting, that so many people just hate this smell. I don't know why but some find it too sweet and strong, some find it musty.

Also, I like the smell of lilac. I find it very sweet-smelling. Last spring there were a lot of small lilac bushes in vases in my church. The nave was full of very pleasant scent. It was so calming that the service that day was something mysterious. Everybody was happy about the spring and the aroma inside helped to worship God for all goods He gives us.

When I am very tired after a long day, I prefer to keep absolute SILENCE. I ask everyone to be NOISELESS, because LOUD sounds make me feel irritated. Also I lie down on my bed and STROKE my cat and just GAZE at the ceiling thinking of the day I have just had.

Сообщение отредактировал sodrozdova - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 10:52

lolosipovanikaДата: Четверг, 30.11.2023, 12:07 | Сообщение # 8
Лейтенант
1. What's your favourite smell?

I know many people who like smelling pleasant fragrances, such as roses' aromas, but I'm not one of them. I love to smell different kinds of things. One of my favourite fragrances is the smell of gasoline. I like sitting at the petrol station, while the car is refueling. Second of my favourites aromas is the smell of paint. My mother also loves it. Maybe it's our family thing to enjoy smelling weird things.

--------------------------
1. There was a company of five friends, who argued with each other who had more acute sense. Martin said that his SIGHT is absolutely amazing. 2. He can GLANCE whenever he wants, and NOTICE anything, he can STARE indefinitely, so once he even witnessed a crime. 3. Eve said, that her most acute sense is HEARING. She can hear whatever she wants, even if it is very NOISY and LOUD. 4. Sam's best sense is TASTE: he can distinguish any of tastes: SOUR, BITTER, SPICY, SALTY, SWEET. 5. Adam said, that his sense of TOUCH is absolutely amazing, so he always STROKES his cat and PATS his dog. 6. And only Kate said that her best sense is the SIXTH SENSE - INTUITION.

Сообщение отредактировал lolosipovanika - Четверг, 21.12.2023, 11:48

lisaswan001Дата: Четверг, 30.11.2023, 12:11 | Сообщение # 9
Лейтенант
9 Describe a memorable experience one (or more) of your six senses has had.

One of my most memorable experiences with one of my six senses has to do with smell. Not long ago, my parents brought back a small bottle of perfume from one of their trips. The bottle was tiny, orange in colour, but when I opened it, my thoughts went somewhere else. I was seven years old again, and I was playing with my friends in a small town in the mountains of France, and my parents were calling us over to eat fresh pastries. We would all sit in the kitchen, eating sweets and admiring the stunning view from the hill on which the house sits. Yes, this perfume had the sweet smell of freshly baked goods of that little town from my childhood memories. Now we children are scattered all over the world. We hardly speak, but we have something similar, something very special: memories of a perfect life, the kind of treasure that no one can take away from us.
I think our five senses are magical, they can contain so many memories, feelings, they can teleport us to bygone times.

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Пятница, 22.12.2023, 00:27

veronikachernykh15Дата: Четверг, 07.12.2023, 00:19 | Сообщение # 10
Майор
Do you prefer a hot curry or a mild curry?

I adore spicy food, I can pour hot sauce into everything - sandwiches, buckwheat, pasta, pizza - it doesn't matter.  Often people around me do not understand the love of spicy food. How can you love something that burns your mouth and brings tears, but spiciness  gives me a kind of guilty pleasure. To be honest, I don't really like this habit myself, as I'm not sure about the safety of spicy seasonings and sauces, although Asians consider spicy food curative and healthy, and it is spicy food that makes up a large part of their diet. But at least I don't eat bats.

I GLANCED out of the window and SAW the granny STARING and OBSERVING an advertisement about BITTER coffee. My granny has a very good taste so I know that she will never drink SWEET coffee with sugar or with milk. So I GRABBED my phone and called her and invited to drink a sophisticated cup of coffee with me.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Пятница, 22.12.2023, 00:29

lisaswan001Дата: Воскресенье, 17.12.2023, 17:35 | Сообщение # 11
Лейтенант
The NOISY sounds of the city prevented him from concentrating on his work, impairing his HEARING. Among the chaos, he found comfort in the BITTER TASTE of his morning coffee, which provided a momentary distraction from the chaos. As he sipped the BITTER beverage, the PUNGENT flavour seemed to drown out the surrounding NOISE, allowing him to savour the moment.

Сообщение отредактировал lisaswan001 - Воскресенье, 17.12.2023, 17:37

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 046 The six senses
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024