[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 44 War and peace
Unit 44 War and peace
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 19.03.2023, 14:03 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Are you a pacifist? Why / why not?

Do you believe there can be just wars? If yes, what is it that makes a war just? Has Russia ever fought a just war?

Do you believe there can be holy wars? If yes, what is it that makes a war holy? Has Russia ever fought a holy war?

In what ways do civil wars differ from wars between different nations?

Do you believe economic sanctions to be an effective tool in international politics?

Russia has been for a year the most heavily sanctioned country in history. What impact has sanctions had on you personally?

What are the reasons for the special military operation  Russia is conducting? How far back in history can you trace them?

Do you view the conflict in Ukraine as a war between two nations or as a civil war? Support your view.

What are the stated goals of Russia in the SMO? Of the Western powers which support Ukraine? Which of these goals are likely to be achieved, in your opinion? What will the end result look like?

In Western mainstream media there has been only one narrative of the war in Ukraine, with Russia presented as an unprovoked brutal aggressor which will lose. Alternative narratives coming from Western professionals and intellectuals (such as Jeffrey Sacks, John Mearsheimer, Ray McGovern, Scott Ritter, Douglas Macgregor, Alexander Mercouris, Brian Berletic et al.) are to be found only in alternative media (YouTube etc., see here, for instance). At the same time, we in Russia have massive access to the Ukrainian perspective and to frontline footage in social media. Reflect on the impact of digital media on the perception of war and the problem of free speech and propaganda at wartime.

Are you currently waging war on anything? If yes, what is it?

Have you ever been besieged?

Do you view life as a battle or as a marketplace?

Have you ever been campaigning for/against anything? What was the result?

How important is unseen warfare in Christian life?

Do you think there is a connection between readiness to fight a spiritual war and to participate in a real war?

A paradoxical apology of war belongs to Dostoyevsky (see some excerpts here). Do you agree? (Keep in mind that these opinions belong to an imagined character.)

Is there a battle/war scene painting that you find inspiring/moving? Describe it and provide an illustration, if possible.

Is there a book / film about war that you find interesting? Speak about it.

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 20.03.2023, 20:33 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник

The movie "Hacksaw Ridge" is one of the greatest examples that describe military life in all its colors and passions. Mel Gibson directed the war drama "Hacksaw Ridge" («По соображениям совести») based on a true story with Andrew Garfield in the title role. The film received six Oscar nominations.

The main character of the film, Desmond Doss, is an average working man from Virginia. He grew up in an ordinary family of the First World War veteran and a housewife mother, accustomed to seeing domestic VIOLENCE, unjustified cruelty and alcoholism. It is curious that Doss personally never considered himself a conscientious objector or a PACIFIST - he did not refuse to serve. On the contrary, he sincerely wanted to do his duty to his country. But Desmond resolved for himself never, under any circumstances, to inflict violence on living beings. But then the Second World War began. Desmond could not stay away while his comrades fought for peace, and went to the front as a corpsman - enlisted man trained to give first aid and minor medical treatment. He was initially hailed as an oddball in his unit for his refusal to even touch a WEAPON. But war is war and Desmond was sent to Okinawa, and there he had to suffer a lot for his clear conviction, to become a true legend in the end.

This film is primarily known as a war film, but the war is not so central there. The core of the movie for me was the theme of faith: faith in oneself, faith in one's idea, one's position in life. The film teaches us to be true to ourselves, not to betray our ideals, not to succumb to temptation and to stand our ground to the very end, as the Second World War veteran Desmond Doss did.

Andrew Garfield is one of my favorite actors, and I think he made the most of his role. He was very deeply imbued with the image and his experience and belief in the proposed circumstances were observed every second, therefore you start to exist in his world and feel his pain and bitterness of loss. Most of all I was struck by his eyes, because in Andrew Garfield's eyes, I saw the faith that his character lived by, and that is worth a lot.

Mel Gibson thoroughly approached his case: he invested as much as he could, gave his all to make this film, and it shows. To my mind, this movie deserves the glory with one hundred percent accuracy.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Понедельник, 20.03.2023, 20:36

sasavasl15Дата: Понедельник, 20.03.2023, 22:19 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник

One of my favorite war movies is The Last Samurai. The action takes place in Japan in the eighteen-seventies. The main character is an American military officer who, after the war with the indigenous people, is going through hard times. He finds himself in the midst of a samurai revolt shaking Japan, trying to defend the good old Japan against the background of the coming changes. The Emperor is lost between the past and the present, between the ancient civilization and the "civilization" of cannons. What the viewer sees is not a confrontation between characters, but a cultural conflict, the confrontation of entire civilizations under the roar of drums.

After the first failed battle, the main character is captured and first observes, and then learns the traditions and art of being a samurai. Together with the main character, we go from ignorance to full immersion in local history and customs.

The internal psychologism of the war is very well conveyed, the injuries that remain with the soldier after the end, the pain of women that lose their husbands and remain alone with their children. We see not only external problems, but also internal ones.

This is an incredibly tragic, beautiful and contrasting film. The senselessness and brutality of war is very expressively shown here in contrast with the beauty of old Japan.

--------

They will be armed with new WEAPONRY. But CIVILIAN CASUALTIES are unacceptable. Otherwise, SANCTIONS will follow.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 16:35

tsvioletta17Дата: Вторник, 21.03.2023, 07:35 | Сообщение # 4
Подполковник
Do you view life as a battle or as a marketplace?

As for me, life is a battle. People always fight for something. For freedom, for fairness, for their rights.

You start fighting already in the womb — there you are fighting for life and will continue to do.

You grow up and fight for your opinion. Even if everything is easy around you and you don't need to fight forever for something, you are always fighting inside yourself. Cheat now or tell the truth? Help her/him with a difficult task? Should I sleep for a couple more minutes and oversleep everything or get up right now?

But seriously, inside of us there is always a struggle between good and evil, and that's fine. Probably, it's even good, because if you fight for something, then you have something to fight for.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Вторник, 20.06.2023, 10:22

marichernaya911Дата: Суббота, 25.03.2023, 13:03 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник

“The books’ thief” by Markus Zusak is the book about war that impressed me very much when I was at school. The book tells us a story of a ten-year-old girl living in a small town in Germany in a foster family. The action takes place during the beginning of the Second World War, when the Nazis came to power in Germany. Unrests started together with searches in homes of the civilians. The books were being confiscated and burned on the square of the town; the Jews were sent out. And the family of the girl had both. They hid a Jewish friend of the head of the family in the cellar, and that Jew, Mark, taught small Lisette to read. The girl fell in love with books after that. She read days and nights long and even stole the books from the library of the Nazi head of their town, for whom she and her foster mother worked as laundresses. When his wife found that fact out, she started choosing the books for Lisette herself.

Two things impressed me most in the book. Firstly, that in the time of war and starvation that little girl lived on books and was stealing them instead of food or expensive things in rich man’s house. Secondly, that the story of that brave and kind-hearted girl was shown so simply and truthfully in the context of war. That simplicity helped to find yourself living in that small house in an occupied German town, sharing your last potato with an ill schoolmate, hiding in a basement during bombing.

Finally, this is a book about simple but true things such as friendship, love to your friends and family, forgiveness of the enemies and acceptance of the circumstances of life, even the cruel and unacceptable ones. This is one of my favorite books of my school years.

--
War has always been the last resort for governments. However, we find military actions to be a quite regular means of conflict resolution. This shows, unfortunately, the inability of the humanity to live in peace and help each other. Instead of that we have constant mistrust and hatred, and than hostilities all over the world...

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 15:59

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 28.03.2023, 11:56 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
In my opinion, civil wars are more fierce and ruthless than any other war. When the war is international, the whole people unites in for the sake of the Motherland. But when it is a civil war, children rise against their parents and vice versa, just look at Quiet the Don Flows by Sholokhov when brothers appeared on different political sides. People who once were the closest to each other, become strange and traitorous.

WAR is always a tragedy. All these HOSTILITIES, UNREST, CLASHES, CIVILIAN CASUALTIES, MASSACRES, BRUTAL SUPPRESSIONS, MISTRUST AND HATRED leave a bloody trace in history.[/size]

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 16:34

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 27.05.2023, 21:37 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
I recently watched the film Hotel Mumbai, in which a group of terrorists, totally TYRANNICAL and cruel, carry out an attack in a hotel. The hotel was AMBUSHED, the terrorists entered and started shooting people in close quarters. I feel that the only thing that could be worse than such a mass shooting would be SUICIDE BOMBINGS.

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 29.05.2023, 11:17 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник

There is a great amount of works of art, dedicated to war. If we take literature, the list starts with The Iliad and ends with modern fantasy. There are many books, paintings and works of visual art about war which I adore, but they have one feature in common. They don’t praise the war, nor find they beauty in it. They acknowledge the evil, fear, tribulation and devastation any war brings. These works of art are not pleasant, there is a specific aesthetic in them.

As examples I would give Vasily Vereshchagin’s The Apotheosis of War, Bansky’s Minnie Nagasaki, Sholokhov’s And Quiet Flows the Don, The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Понедельник, 19.06.2023, 15:52

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 44 War and peace
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024