Unit 79 Academic writing: making sense - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 79 Academic writing: making sense
Unit 79 Academic writing: making sense
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 27.03.2022, 16:15 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Write a summary (abstract) of your future dissertation (including review of academic sources) using as many words from the unit as possible. Highlight the words you use in some way (capitals, italics, underline, bold type).
Be ready to present your summary in class.

salomiagudovaДата: Понедельник, 28.03.2022, 19:06 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
My dissertation is about the British boarding school novel in the first quarter of the 20th century. HAVING REFLECTED UPON the subject, I would say that this particular genre can be called AMBIGUOUS because while some school stories UTILISE the public school ethos to uphold everything it ADVOCATES, others DEMONSTRATE different flaws of the system. And even those novels that praise the public school system CONTRADICT themselves because by their portrayal of the idyllic version of school life they TRIGGER the reader to see what’s absent from the real picture. A good INSTANCE of that would be a novel that shows the school environment in which studying is on the same level as sport while in reality the CONVERSE was true. When one works with the school story as a genre, it is CRUCIAL to understand the history of the British public school itself. THEREBY one could DEDUCE what a particular school story has left unsaid. I’ve been reading many different articles on the subject. Some of them COMPLEMENT each other; others OVERLAP. And I always try to find COHERENT, COMPREHENSIVE and AUTHORITATIVE sources.

Сообщение отредактировал salomiagudova - Понедельник, 28.03.2022, 19:12

danil_naydenovДата: Понедельник, 04.04.2022, 14:44 | Сообщение # 3
Лейтенант
I have been writing my dissertation and my 3rd year assignment to provide a COMPREHENSIVE overview of the image of Doctor Faustus presented in “English Faust Book” and in “The Tragical History of the Life and Death of Doctor Faustus” written by Christopher Marlowe.

Partially the dissertation OVERLAPS with my assignment for the previous year of studying and both of my works on Faustus COMPLEMENT each other to help a reader PERCEIVE a full image of the evolution and development of Doctor Faustus’s character throughout different works of English literature. We UTILISE comparative literature methods to provide not AMBIGUOUS, but COHERENT and sometimes even AUTHORITATIVE analysis of the literary character and to DEMONSTRATE the unique features of English Faust with his tight connection to English Reformation. The works under study TRIGGERED a surge of popularity of the newly appeared archetype of a magician, which in its turn DENOTES the changes of the paradigm of thought which began in the 16th century and ultimately led to the Goethe’s “Faust”.The dissertation REFLECTS UPON these changes, and also INDICATES specific features of the image of Doctor Faust outside of the English literature.

Sentences:

Although it is common knowledge that Sherlock Holmes uses DEDUCTION as his investigation method, it’s not exactly true. In fact, he uses induction to INFER from seemingly ARBITRARY facts who the criminal is. He observes purely EMPIRICAL things that DEVIATE FROM THE NORM and asks himself: «why?» While others make quick conclusions and get a DISTORTED image of what happened, he goes through the events in SEQUENCE, finds the blind spots and tries to fill them.

Сообщение отредактировал danil_naydenov - Пятница, 08.04.2022, 13:11

dolysovacomДата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 13:55 | Сообщение # 4
Лейтенант
My dissertation is dedicated to the study of the jazz age in the novels of American writers of the XX century: Francis Scott Fitzgerald, John Dos Passos. Their works DEMONSTRATE the most accurate parallel with representation of that time, help to REFLECT UPON the successes and failures of the state as a whole, as well as its people, FOR INSTANCE the technological boom, the economic crisis, the war. It is CRUCIAL to understand American history of that time. That’s why I am looking for COHERENT, COMPREHENSIVE and AUTHORITATIVE historical sources to collect reliable information. Most of them COMPLEMENT each other and also there are some which OVERLAP.

In one of his first novels, «Three Soldiers», Passos DENOTES the impact of war on people. Soldiers who went through the war and could not recover morally after such trials are called the lost generation. After the First World War, people gradually began to return to peaceful life. But for many writers the war TRIGGERED feelings of disappointment and loneliness, which they described in their works.

In «Great Gatsby», Fitzgerald writes about a common American dream, that is the hope for a great future. It can be called AMBIGUOUS, because the author warns the reader about false hopes and dreams, perverted by wrong priorities. It DEMONSTRATES not only all the luxury and fun of the jazz age, but also the other side of this era, its proximity to spiritual decline.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 11:19

7109633Дата: Суббота, 09.04.2022, 17:09 | Сообщение # 5
Лейтенант
My dissertation is dedicated to the rather urgent problem of modern linguistics. The title is “Occasionalism as a means of expressivity in the English nonsense literature of XIX century (based on the works of E. Lear and L. Carroll )".
Notwithstanding the existence of a number of works devoted to the study of occasionalisms and their translation, scientists still have not deduced what this term exactly denotes because it is a phenomenon of a dynamically changing language. In my work I try to complement existing investigations in the field of the role of occasional vocabulary.

Sentences

In the fourth episode of the first season of House, M.D. a seizure becomes WIDESPREAD among newborn babies. House believes this DENOTES an epidemic spreading through the hospital. Cuddy dismisses the suggestion and no one else REFLECTS UPON the issue until other babies DEMONSTRATING the same symptoms are brought in the hospital. It is CRUCIAL for House and his team to be as fast as possible in order to find the TRIGGER, but the choices they have to make may be lethal to some of the newborns if their diagnosis is incorrect. They have no right to let anything DISTORT the picture of the disease; they must NEGATE anything not connected with the illness which INCIDENCE goes up.

Шебалкина Е.И.

Сообщение отредактировал 7109633 - Суббота, 30.04.2022, 16:07

zhuravleva369Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 18:58 | Сообщение # 6
Лейтенант
People do not spend much time on healthy habits nowadays. And the PREDOMINANT reason is that they simply don't have much time for it. They REFLECT ON being healthy, but it's not CRUCIAL for them. By the way, it doesn't matter where you RESIDE, you can be healthy anywhere if you follow some simple rules. It is SOMEWHAT hard to eat healthy food and exercise on a daily basis, however, it's not impossible. There are people who try to eat healthy but they don't pay much attention to the fact that not only healthy products, but a very good sleeping regime should be APPENDED. THEREBY, there are always about 30 percent of INCIDENCES when one tries to be healthier but only makes the situation worse.
Some people make money on those who are eager to be healthy. AN INSTANCE OF IT is that many companies CONCEIVE products that only appear to be healthy. And that's where unaware people DEMONSTRATE their ignorance. They PERCEIVE beautiful labels but don't read the ingredients of the product.

Сообщение отредактировал zhuravleva369 - Воскресенье, 01.05.2022, 22:11

zhovtyak1441Дата: Воскресенье, 10.04.2022, 22:51 | Сообщение # 7
Лейтенант
He will first DEDUCE the formula.
-What can we INFER from these injuries?
-That's a somewhat AMBIGUOUS response.
-You have no notion how difficult it is to do an ARBITRARY thing.
-We didn't DISTORT facts!
-Of course you don't have any INCIDENCES.
-We don't want WIDESPREAD panic.
-It's CRUCIAL to the episode.
-But we can UTILISE this area.
-He doesn't PERCEIVE sarcasm or irony.

[Fullstops?!]

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Пятница, 29.04.2022, 11:52

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Advanced » Unit 79 Academic writing: making sense
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024