Unit 101 US English - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 101 US English
Unit 101 US English
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 02.10.2022, 16:28 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Compose a story using as many words from the unit as possible (British English). Then "translate" your story into American English.

Compose a dialogue between a Briton and an American, playing upon lexical differences between the two variants (especially homonyms like "vest", "bill", "wash up" etc).

anastasiadregan864Дата: Четверг, 13.10.2022, 15:14 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
American version.

FALL is my favorite season ever. ON THE WEEKENDS I usually go to parks and squares to enjoy the beauty of this time. I almost never go to the DOWNTOWN AREA, preferring quiet places and imagining that I am on my VACATION.
However, even in such places the big city makes itself felt. Noisy TRUCKS, dirty SIDEWALKS, lots of TRASH on the side of the roads. At the CROSSWALK, almost no one let me through. While walking I came across a wonderful building. I really wanted to go up there by the ELEVATOR, to see the hall, but I was too shy and decided to inspect the house from the outside. It was painted in beautiful light purple COLOUR color, had the YARD and the PARKING LOT. How wonderful it would be to have an APARTMENT there! - I thought.
While dreaming I suddenly REALIZED that it was getting dark and I need go home. So with great reluctance, but full of inspiration, I went to the SUBWAY.

British version.

AUTUMN is my favorite season ever. AT THE WEEKENDS I usually go to parks and squares to enjoy the beauty of this time. I almost never go to the city CENTER, preferring quiet places and imagining that it’s a HOLIDAY.
However, even in such places the big city makes itself felt. Noisy LORRIES, dirty PAVEMENTS, lots of RUBBISH on the side of the roads. At the ZEBRA CROSSING, almost no one let me through. While walking I came across a wonderful building. I really wanted to go up there by the LIFT to see the hall, but I was too shy and decided to inspect the house from the outside. It was painted in beautiful light purple COLOR colour, had the GARDEN and the CAR PARK. How wonderful it would be to have a FLAT there! - I thought.
While dreaming I suddenly REALISED that it was getting dark and I need go home. So with great reluctance, but full of inspiration, I went to the METRO.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Вторник, 17.01.2023, 22:35

tsumskaa30Дата: Понедельник, 17.10.2022, 10:20 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
British version

I’d like to describe to you one day from my daily life - what I usually do only in AUTUMN, and especially not AT THE WEEKEND, but during a working week.
I don’t live in the CENTRE of Moscow, but in the Moscow region, so I must make an effort to come to the university.
Firstly, I have breakfast and WASH UP if I have enough time, of course. Then I dress myself - a VEST, TIGHTS and so on.
The most important thing that I should take is the salary card and some NOTES, as anything can happen.
Even though my FLAT is on THE FIRST FLOOR, I use the LIFT quite often. Then I throw away the RUBBISH and go to the station by car or by bus.
I stay in a QUEUE and buy a SINGLE TRIP ticket or a RETURN TRIP ticket. Everything depends on the day of the week and my plans - if I’m going to Podolsk or to Klin in the evening. Nowadays RAILWAY CARRIAGES are rather modern and comfortable. I prefer to travel by a commuter train. Luckily, I can go without UNDERGROUND.
I always have some BISCUITS, SWEETS and fruit in my hand LUGGAGE. I have a snack and start to do my homework. I have two or three hours to do everything on time.

American version

I’d like to describe to you one day from my daily life - what I usually do only in THE FALL, and especially not ON THE WEEKEND, but during a working week.
I don’t live in the CENTER of Moscow, but in the Moscow region, so I must make an effort to come to the university.
Firstly, I have breakfast and WASH THE DISHES if I have enough time, of course. Then I dress myself - an UNDERSHIRT, PANTYHOSE and so on.
The most important thing that I should take is the salary card and some BILLS, as anything can happen.
Even though my APARTMENT is on THE SECOND FLOOR, I use the ELEVATOR quite often. Then I throw away the GARBAGE and go to the station by car or by bus.
I stay in a LINE and buy a ONE-WAY TRIP ticket or a ROUND TRIP ticket. Everything depends on the day of the week and my plans - if I’m going to Podolsk or to Klin in the evening. Nowadays RAILWAY CARS are rather modern and comfortable. I prefer to travel by a commuter train. Luckily, I can go without SUBWAY.
I always have some COOKIES, CANDIES and fruit in my hand BAGGAGE. I have a snack and start to do my homework. I have two or three hours to do everything on time.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Понедельник, 06.02.2023, 15:49

antonryadinskiДата: Пятница, 28.04.2023, 12:49 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
AUTUMN (FALL) is beautiful this year. ON (AT) my weekend, I went to Baumanski GARDEN (YARD) and it was really nice there. The leaves are all different COLOURS (COLORS). It was really clean, with no RUBBISH (TRASH). The weather was nice, and I was wearing a WAISTCOAT (VEST). There was a nice café with a small QUEUE (LINE). I bought coffee and sat on a bench. I was satisfied with the day, but all good things come to an end, and I had to return home by UNDERGROUND (SUBWAY).

--------------------

Sentences:

• During the AUTUMN (FALL) season, I enjoy spending time in my GARDEN (YARD) with a cozy WAISTCOAT (VEST) on.
  • Last weekend, I spent my time ON (AT) my weekend exploring the beautiful COLOURS (COLORS) of the leaves in the nearby park.
  • I was disappointed to see so much RUBBISH (TRASH) on the ground during my walk in the AUTUMN (FALL) weather.
  • The QUEUE (LINE) for the pumpkin patch was so long that we decided to take the UNDERGROUND (SUBWAY) instead.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Пятница, 28.04.2023, 12:49

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 101 US English
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024