не предусмотрено.

Вторник, 14.05.2024, 01:31
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 092 Expressions with set and put - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 092 Expressions with set and put
Unit 092 Expressions with set and put
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 07.05.2022, 13:17 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Write a story using as many words and expressions from the unit as possible.

tsumskaa30Дата: Четверг, 12.05.2022, 12:27 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
Two years ago I SET MY HEART ON going to the theatre. I have not been able to do that because of the Covid limitations. I tried but I didn’t manage to get the QR-code. Therefore, all the theatres were closed to me. But this spring all the limitations were abolished and I SET A TARGET to go to the theatre after Lent.

I SET ASIDE money to buy the tickets. I SET OUT to Moscow on the Easter Week. I PUT MY MIND TO this idea. However, as it usually happens, I suddenly had an urgent situation and I had to stay home on the appointed day. I just had to PUT UP WITH it. But I PUT MY FOOT DOWN and assured my parents that the director PUTS ON a wonderful performance that they couldn’t miss – it was the “Revisor”, so I suggested they go instead of me. I PUT PRESSURE ON my mother and they agreed.

Next day I wondered how was the performance. It took my breath away when I heard their feedback. This play PUT my parents’ BACK UP. According to my mother’s opinion, it was A PUT-UP JOB. The plot was corrupt, completely changed, the actors SET ASIDE the real ideas that the author intended to express. It PUT my parents OUT and they PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER that we should diligently check in advance whether the play is worth our attention or it is better for us not to watch it.

I suppose that this experience SET A BAD EXAMPLE for all of us.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Вторник, 26.07.2022, 18:29

abalakinan27Дата: Четверг, 12.05.2022, 12:27 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
I have a dream of traveling. Not so long ago I PUT MY MIND to SETTING ASIDE money for SETTING OFF somewhere. I SET OUT on some journeys with my parents abroad and to gorgeous places in our country earlier but I SET MY HEART ON SETTING OUT on trips of my own. Moreover, I've never set my foot in most EU countries, but would like to.

Traveling is a perfect way for enhancing your personal experience, broadening your mind, background, expanding opportunities. Also journeys accelerate  your acquisition of knowledge. If you are into art or literature it's critical to see with your own eyes what has been studied.

I'm trying to PUT UP WITH the latest occurrences and SET ASIDE feelings that PUT ME OFF. But I PUT MY FOOT DOWN that I am not going to betray my motherland and going abroad for good at least now. Of course I SET SIGHTS ON getting acquainted with the world but I ought to PUT OFF this idea for better times. And I'm sure that I definitely can fulfill my dream here, in Russia. In one of the most historical and cultural countries.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Среда, 24.08.2022, 16:13

katyadorniakДата: Пятница, 27.05.2022, 12:14 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Once upon a time there was a girl who SET her HEART ON entering a Moscow university. Her family SET ASIDE some money, and the girl herself SET A TARGET to get good grades in exams. She PUT PRESSURE ON herself and finally SET OFF to the capital. The girl was running around different universities for several days in a row, although she already PUT her MIND TO the idea that she would enter the Orthodox St. Tikhon's University. She wanted to study in the Department of Slavic Philology, but her mother I PUT her FOOT DOWN and sent her daughter to learn English. She PUT UP WITH it. And now this girl is already a young lady, actively helping to PUT ON events, learning like there is no tomorrow and is absolutely happy with her life.

What does this story teach us? Which EXAMPLE it SETS? "Don't give up and listen to your mom?" It's hard to say. In life, you can't PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER and deduce a pattern. Maybe this girl was just lucky.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 16:24

antonryadinskiДата: Суббота, 04.06.2022, 14:32 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
Although, I've been living in Moscow for three years, I have visited not so many historical places. I've always wanted to visit different towns of Moscow region and I always PUT IT OFF. Last year a spontaneous idea came to my mind. My friend and I decided to SET OFF to Noginsk. We bought a ticket to a suburban train and PUT OUR MINDS to the fact that this city would be very interesting to visit. And actually, this small town was really nice. We were shocked how many historical buildings were preserved Actually, there were some pieces of imperial architecture and a lot of wooden houses. We were PUTTING ON good emotions and we received them. Sometimes spontaneous ideas can be very good.

I have never SET FOOT IN any of the foreign countries, but I PUT MY MIND TO find a job a be able to SET OFF around the world. I SET MYSELF A TARGET and I hope no one will PUT ME OFF. I PUT MY FOOT DOWN that I never PUT AWAY my hopes.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 10:54

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 08.10.2022, 20:07 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
He PUT OFF this conversation for a long time PUTTING ON everything was fine. Every time he SET OUT to start this conversation, something stopped him and he could think of nothing to say. "Weakling," he thought to himself.

Oh yes, he was in an abusive relationship with his girlfriend and for two months he had been meaning to have a big talk with her about PUTTING AN END TO their relationship. He could PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER but weakness got in his way. He justified her awful treatment of him by claiming that he was worthy of it. But this was never true, and his problem was otherwise. His problem lurked in his insecurity. "Who if not her?", "Nobody else needs me," he thought. For a long time he tried to SET ASIDE the abusive and rude behavior from her and just PUT UP WITH it all. But at some point, he recognized that he wanted to set himself free from this "PUTTING DOWN".

The day came and, arriving at the meeting place, he saw her smiling and relaxed. She looked stunning, as she always did. For a moment he was dumbfounded, but with all his strength he PUT HIS MIND TO confronting her with everything that had languished in his mind for so long. His words PUT her OUT. "I'm done. We're over" - it was something she couldn't even have expected.

He had been planning all this for a while, and finally achieved what he had been working towards for so long. He even came up with a plan in case of success and purchased tickets to another country. His friend lived there and was willing to PUT him UP. So, sitting in an armchair in a small French studio, he drained his coffee and thought: "Since my life has changed so much, why shouldn't I explore the world, now that I finally have the freedom that I have been deprived of for so long?" And a few days later, he packed his bags and SET OFF.

Добавлено (09.10.2022, 09:25)
---------------------------------------------
1 In communication, it is very significant to PUT your thoughts ACROSS correctly and deliberately to avoid misleading your interlocutor, and especially to prevent offending him or her. 2 This is particularly true of humour, since certain words hurled in a heat can PUT the other person DOWN. 3 Furthermore, it is well worth remembering that interrupting someone and constantly PUTTING IN your words is rude.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 18.12.2022, 12:57

marichernaya911Дата: Воскресенье, 09.10.2022, 18:51 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
There was a small town near the sea. I'm sure, none of you has ever SET FOOT IN there. In that town there was a small school, where teachers were brilliant and kind, and loved their students, as there were only 30 schoolers in the whole village.

Atthe lessons teachers were usually SETTING THE WORLD TO RIGHTS with the students, PUTTING ACROSS that it's vitally important to SET A TARGET in your life in order not to live aimlessly. Children adored their teachers as much as they loved them, PUTTING THEIR MINDS TO THE GOOD and were truthful in their words and actions. So, they SET A GOOD EXAMPLE FOR young people. No one else did.

There was a boy called John. He was 10 years old, and he admired the literature teacher, Mr. Moor, most of all. He listened to his every word, being afraid of PUTTING A REMARK in teacher's words. Mr. Moor never PUT students DOWN, never PUT PRESSURE ON them in any matter: neither homework, nor behaviour. Nevertheless, the discipline in his classes was amazingly brilliant.

The thing is that Mr. Moor seemed to PUT the drawbacks and missteps of the children ASIDE, seeing only good and kind in them. And they responded that way, too.

John loved Mr. Moor so much that he SET HIS HEART ON BECOMING a teacher when he grows up. He SET A TARGET, PUT HIS FOOT DOWN to it, and so he did.

So that way, the way of love and good example, a young teacher created a kind-hearted teacher, having left a good fruit after him.

--
John was quite a diffident person, that is why he was usually afraid of putting remarks into anybody's speech, even if he did not agree. However, as it sometimes conserned his faith, he put his heart on teaching himself to be more straightforward  and open. He set a target, and finally he coped up with his snyness and became a good speaker, being able to defend his position.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Вторник, 20.12.2022, 00:07

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 11.10.2022, 09:12 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
1. He PUTS himself FORWARD for her to marry, but their parents wouldn’t SET ASIDE their feelings, not willing to PUT UP WITH the other family. But the lovers PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER to PUT themselves TOGETHER in marriage. (“Romeo and Juliet”)

2. She PUTS ON male clothes and PUTS ON being a man. She PUTS UP A JOB and PUTS everyone ACROSS. (“The Twelfth night”)

3. A new ruler PUTS his MIND ON how his people live. He SETS A TARGET to PUT AN END TO sin and vice. He PUTS his FOOT DOWN that punishment and penalty is a right way. He would not have compassion to the prisoner, he wouldn’t SET HIM FREE. (“Measure for Measure”)

He PUTS ON a brave face, when he was PUTTING OFF a dangerous trip. And it was dangerous indeed, to SET FOOT IN such a country.
The company SET THE WORLD TO RIGHTS and, finally, PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER TO PUT UP the taxes.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 16:10

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 14.11.2022, 19:52 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник
Suddenly he realised that he must stop PUTTING ASIDE reflection about his feelings, his thoughts tortured him, and he couldn’t continue running from himself - he needed to PUT HIS MIND TO handling the mess, he had to PUT AN END to all this.

He always had a weird habit - when he wanted to think, he travelled. He could spend hours in trains without actually noticing that - greyish spots went by, putting him in trance. People, sounds, smells, colours sticked together. It was the same this time. He decided not to PUT OFF “reflection” and SET OFF. He went to the train station. What happened next, he didn’t remember.

Suddenly he found himself in a place he had never SET FOOT TO. He looked around. He was alone, he was free, he could breathe.

---------------------------------------
I've SET myself a TARGET to stop PUTTING OFF doing things. Postponing is a bad habit of mine and I want greatly to be SET FREE from it. I wish I would SET A GOOD EXAMPLE. To attain this I need to PUT MY MIND TO it.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 19:57

sensualpie111Дата: Вторник, 15.11.2022, 12:54 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник
I have always put off all the important things. My mom knows this, so often when things really need to be done quickly, she tries to put pressure on me. It obviously puts my back up. So I learned to set aside most of her manipulations. But this does not mean at all that I never help my family and friends and do nothing. I always at least try to set out if I really think the matter is important or urgent. But my mom still thinks I'm setting a bad example for my little sister.

Para Julia

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 092 Expressions with set and put
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024