не предусмотрено.

Вторник, 14.05.2024, 12:44
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 089 Expressions with do and make - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 089 Expressions with do and make
Unit 089 Expressions with do and make
readeralexeyДата: Суббота, 02.04.2022, 15:40 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Which of these things do you think you could do without and why?
-mobile phone
-TV
-sunglasses
-laptop or tablet

Who does the housework (the washing up / the shopping / the cooking...) in your family?

What would you rather do away with in your personal life / in your house / in our society?

What do you make of many companies leaving the Russian market in recent weeks? Do you think Russia will be able to make up for their goods and services?

What do you make of the recent decision to close access to Instagram and Facebook on the territory of Russia?

Have you ever done any gardening?

Do you ever make things up? Why (not)?

Have you ever done business with anyone else? Were they reliable partners?

Do you do up presents in decorative paper before gving them?

Is there a person you can't make out? Why?

abalakinan27Дата: Вторник, 05.04.2022, 13:21 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
To speak my mind, in my personal life I would DO AWAY WITH toxic relationships, distrust, talking down and humiliation. The ideal relationships DO WITHOUT inattention, carelessness and unconscientiousness. Wealth and well-being can't MAKE UP FOR the lack of love.

In my house I would DO AWAY WITH clatter, rubbish and unnecessary things. Often trash prevents us from MAKING OUT useful domestic stuff.

In our society I would DO AWAY WITH online communication as live one cannot MAKE UP FOR chatting or phone calling. [?] Also I try not to look at my screen while I'm speaking with people and if people do did that there would be more mutual regard and it would be easier to reach a compromise.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Пятница, 22.07.2022, 15:15

tsumskaa30Дата: Вторник, 05.04.2022, 18:54 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник

My utopian dream is to DO AWAY WITH the permanent usage of the mobile phone and the Internet.

When I was a teenager, about 12 years old, I MADE A SUGGESTION that it would be a wonderful idea to MAKE AN ATTEMPT to live without the Internet. I had an exciting plan. What if someone disconnected our world from the Internet? How would our lives change?

It is obvious that some people may MAKE A LOSS. But I hoped that we really can MAKE A PROFIT of it. For example, we can MAKE A SUCCESS of our relationships communicating face to face. Hopefully, we would MAKE much less MISTAKES, which we usually make due to misunderstanding. And at the same time we can realise that we should MAKE ALLOWANCES FOR our relatives or close friends in the real life. It’s high time for everybody to MAKE A DECISION – what is more important for us: to spend 5-6 hours a day in our mobile phones DOING SOME BUSINESS WITH virtual friends or to take care of our family who may really need our attention. Doing some things may seem miserable but it shows our care and the willing to help. For instance, it’s better to DO THE WASHING-UP, help your mother to DO THE COOKING or to DO THE SHOPPING rather than to surf the net.

That’s why I was really glad when I heard that our authorities DID AWAY WITH Instagram on the territory of Russia because it is like a part of the dream from my childhood.

That’s all very well saying but reality may differ from our expectations. Evidently, young people can’t DO WITHOUT their mobile phones and especially without the Internet. Sometimes, usually in summer, I MAKE AN EFFORT to cut down the time when I’m online. But when I’m studying, it’s almost impossible.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Вторник, 26.07.2022, 18:22

katyadorniakДата: Суббота, 28.05.2022, 00:31 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
Do you ever make things up? Why (not)?

I won't lie, sometimes I MAKE THINGS UP. I don't need this to MAKE A PROFIT, but to MAKE it TO THE OTHER SIDE, if you know what I mean. When some creepy gentleman MAKES AN ATTEMPT to get to know me against my will, my business is TO MAKE A quick DECISION and MAKE UP a boyfriend of mine who can't DO WITHOUT jealousy and will definitely MAKE A FUSS OF the fact that some stranger is talking to me. Some men do not understand that young pretty ladies do not want to DO ANY BUSINESS WITH them and believe that they can always DO AWAY WITH it. Therefore, I have to MAKE AN EFFORT not to be touched.

It is unlikely that I will ever lie to MAKE A SUCCESS. I'd rather MAKE A LOSS than A PROFIT dishonestly. Yes, even to avoid DOING THE WASHING-UP or THE COOKING or THE SHOPPING, I will not invent an apology. And I will not invent excuses for my mistakes, because we all MAKE MISTAKES. Let's MAKE A CONCLUSION that I like to make stuff up, as a creative person, but I rarely do it.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 16:16

antonryadinskiДата: Суббота, 04.06.2022, 14:17 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник

When I was a child, my parents didn't have any village where they could DO THE GARDENING. My parents told me that they HAD DONE AWAY WITH their datcha, because they didn't like the gardening. I couldn't even make off how to dig up the potato. But last year, I went to my friend’s village and it was very exciting for me because I hadn’t spent my childhood in the village.  I saw a lot of people DOING THE GARDENING. I remember how I wanted to grow up a flower and I did it.

I realize that many people can’t DO WITHOUT their mobile phones. They simply CAN’T DO AWAY WITH it. And it’s really true, there isn’t anything in the world that CAN MAKE UP FOR the phones. But we can MAKE AN excuse because this device is very vital. We can MAKE THE BEST OF it, though 20 years ago we could only COULD A PHONE CALL.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Пятница, 09.09.2022, 14:35

posternaksophieДата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 11:31 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
-mobile phone
-TV
-sunglasses
-laptop or tablet

I suppose I could probably DO WITHOUT the mobile phone no matter how weird it may sound. Our lives are MADE OF the periods when we are sitting with our phones and surfing the internet. So I'd even feel relieved if had to do WITHOUT the mobile phone for at least a month. I imagine that mobile phones should be DONE AWAY WITH as they limit human communication to the boarders of the virtual space. I could easily DO WITHOUT the TV as it is something I don't normally use and don't have. I could do without the laptop in summer when I don't have to write my course paper. But I could definitely not DO WITHOUT the sunglasses as I can't see clearly without them.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 11:29

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 19.09.2022, 17:09 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
-mobile phone
-TV
-sunglasses
-laptop or tablet

I think because of the development of technology in the modern world, television is taking a back seat compared to mobile gadgets. I can assume that for the most part elderly people watch TV, for example, my grandparents even while cooking, cleaning, reading books, do not turn off the TV.

But the younger generation does not need television at all, since everyone has a smartphone with a bunch of entertaining and informative content that replaces TV programs one hundred percent. And I am one of those people who do not watch TV. And if I suddenly want to watch any shows or programs, I can find them just on the Internet on my phone.

I am independent from watching TV, so I easily do without it, unlike the phone, because the phone is necessary for me to communicate with my family and loved ones.

Добавлено (19.09.2022, 17:22)
---------------------------------------------
1 It seems to me sometimes that I can’t DO WITHOUT taxi. 2 I'm not the most punctual person, so I always MAKE OFF the house in a hurry. 3 I MAKE OF good for the opportunity to order a car and get to the train station twice as fast as if I got there on my own: on foot and by underground. 4 In any case, I dare to suggest that I need to DO AWAY WITH the habit of being late, because the money will run out someday.

Сообщение отредактировал ulyana_kazakova - Воскресенье, 18.12.2022, 00:24

marichernaya911Дата: Понедельник, 19.09.2022, 20:09 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник

It seems to me that nowadays one living in a city can’t
do without their mobile phone. We belong to it. We maintain businesses and studies on the phone, maps are also there in an app, our money is on an account in mobile banks, we often write important information there in notes and have telephone numbers of our colleagues and friends there. So when we lose the phone, we lose an important part of ourselves, and often it is hard to do up with the consequences.

I believe, even our parents can’t make this fact out. I am myself pretty surprised by the fact that it is often easier for me to type an idea in the notes than to write it in a beautiful notebook as I did several years ago.

I can do without many things in my life. For example,
for a month already I live without a mirror in my room (I could hardly imagine in a couple of months ago). I have also never had a TV because my parents did away with it when moved into a new flat. But the phone and the laptop for studies and work are always required.

--

When MAKING FOR somewhere it’s always important to DO AWAY OF those things you CAN DO WITHOUT. For example, it’s not necessary to take extra shirt for a case of it’s corruption  – it’s better to DO it UP, as many other things too. Then the lightness of the luggage MAKES UP FOR the lack of things available.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Вторник, 20.12.2022, 00:10

tsvioletta17Дата: Понедельник, 19.09.2022, 23:13 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник
What would you rather do away with in your personal life / in your house / in our society?

I guess this question is a tricky one. There are a lot of things which appear in my head at the same time. Some are material and some are moral. I am going to start with the latter.

As for me, the most important things in our lives are not things. To talk about my life personally, I would like to do away with some things concerning me. Some qualities in me annoy me and complicate my life. I'd rather be less irresponsible and lazy. But it sounds classic, doesn't it? So, then I will say that I would like to remove the disrespect for myself and take more care of myself. Remove self-doubt and rudeness, too.

I am not likely to want to do away with anything from my life. Everything that is given to us is needed for some reason, all problems are solved, and failures do not last forever. I am making of this fact that all things which happens to me make me feel alive.

I went to my friend to have a conversation and to DO AWAY WITH all my negative thoughts. I knew that my buddy MAKES me OUT and gives a good advice. After our talking all my problems MADE OFF from my head. I cannot DO WITHOUT my friends.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Понедельник, 29.04.2024, 18:49

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 19.09.2022, 23:36 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник

To begin with, we have a garden, but at the same time it is an orchard, a flower-garden and a small forest. My parents sometimes do gardening and we, children, help them, but to tell you the truth, quite rarely.

First of all, let me start with our orchard. There are apple trees, a plum tree, an apricot tree and even a peach tree, which brought fruit abundantly last year. In spring our fruit trees bloom in white and pink. Moreover, earlier we had current bushes, so we ate berries and made tea with their leaves.

Secondly, we have nice roses, probably one of them is the very Rose that the Little Prince had, but who knows? Flowers are of different colors, hues and flavors. There are yellow and purple bushes in our garden.

And finally, I would like to tell you about our forest. All those trees and plants, mentioned above, are surrounded by pine trees. At first when we planted them, they were small, low and fragile. We had to water them in order they don’t wither. But in a while they got stronger and stronger, taller and taller. And can you imagine some of them rise now like giants that for surely guard our fortress. Moreover, once we found edible mushrooms, so we picked them up, cooked them and decided to seed a part of them. So when we were hungry we could just gather some mushrooms and cook something for family.

I really like to walk in our wonderful mysterious garden, where fly fairy insects, butterflies and birds.

What do you MAKE OF this writer?
When the bell rung, the pupils MADE OFF from the class as soon as possible. It should be our ambition to DO AWAY with rudeness in our new team. Lilies of the valley are DONE UP together.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 15:18

sensualpie111Дата: Вторник, 20.09.2022, 09:43 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник

As for me, I think I have a bit more distractive and unnecessary things than I should. Actually, I think that I CAN DO WITHOUT TV, because nowadays laptops and Internet MAKE UP FOR television, so you can find on the Internet almost any show, film or series you want.

Moreover, I think I should use my phone less. I MAKE OUT that without my smartphone I can MAKE a better SUCCESS OF studying and my hobbies, because smartphone is a very distractive thing. I don't want to DO AWAY WITH it, I just want to be more focused on important things.

Para Julia

Сообщение отредактировал sensualpie111 - Вторник, 20.09.2022, 09:50

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 14.11.2022, 19:20 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
-mobile phone
-TV
-sunglasses
-laptop or tablet

I would name two things from the list I can do without: sunglasses and TV. It is so because I use both quite rarely. I don’t wear sunglasses in Moscow as each time the sun shines, I’m trying to enjoy it entirely before it’s gone for an indefinite period of time. I get so used to not wearing sunglasses during the year that I simply forget about them in summer.

I can easily manage without television. I guess that is what can somehow refer me to a certain age group, it seems that today fewer and fewer people are watching TV and it becomes a key feature of people from an older generation, although by no means it is the absolute sign, of course. Why don’t I watch TV? First of all, because I use different sources of information, telegram news channels, to be exact. Secondly, I just can’t reconcile myself with programmes and movies which are chosen for me to be watched, which are, besides, always “interrupted” by the most awful thing on television - that of advertising.

--------------------------------------
I can't DO WITHOUT my phone. I use it all the time. Recently I have MADE a SUGGESTION that I am actually addicted to my phone using it has definitely become a bad habit. That's why I need to learn DOING AWAY WITH my device at least when I am at home. I will try to MAKE AN ATTEMPT and MAKE THE BEST OF ME as well but to tell the truth, I don't believe I will MAKE a SUCCESS in it.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Вторник, 23.04.2024, 19:55

sasavasl15Дата: Вторник, 15.11.2022, 09:48 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник
What do you make of many companies leaving the Russian market in recent weeks? Do you think Russia will be able to make up for their goods and services?

Sometimes you can see news that a particular company is leaving the Russian market. And now people are not so much panicking and upset because not much has changed in the global aspect in the lives of ordinary people. Global companies are leaving Russia, as it is now unprofitable for business. Big brands need to maintain their reputation and do what is right from the point of view of the majority of their active consumers. Otherwise, they will lose their reputation, sales will drop and there will be less money.

For me personally, this has never been a particular tragedy. You can always find an analogue of some thing of better or worse quality. And if you need the original, I think people are able to come up with something if they need it vitally.

Russia can make up for various goods and services. Here you can ask the question of what quality and price these goods will be. For some companies, this is a good chance to promote themselves as a quality analogue or as a better option.

-------------------------
I wonder what we should DO WITHOUT him?
Nothing can MAKE UP FOR that.
Someone's just MAKING OFF WITH it.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Пятница, 26.04.2024, 16:07

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 089 Expressions with do and make
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024