не предусмотрено.

Среда, 15.05.2024, 01:26
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 069 Talking and communicating - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 069 Talking and communicating
Unit 069 Talking and communicating
readeralexeyДата: Воскресенье, 27.03.2022, 16:21 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline

Write three short dialogues similar to the ones in the unit (section A, exercise 69.1) to illustrate idioms connected with communication problems. Be ready to perform them in class with a partner for your classmates to guess what idiom they illustrate.

Have you ever been talked down to? What is your strategy of coping with the situation?

Do you ever talk behind people's back, honestly?

Do you ever indulge in small talk? Why (not)?

Why do you think some people would always talk shop?

What is the current talking point among your peers?

Have you ever been given a talking to? What was the occasion?

Give examples from fiction (e.g., Shakespeare's plays) of characters who:

talk rubbish

talk sense

are long-winded

put it in a nutshell

speak their mind

get straight to the point

wrap it up suddenly

start the ball rolling.

veronikachernykh15Дата: Вторник, 29.03.2022, 12:53 | Сообщение # 2
Майор
Characters who speak their mind

I consider that everyone is familiar with "Woe from wit" by Griboedov. When I prepared for the final exams in 11th form, this comedy was one of my favourite to analyse and to write essays about. The main character there is Chatsky who never has emotions of embarrassment and awkwardness. He is an example of a character who speaks his mind.

Chatsky can be an example of courage and boldness. He never accepts hypocrisy and deception. In contrast to the society of Famusov, Chatsky will not be doing anything to please someone. He is a man of honour.

But we also can see the opposite side of calling a spade a spade. The readers come to the conclusion that honesty not always a virtue. Under fairness lies ingratitude and irrelevance of the main character.

--------------------------------------
Not many people SPEAK THEIR MINDS in a new company. One of the reasons is that new acquaintances  often TALK AT CROSS-PURPOSES and sometimes get THE WRONG END OF THE STICK. Or for the first time it can be just a pointless SMALL TALK, where people don't have time to get closer.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:06

yarovaya02Дата: Вторник, 29.03.2022, 13:54 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
-Shall we go to the cinema?
-Well, ...
-Actually, let’s go to the park.
-I can’t...
-The weather is so nice today and there are a lot of attractions in the park.
-You speak so fast, I CAN’T GET A WORD INTO EDGEWAYS.

-Can you draw a knight for me?
-Sure, do you want Night with stars in the sky?
-No, I want a knight on the horse.
-Oh, I GOT THE WRONG END OF THE STICK.
- Yes, we TALKED AT CROSS PURPOSES.

-Let’s START THE BALL ROLLING. As you know, superintendent, administering impresario...
-Excuse me, your vocabulary is so complicated, I CAN’T MAKE A HEAD OR TAIL OF IT. Can you PUT IT IN A NUTSHELL?
-Ok. Sorry for being LONG-WINDED.

2. Tom talks sense, does not he?

Hello, old chap, you got to work, hey?"
Tom wheeled suddenly and said:
"Why, it's you, Ben! I warn't noticing."
"Say -- I'm going in a-swimming, I am. Don't you wish you could? But of course you'd druther work -- wouldn't you? Course you would!"
Tom contemplated the boy a bit, and said:
"What do you call work?"
"Why, ain't that work?"
Tom resumed his whitewashing, and answered carelessly:
"Well, maybe it is, and maybe it ain't. All I know, is, it suits Tom Sawyer."
"Oh come, now, you don't mean to let on that you like it?"
The brush continued to move.
"Like it? Well, I don't see why I oughtn't to like it. Does a boy get a chance to whitewash a fence every day?"
That put the thing in a new light. Ben stopped nibbling his apple. Tom swept his brush daintily back and forth -- stepped back to note the effect -- added a touch here and there -- criticised the effect again -- Ben watching every move and getting more and more interested, more and more absorbed. Presently he said:
"Say, Tom, let me whitewash a little."
Tom considered, was about to consent; but he altered his mind:
"No -- no -- I reckon it wouldn't hardly do, Ben. You see, Aunt Polly's awful particular about this fence -- right here on the street, you know -- but if it was the back fence I wouldn't mind and she wouldn't. Yes, she's awful particular about this fence; it's got to be done very careful; I reckon there ain't one boy in a thousand, maybe two thousand, that can do it the way it's got to be done."
"No -- is that so? Oh come, now -- lemme just try. Only just a little -- I'd let you, if you was me, Tom."
"Ben, I'd like to, honest injun; but Aunt Polly -- well, Jim wanted to do it, but she wouldn't let him; Sid wanted to do it, and she wouldn't let Sid. Now don't you see how I'm fixed? If you was to tackle this fence and anything was to happen to it --"
"Oh, shucks, I'll be just as careful. Now lemme try. Say -- I'll give you the core of my apple."
"Well, here -- No, Ben, now don't. I'm afeard --"
"I'll give you all of it!"
Tom gave up the brush with reluctance in his face, but alacrity in his heart.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Воскресенье, 05.06.2022, 20:36

abalakinan27Дата: Четверг, 31.03.2022, 12:48 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
- Let's pop by our grandparents!
- Yes, I would like to see him and talk with him.
- Don't forget to buy some flowers, please.
- Definitely I can't forget looking into his eyes.
They are TALKING AT CROSS-PURPOSES.

- Do you see that man?
- Yes!
- I've just heard that he was going to to get his girlfriend dumped. Moreover, they get on quite well with each other and she doesn't even know what it's going to happen.
- Yes, he is an ugly person! I also heard that he used her to get to another girl.
- Oh, what a he-goat!
They are TALKING BEHIND HIS BACK.

Here's a talk between a boy and a girl.
 They are not a couple. Just acquaintances. By the way, the girl is high-bred.
- Hi, Bill. You are looking smart today. How are you? How was your day? It seems to me like you are worried about something. Maybe I can help?
- Hi, Emma! I have never heard such gorgeous words from anybody in my life. I have never felt such care, such warmth, such...love to me. Nobody was really interested and cared for me. And... You... You.. You can help me! Now I know that's only you who can make me happy. Will you marry me?
He'S GOT THE WRONG END OF THE STICK.

Some people would always TALK SHOP because they aren't good friends maybe. Or that's their way to melt an iceberg or START THE BALL ROLLING and then it's hard to shift to another matter. Perhaps they are afraid TO GET THE WRONG END OF THE STICK. For colleagues
 it might be difficult not to have SMALL TALK if both of them are involved in job stuff. Probably that's their ideal TALKING POINT which suits both. Moreover, it's a great opportunity to TALK SENSE always and we shouldn't judge these people. They are not necessarily be esteemed as workaholics and likely they are open-minded only with close people.

Сообщение отредактировал abalakinan27 - Среда, 24.08.2022, 16:01

tsumskaa30Дата: Четверг, 31.03.2022, 18:18 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник

I’d like to share with you some current talking points among my peers.

Usually we START THE BALL ROLLING with the discussion of the latest news concerning our weekends.

Then quite often we start TO TALK SHOP. As we have the same interests and we study together at the Philology department, it’s easy for us to MAKE HEAD OR TAIL OF the conversation. We rarely TALK AT THE CROSS-PURPOSES.

Moreover, many of us have already become tutors so we can share our experience and give some useful advice to each other. We GET TO THE POINT, discuss different methods of teaching a particular grammar or vocabulary topic, using games, speaking practices and so on. TO PUT IT IN A NUTSHELL, it is really valuable to share our experience with each other, to take the best things, find our own ways of teaching.

Besides, we often SPEAK OUR MIND on subject concerning our future plans, life goals, family life, bringing up children. Of course, we may GET THE WRONG END OF THE STICK, then some disputes start which are also necessary in order to analyze the matter from different angles. The main thing is not to begin TALKING DOWN and not to become LONG-WINDED.

From my point of view, that’s a real wonder when different people start communicating, when they find A TALKING POINT and TALK SENSE.

sasavasl15Дата: Суббота, 02.04.2022, 18:17 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
1)
- Hi, I haven't seen you for a long time. I don't think we've talked at all since school. How are you, how is your life?

- Hi, well... I recently mo....
- And I recently went to a wonderful salon, you have no idea how great it is there.
- Oh... yes congratulations
- And we definitely need to go to the movies next week. Great conversation, see you later!
- Bye...
2)

- Hi Grandma, todayatourschoolwepassedanetopic...
- Granddaughter, I don't think I understand anything.
- And ourteacherdecidedtogiveusanewtask
- What a nightmare, she speaks incomprehensibly. Darling, speak more clearly and slowly, please!
3)

- I was so glad to see you, will we meet another time?
- I don't think I'd really like to...
- Great, then on Tuesday at three o'clock in the afternoon

For some, the Cheshire cat talks sense, for others talks rubbish.

“Cheshire Puss,” she began, rather timidly, as she did not at all know whether it would like the name: however, it only grinned a little wider. “Come, it’s pleased so far,” thought Alice, and she went on. “Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”

“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.

“I don’t much care where—” said Alice.

“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat
“—so long as I get SOMEWHERE,” Alice added as an explanation.

“Oh, you’re sure to do that,” said the Cat, “if you only walk long enough.”

Alice felt that this could not be denied, so she tried another question. “What sort of people live about here?”

“In THAT direction,” the Cat said, waving its right paw round, “lives a Hatter: and in that direction,” waving the other paw, “lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they’re both mad.”

“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.

“Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”

“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.

“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”

Alice didn’t think that proved it at all; however, she went on. “And how do you know that you’re mad ?”

“To begin with,” said the Cat, “a dog’s not mad. You grant that?”

“I suppose so,” said Alice.

“Well, then,” the Cat went on, “you see, a dog growls when it’s angry, and wags its tail when it’s pleased. Now I growl when I’m pleased, and wag my tail when I’m angry. Therefore I’m mad.”

“I call it purring, not growling,” said Alice.

“Call it what you like,” said the Cat. “Do you play croquet with the Queen to-day?”

“I should like it very much,” said Alice, “but I haven’t been invited yet.”

“You’ll see me there,” said the Cat, and vanished.

-------------------------------------------------------------
TO PUT IN A NUTSHELL, Anna is so LONG-WINDED, for this reason
 everyone makes only SMALL TALK with her.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Суббота, 02.04.2022, 18:19

amasaltsevaДата: Понедельник, 04.04.2022, 23:40 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник

- I guess...
- Personally, I love listening to podcasts, especially, while walking.
- And I...
- Living in 21st century I have a great opportunity, that of a large variety of different audio programs for every taste to listen to.
- Interesting, but still...
- I prefer listening to kind of “educational” podcast on a special platform called “Arzamas”. That is an educational project dedicated to the history of culture.
- Cool...

- You're so beautiful. I can't help falling in love with you.
- Well, thank you, but....
- Do you want to go out for a date?
- No, thank you...
- How about this Friday?
- Oh

- Do you like her?
- No. She thinks too much of herself. That annoys me.
- Me too. Do you remember what happened yesterday? She acted weird...
- Oh yes.

----
Yesterday I was asked whether I had ever faced any communicating problems. Indeed, I have been in some situations which I would call difficult or, sometimes, embarrassing. Once I WERE TALKING with Jim AT CROSS-PURPOSES, we didn’t understand each other at all. It all began when Jim GOT THE WRONG END OF THE STICK. Then he started speaking about a different issue, I COULDN’T GET A WORD IN THE EDGEWAYS or COULDN’T even MAKE A HEAD OR TAIL OF what he was saying. Once I overheard Nick TALKING BEHIND MY BACK, he TALKED DOWN TO ME, he said very unpleasant things to hear.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Суббота, 28.05.2022, 20:29

marichernaya911Дата: Вторник, 05.04.2022, 17:06 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник

- Hello, Tom!

- Hello, Margaret!

- How are you?

- Oh, I’ve got so much to tell you about! You know, yesterday I was at a party at Helena’s new apartment, - it’s so beautiful and well designed! She has a great imagination in interior, so…

- I’m sorry, Mag, I’ve got to go now. The lecture is to start in a minute. See you.

- But… Tom!...

(Tom wrapped up the discussion)

---

- James, so tell us what happened yesterday at Uni?

-  Oh, that was a great event! Everything started early in the morning, when Gilbert met Anny at the door, where she was looking for her keys. When they found out that she had lost it somewhere, he offered her to go back to the station to seek
it there, and Anny was so charmed by his care, that…
/in a whisper/

- Oh, he will be telling it forever!... What finally happened, Mark?

- Well, Anny and Gilbert have fallen in love. Everyone knows it.

- Oh, I could have guessed!

(James is long-winded, and Mark put everything in a nutshell)

----

- Nancy, what do you think about this film?

- Well, Sofi, I like it. I suppose, the director has fully realized his idea in the film.

- Yes, I agree with you! I noticed that the story was thought out to the details.

- And the cast is great – I liked that black-haired girl – she acts so realistically: scenes of joy as well as scenes of that sad separation at the end of the film.

- Yes, I liked her mostly too!

- And the final scene – what a great composition and the color selection!

- Yeah, exactly!

(Nancy speaks Sofi’s mind)

---

As far as I can see, the current talking point among my peers is our future.

It is connected, of course, with the political situation, but mostly with the fact that we are young and we are all standing on the threshold of adulthood. Freedom is ahead. Uncertainty is with it. We can choose any path in our life, try any work and way of living. But how could we know what is right for us and what will be wrong? This fear of future makes all of us anxious sometimes, and we talk about it often with each other.

However, we, Orthodox, have great advantage over all other youth. We know that God rules our fates, and everything happening in our life happens according to God’s Will.

---

A LONG-WINDED person, who says many words in conversation, is often misunderstood, as his listeners can easily be unable to MAKE HEAD OR TAIL OF what he says. Also, it is impossible then to GET A WORD IN EDGEWAYS. So, the good quality for such people is to learn to PUT IT IN A NUTSHELL.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:22

katyadorniakДата: Суббота, 28.05.2022, 01:10 | Сообщение # 9
Полковник

I won't lie, I'm not A LONG-WINDED person, but sometimes I speak behind people's backs. But I do it for very specific purposes.

The thing is, I praise people behind their backs in SMALL TALKS. You have to be very unreasonable to praise people in person. This may be considered flattery and turn into a quarrel. I want to SPEAK my MIND and not be TALKED DOWN to. It is much better to praise someone while he is not listening and not to let anyone GET THE WRONG END OF THE STICK. Then people will think I'm nice and sincere because I say nice things without trying to benefit myself.

However, the benefit in the form of a good name is obvious. That's why I say only good things about the people behind their backs.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

Сообщение отредактировал katyadorniak - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 16:04

vernik04Дата: Четверг, 02.06.2022, 16:50 | Сообщение # 10
Подполковник

I know that it’s not really decent to TALK BEHIND PEOPLE'S BACK, but honestly sometimes I do that. Especially it concerns my ex best friend. TO PUT IT IN A NUTSHELL, one day she just stopped to be my friend without saying anything. We used to hang out together with three other friends of ours. We had a great time and everything was okay. But then we entered the university and she stopped talking with everyone from our group. We COULDN'T MAKE HEAD AND TAIL OF what happened and started talking behind her back. We try not to judge her, respect her decision and not to TALK RUBBISH about her. But it’s hard to TALK SENSE in our situation as well.
Of course, I want to SPEAK MY MIND with her, but I am not sure anymore if I should to do that. We had been friends for ten years, and I was disappointed and even angry with her for what she’s done. Maybe I should’ve GIVEN her a TALKING TO about what happened. However, it’s been two years after we stopped being friends and I think it’s late.

can’t get a word in edgeways & can’t make head and tail of smth
-        So, she’s behaving like she is a queen of the world…
-        Who?
-        …and I told her she’s totally wrong about the situation that…
-        What situation?
-        …happened between her and this guy…
-        What happened? What guy?
-        …she really is a drama queen!
-        Who?

to talk at cross-purposes
-        What did you say to John?

-       I told Tom to leave me alone.
-      And what did John do?
-     Tom left me alone, obviously.

to get the wrong end of the stick
-        You have to pick up our daughter after school and take her to a dancing class and I’m going to walk the dog and buy a new collar for it. Did you get it?
-        Of course, darling.
-        What did I say then?
-        Err… You said to pick up our dog after school and take it to a dancing class and you are going to walk our daughter and buy a new collar for her.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Пятница, 17.06.2022, 13:58

antonryadinskiДата: Суббота, 04.06.2022, 14:07 | Сообщение # 11
Полковник

I think that TALKING SHOP is similar to talking about the weather. That is very neutral theme to talk. Everyone shouldn't TALK SENSE. Some people do not want to talk about personal things, so they prefer to talk about something neutral. I think it's rather good theme if you do not know your acquaintance.

For example, if you are in a situation when you don't want to keep silence you can talk about your work. You don't need to SPEAK YOUR MIND. You just speak about something that won't offend anyone. So, I think some people TALK SHOP because it's a very ordinary theme. Also, you could easily WRAP UP THE DISCUSSION.

Many grown-ups TALK DOWN TO the youth. They think that as they a are older, they can SPEAK THEIR MIND which is always right, while youth TALKS rubbish They also think that they TALK SENSE, while youth doesn’t. But they simply can TALK AT CROSS-PURPOSES. The TALKING POINT of a SMALL TALK  is understood differently by the two sides.

Отредактировано

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Четверг, 16.06.2022, 10:49

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 05.06.2022, 23:28 | Сообщение # 12
Подполковник

This question seemed like a trigger to me because all my peers and acquaintances are talking about only two things now: how tired they are and how they would like to pass the exams as soon as possible.

Also, in our difficult time, everyone is discussing what is happening in Ukraine (although everyone would like not to think about it). And about pleasant things.

Now there are conversations about who would like to spend the summer where, and what they would like to do.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Среда, 08.06.2022, 17:06

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 07.06.2022, 23:59 | Сообщение # 13
Подполковник
Have you ever been talked down to? What is your strategy of coping with the situation?

At school we had a secretary who didn't really like children. She was LONG-WINDED and she always gave students pupils a talking to. She never TALKED SHOP, but always TALKED RUBBISH.
She especially couldn't stand me. If you ask why, I can't give an answer because I just don't know the reason. If I needed school attendance certificate, I had to go to her office. She always SPOKE DOWN to me. At first I didn't care, but then I decided to do something. I noticed that some of my actions MADE her OFF GUARD and she stopped talking down. So, if she began to FIND FAULT with me, then I began to talk about distant topics, paid attention to the interior (for example, I noticed that a flower on the windowsill began to bloom, or that a new picture was hung in the office). It distracted her, at list least she stopped talking WITHOUT SENCE. sense Little compliments also helped me. For example, I noticed her new beads or earrings or a pretty blouse. She immediately got better, became calm and even pleased. If nothing helped, then I lowered my voice,(tough/harsh) this created the feeling that I am not weak, I am not her new victim, but I can protect myself. She also often  reprehended students when they were sitting on a chair while she was standing. It turns out that she literally spoke from top to bottom. I ended up getting up every time she was about to tell me off, and she became less aggressive. (because I'm 20 centimeters taller than her). To put it in nutshell, don’t be afraid to defend yourself, no matter who talks down to you.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Среда, 15.06.2022, 19:24

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 069 Talking and communicating
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024