не предусмотрено.

Вторник, 14.05.2024, 02:12
Приветствую Вас Гость | RSS
Персональный сайт А. В. Аксёнова
Главная | Регистрация | Вход
Unit 009 Idioms describing people - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 009 Idioms describing people
Unit 009 Idioms describing people
readeralexeyДата: Среда, 27.10.2021, 14:13 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
Illustrate the meaning of three idioms you have learned, by describing real-life situations that happened to people you talked about in your oral presentation in class.

yarovaya02Дата: Понедельник, 15.11.2021, 11:23 | Сообщение # 2
Полковник
My friend is:

1) A social butterfly. It is someone who is VERY social and easygoing. My friend is very communicable, she can easily find a common language with another person, she can make them smile and laugh.

My friend is not:

2) A Know-all. It is a person who acts as though he/she knows everything and overwrites the ideas or suggestions of others. Vice versa, my friend supports other people‘s opinions. She can assure that their ideas are wonderful and excellent.

3) A wet blanket. It is a person who spoils other people's fun by failing to join in with or by disapproving of their activities. On the contrary, my friend is a soul of a party. Thanks to her abilities (sociality and cheerfulness) and skills (playing the piano, the guitar, singing), she can easily organize a concert. Once I was invited to her and then she made up a short, but unforgettable performance.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Понедельник, 15.11.2021, 11:24

marichernaya911Дата: Понедельник, 15.11.2021, 20:20 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
1) My roommate is a busy bee. She wakes up at about 5 o’clock, prays, and starts working. She always reads books for her studies, - even while she is in transport or eating her meal. When she is on the way somewhere – to the University or the dormitory – she is listening to audiobooks, lections or learns the foreign words. She never loses time and always does something for her studies. She studies till the latest night, sleeps only few hours, but feels motivated and strong because she loves her studies full-heartedly.

2) My friend often has a travel bug. She is a rock climber. In her free time, when she doesn’t work at the climbing wall in Saint-Petersburg, she travels. Recently she returned from Turkey, where she and her family were passing the Lycian trail. At her latest Birthday she visited Rome, Venice and some Portuguese’s towns and cities. She likes her way of life, and so do I!

3) My friend is a wallflower. At school he behaved in a very calm, respectful and polite way, didn’t speak much. He was an excellent student and coped with his studies at high school and at a music college, where he studied piano. Once we were together at his friend’s musical party. He was still very calm and very polite, but now I saw him behaving in a much more self-confident manner. Then he was asked to play something on the piano. He performed The Serenade by Franz Schubert. And suddenly I understood that he is not really a wallflower, but a warrior, a fighter, as his soul was reflected at his serious and concentrated face. However, after the performance he continued to be calm, respectful and polite, but he wasn’t anymore a wallflower for me.

There was a girl in my class at school, who seemed to be a WHIZZ KID at primary school, and later just proved this assumption. She was A BUSY BEE: she studied at Art school and Musical school at the same time. She was A SHRINKING VIOLET, A WALLFLOWER – so teachers loved her; classmates loved her for her cleverness but thought she is A DARK HORSE.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Вторник, 23.11.2021, 10:44

amasaltsevaДата: Среда, 17.11.2021, 15:46 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
1) A friend of mine appeared to be very unpredictable, so now I can without any doubt call this person a loose cannon. I would never imagine him, a shrinking violet, amiable one, who wouldn’t hurt a fly, as stiff. He is a cold fish! But things happen. One day you realise: there is a whole other side to this person. Now I just need time to get used to it.

2) This person has always been a live wire. I would call her a sociable one for she will always find a cause for a meeting or a hanging out. She will offer you a thousand and one way to spend your time with her, and every suggestion that comes from her would be fascinating. Although sometimes such activity of my “party animal” friend makes me think of problems she may have. What if spending the rest of her time with other people means an endeavour to escape from her deep thoughts.

3) Look at her! Beautiful hazel eyes and charming smile - my friend is more than just an easy on the eye, she is drop-dead gorgeous! But everyone knows, she is not just a pretty face, she is definitely a person of many parts. Ten years ago she was said to be a whizz kid and now I would describe her as a mine of information.

Добавлено (17.11.2021, 23:45)
---------------------------------------------

My cousin Mary is kind of a perfect girl. I would say she is every grandma’s dream. Her main feature is kindness - she really has A HEART OF GOLD. Yesterday she shared her last chocolate bar with a boy who was crying in the street. Indeed, this action is praiseworthy, meritorious. This beautiful creature is always set as an example. Apart from having an opportunity to always KEEP HER HEAD and stay cool, apart from being obedient, diligent, and sympathetic, she has A GOOD HEAD FOR FIGURES. This is already beyond the limits of the possible!

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 23:47

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 14:15 | Сообщение # 5
Подполковник
My sister

My older sister and I are very different, because of this we often do not understand each other. My sister is a very nice and interesting person, but sometimes we quarrel without sharing each other's opinions. But this fact does not prevent me from being sure that her heart's in the right place.

My dad

I always wanted to be like my father. He is hardworking, smart, kind. I still have something from him. What I admire most about him is that he always keeps his head. This is something I should learn.

My mom

My good mom is always a tactful person. I can say a lot of words about how good she is. But I'd rather say she's never been a pain in the neck.
This is really an important quality!

1) I've always been attracted to strange people. So if you're AN ODD-BALL, then we'll be friends.
2) At school, my friend always helped me with math because she has A GOOD HEAD FOR FIGURES.
3) As a child, she had few friends because she was A BIT OF A BIG-HEAD and no one wanted to share toys with her.

Сообщение отредактировал tsvioletta17 - Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 14:16

amasaltsevaДата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 22:25 | Сообщение # 6
Полковник
My friend Mark is not an easy person. On the one hand, he is very nice. Without any doubt I can say he HAS A HEART OF GOLD: he is very kind and generous and will always help you. Also, Mark is a PERSON OF MANY PARTS. Indeed, he is not a WET BLANKET! And finally, he is very engaging and, to tell the truth, quite EASY ON THE EYE. On the other hand, sometimes he can be A LOOSE CANNON. I was a bit disappointed when I realized that he is a bit arrogant, and such a COLD FISH.

sasavasl15Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 23:51 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
My friend is

1) a busy bee, he is a hardworking, busy man who is never lazy, always working on something.

2) A person of many parts - a versatile person who is multi-faceted personality.

3) А whizz kid - Prodigy, the man who as a young man, knows a lot of useful information and has a great experience.

My friend is not:

4) A wet blanket - a boring person who spoils the cheerful mood.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Воскресенье, 12.12.2021, 19:33

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 01:03 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
1. My boyfriend has a heart of gold. He is very kind and generous, he is ready to support me in any situation, say something nice to cheer me up or just take care of me. I am proud of him and look up to him, because he clearly has more kindness than me.

2. My boyfriend can keep his head. I mean, if something doesn't go according to plan, he will stay collected and calm. He's not the kind of person who panics. I remember one day we were walking and a man fainted in front of us on the street. My boyfriend did not lose his head and took all measures to help the person and called an ambulance.

3. My boyfriend is not an awkward customer. Anyone can find a common language with him, because he is sociable, simple and friendly.

veronikachernykh15Дата: Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 04:51 | Сообщение # 9
Майор
1) My mom is a busy bee. She always sets an example for us how work should be done. All family members consider that our mom doesn't know the word "lazy". My mom works 6 days a week and always makes up new projects and improves her skills with the help of reading a lot.

2) My best friend is a mine of information. She always comes up with amazing ideas and thoughts. She watches a lot of films and reads a great amount of books. To have a conversation with her is enjoyable and can enlarge your knowledge in different spheres.

3) My sister is a cold fish. She never pays attention to our requests. She can do whatever she wants. For instance she can sing, play the piano or talk on the phone loudly when I ask her to be quiet.

1) I CAN'T STAND people who don't respect my personal boundaries. Of course it doesn't refer to the people with whom I GET ON WELL. With friends or family members who I ADMIRE, I can be an open person. But I DON'T SEE EYE TO EYE with people who share all their secrets after getting acquainted.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 04:52

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Суббота, 11.12.2021, 13:05 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник
Each of us has a friend who is AN AWKWARD CUSTOMER. It seems to me that for a better contact with such a person, you need TO HAVE A HEART OF GOLD. Perhaps, in this case, you will turn your friend into a person about whom you can say: "He is AS GOOD AS GOLD".

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 009 Idioms describing people
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024