Unit 14 Education - Форум

[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 14 Education
Unit 14 Education
readeralexeyДата: Пятница, 03.09.2021, 12:15 | Сообщение # 1
Генерал-майор
Статус: Offline
1. What can you remember from being in a crèche?

2. My experiences in the nursery school: hell, purgatory, or paradise?

3. Would you rather start going to school at an earlier or at a later age than you actually did? Why?

4. One thing I liked and one thing I hated in the primary school.

5. What works of literature would you add to secondary school curriculum, and what would you detract?

6. Going to college after 9th grade: pros and cons.

7. My most memorable end-of-year exam at school.

8. My experience with a LMS (Learning Management System) or a VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) at school: a help or a distraction?

posternaksophieДата: Пятница, 03.09.2021, 13:14 | Сообщение # 2
Подполковник
It is often believed that some works of literature studied in secondary school curriculum are excessive and, on the contrary, some people say that curriculum lacks some literature works.

If I could add literature to the curriculum I would choose some books from the English literature, like Shakespeare’s comedies and some poems, as "Romeo and Juliet" does not provide a sufficient overview of Shakespeare's art. Although some teachers and parents might be against, I would also substitute Tolstoy’s tedious "War and Peace" with more moving and relevant "Anna Karenina".

Karamzin’s "Poor Liza" never appealed to me and I would detract it without thinking as it is so boring and generally pointless.

Had I an opportunity to change the curriculum, I would also add more of Dostoevskiy’s books instead of Nekrasov’s poetry.

However, most importantly, it is vital to encourage students to read books outside the school programme on their own accord. Self development is often neglected in the modern school system and that is one of the biggest problems of school education.

Сообщение отредактировал posternaksophie - Вторник, 16.11.2021, 12:42

antonryadinskiДата: Среда, 08.09.2021, 20:53 | Сообщение # 3
Полковник
Well, if I had a power to change secondary school curriculum, I would definitely do it. Nowadays pupils study only Russian literature, they don’t study foreign literature at all. That’s a pity because they  miss so much.

Thus, I would add some classical authors to the school program. I would suggest to study Dante, Petrarch, William Shakespeare, Jonathan Swift, Wilde and other authors whose works are easy to understand. And I would detract so many works of Russian writers such as "War and Peace" by Tolstoy or works of Dostoevsky. These works are very difficult to comprehend and it would be better if pupils read the shorter works of these authors.

I would also add ancient literature to secondary school curriculum. I think that a small amount of classical literature would help pupils to understand modern literature better.

Сообщение отредактировал antonryadinski - Понедельник, 29.11.2021, 13:03

tsumskaa30Дата: Среда, 08.09.2021, 20:55 | Сообщение # 4
Полковник
1. What can you remember from being in a crèche?

For many children life begins with a crèche as their parents don’t have an opportunity to stay at home because they have to work hard to ensure their kids’ decent existence. And so it happened to me.

First of all, I remember that, being a child, I just couldn’t understand why my mother wanted to leave me with some alien women in the kindergarten. I was really shy and afraid of strangers. Therefore, I started crying every time my mother left me. I could cry all day long, in spite of the adult’s assurance that my tears would run out if I didn’t stop my hysterics.

To tell the truth, I hated the crèche. There was one boy that disturbed me from sleeping after lunch. He made fun of me taking away my pillow when I tried to sleep. However, our nanny was sure that it was always my fault. That’s why she made me stay in a corner as a punishment.

Moreover, in winter, I liked to eat snow during our walks just as all kids did. Of course, I was told that this action wasn’t right, but I continued doing it. Once the nanny saw it and decided to punish me so that I could realise my mistake. She brought some snow in a bucket and gave it to me instead of dinner. I was insulted and didn’t know what to say. It was one of my first life lessons.

The most disgusting thing was when the nanny tried to persuade me to eat laminaria. I couldn’t bear it because I felt sick. Although all the children were already in their beds, I was sitting and looking at the laminaria.

To conclude, I agree that for many children crèche and kindergarten is the happiest period in their lives, but, unfortunately, not for me. If I have kids, I will try to find a job which allows me to stay with my children at home.

Сообщение отредактировал tsumskaa30 - Воскресенье, 07.11.2021, 12:50

katyadorniakДата: Вторник, 16.11.2021, 00:13 | Сообщение # 5
Полковник
2. My experiences in the nursery school: hell, purgatory, or paradise?

To tell the truth, I was what they call a "non-nursery school child". The need to send me there
arose when my younger brother was born. I was spoiled, capricious and absolutely did not know how to make friends. Such place as nursery school was definitely not what I might have liked. But my parents promised me a live parrot for my Birthday. I was powerless against such bribery.
Thus, the nursery school turned out to be literally purgatory for me: for the couple of months valiantly staying there, I received the most coveted award.

3 . Would you rather start going to school at an earlier or at a later age than you actually did? Why?

I started school in 2008 when I was seven years old. In December of that year I turned eight. It turns out that I went to school not too early, but also not too late. In fact, I wouldn't change anything. Due to the fact that I turned 18 in my senior year, I received all the responsibilities and bonuses of majority simultaneously with graduation from school. The transition was harmoniously completed.

I think the only problem with sending a child to school later than earlier is condemnation and
misunderstanding of others. It is much more dangerous to send a child to school too early - it ruins one’s childhood and does more harm than good.

EkaterinaDolzhenkova

anastasiadregan864Дата: Вторник, 30.11.2021, 12:41 | Сообщение # 6
Подполковник
1.  What can you remember from being in a crèche?

Perhaps many people no longer remember the period when they were in a crèche. However, I perfectly remember that wonderful, joyful, and happy time. I woke up every day with a smile on my face and couldn't wait to leave the house. I was happy to meet my friends, childminders and security guards. We had delicious lunches, afternoon tea and snacks. We often walked in groups, visited parks and concerts. I loved my childminder Marina Vladimirovna very much, she was a very kind, attentive and wonderful person. I am very grateful to her for her care and love. Perhaps she is one of the reasons why my memories of the crèche are so warm and bright.

I loved elementary school. It was a kind and carefree
time. I remember our concerts especially well. We sang, danced, acted out different scenes, told poems and gave our parents drawings. However, there was one thing that all the students couldn't stand, and that was our school cafeteria. Eating soup was a real punishment, and if an omelet was given for lunch, then the day was previously spoiled. When I remember it, a tear comes to my eye. Thankfully in high school everything changed: the food became delicious, the cooks were  friendly, and the students were well-fed and satisfied.

Сообщение отредактировал readeralexey - Четверг, 02.12.2021, 12:55

yarovaya02Дата: Среда, 01.12.2021, 11:37 | Сообщение # 7
Полковник
There are some pros and cons of going to college after 9th grade.

In my opinion, this topic is ambiguous. On the one hand, leaving school after 9th year opens doors to colleges, graduating which a person can be a mechanic, a nurse or a cook. Those are trades and professions which are necessary in our life, we can’t even imagine weekdays without comfortable conditions: heating, warm water, good lunch in a canteen.

On the other hand, entering college lacks advantage of high education, which is a golden opportunity to become a doctor, a teacher, an interpreter, a scientist or a philologist.

Thus although there are drawbacks of entering college, nevertheless its graduates do significant work for us.

Добавлено (01.12.2021, 11:40)
---------------------------------------------
There are PRIMARY SCHOOLS for children from 5 to 11 in England. COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL is for children by 16 years old. A SIXTH FORM COLLEGE attend children from 16 to 18, after each year pupils TAKE END-OF-YEAR EXAM.

Сообщение отредактировал yarovaya02 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 09:35

amasaltsevaДата: Среда, 01.12.2021, 23:58 | Сообщение # 8
Полковник
Some of my friends were very surprised when I said that I used to attend CRECHE. I was startled too after I realised they have never gone to NURSERY SCHOOL. Mostly they all started their education in PRIMARY SCHOOL.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Среда, 01.12.2021, 23:58

vernik04Дата: Четверг, 02.12.2021, 00:28 | Сообщение # 9
Подполковник

When I was in primary school, I experienced one of the best periods of my life. I was actually happy to wake up early in the morning and go to school. There are more than one thing that I liked. There were great classmates who were my friends, excellent food which was better than mom's, first-rate teachers. The primary school was truly my second home. I did love to study. After leaving school I've never had that kind of desire for learning. I'm lucky indeed that the time in the primary school was so happy. I had a lot of fun there. I suppose the only thing I hated about the primary school is that I had to leave it.

END-OF-YEAR EXAMS are going to be very difficult and tiring for me. I've SKIPPED some CLASSES this semester, so now I had to study harder to DO WELL. Otherwise, I'll have to RESIT the exams after the winter holidays.

Сообщение отредактировал vernik04 - Пятница, 03.12.2021, 15:02

sasavasl15Дата: Четверг, 02.12.2021, 12:14 | Сообщение # 10
Полковник

If we talk about the most memorable end-of-year exam at school, then the first thing that comes to my mind is the ЕГЭ. But everyone took this exam, so I want to tell you about another exam.

At the end of ninth year of study,
 in addition to the ОГЭ, my school did an exam in the Church Slavonic language, which we studied from the first grade. This exam was like going to university - with exam papers, a practical part and grades. We went into a class of five people, took an exam paper and prepared to answer.

On the one hand, I was very calm about the exam, I was confident in my knowledge and abilities, and the subject was very interesting for me, but on the other hand, I was afraid to get a low grade. My brother and I have been preparing for a very long time, we knew every topic well. And I got 5. I still remember the topic that I got. I had to tell the story of the appearance of writing in Russia and its development, and in the second part I told about masculine nouns of the third declension.

--------------------------------------------------------
(sentences for this unit)

1. When I was at school, I sometimes SKIPPED CLASSES.
2. Studying in the first year of university, in the first semester we were transferred to DISTANCE LEARNING.
3. When SUBMITTING your work to the teacher, always check whether you have sent the correct file.

Сообщение отредактировал sasavasl15 - Воскресенье, 12.12.2021, 19:45

tsvioletta17Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 14:44 | Сообщение # 11
Подполковник

Well, when I saw this topic I immediately remembered my literature exam after the 11th grade. Let me tell you this story.

It was the year the first quarantine happened. I caught myself late and started preparing a couple of months before the exam. My school was closed, and I didn't do very well to prepare myself. I'm stubborn, so I didn't even read all the necessary literary works, since they were not interesting to me, but I realized that they could easily get caught by me on the exam.

I made myself a bunch of cheat sheets in the hope that they would help me. I was terribly nervous, but when they gave me my assignment, I breathed a sigh of relief. There was everything I knew and read, what a luck!

I sat and diligently answered questions and wrote essays. Having written everything on a draft, I was going to rewrite everything on the exam sheet. But at that moment it dawned on me that I had mixed up the names of literary heroes. I thought this very timely! If I hadn't corrected my mistake, likely I would have received few points for that task. Cheat sheets didn't come in handy for me by the way.

marichernaya911Дата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 19:33 | Сообщение # 12
Полковник
3. Would you rather start going to school at an earlier or at a later age than you actually did? Why?

I have always dreamed about going to school a year earlier! However, I entered school at the age of 7, turned 8 in February in the first grade, and finished school at the age of 18.

I'd better gone to school a year earlier, then I would have been able to finish it a year earlier, and grow up quicker.

Moreover, at school I communicated better with the high-school students than with my classmates, so I often regretted that I didn't study a grade further.

Anyway, everything happens as it has to be, so I feel gratitude for the experience I got at school studying at my age.

6. Going to college after 9th grade: pros and cons.

When I studied at art school, I thought about becoming an artist and going to college after the 9th grade for this.

At that time I thought a lot about the pros and cons of studying in college after the 9th grade. Here are some of them.

If after the 9th grade a student knows exactly what he wants to do in life and there are courses of his profession in colleges and technical schools, the decision to leave school and go to college can be very right because, in this case, he or she will be engaged mostly in the items he
 needs to master his profession. A student will have more practice within fewer years of studying. Also, it is far easier to enter the University after college than after school.

However, the minuses of this decision are evident. Firstly, the choice of professions is quite small. Secondly, many employers require a higher education diploma when applying for a job, and the specialized secondary education is insufficient. And thirdly, many students after the 9th grade are not yet ready to live independently, so it may be a problem for them, and their study may go wrong.

---------------------------------------
I have been studied in a COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL, one of the best of this kind. At the same time, there was A GRAMMAR SCHOOL nearby mine, which was the best school in the district. There was always a confrontation and competition between them. However, students of these two schools passed THE UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE EXAMS better than anywhere in the district.

+ My friend used to SIT her EXAM having a day for rest the day before. At the same time, most of the students don't sleep at all before TAKING their EXAMS. Maybe that - being exhausted - is the reason they RESIT EXAMS?

+ Preparing to my END-OF-YEAR EXAMS I used to SKIP CLASSES at school for preparing to them. I dreamt about PASSING them and DOING WELL. It was very hard, but finally I GAINED ADMISSION by the results of my exams, and started HIGHER EDUCATION.

Сообщение отредактировал marichernaya911 - Четверг, 09.12.2021, 19:42

amasaltsevaДата: Воскресенье, 05.12.2021, 22:42 | Сообщение # 13
Полковник

I guess, for many students the most memorable end-of-year exam was the school-leaving exam, “ЕГЭ”. I’m not an exception: the memory of it is still vivid. Being a University student for more than a year I might have chosen Summer session as the most difficult examination I have ever taken. However,  I have named “ЕГЭ”. Doing this exam was easier than taking exams in the University, but it was more memorable as taking it was emotionally harder than anything I have done before.

Taking literature was the most stressful of all because it was something I felt would “decide my fate”. (It was my main subject.) Then I was thinking: "Whom will I be? Will my mark be high enough to enter the University and to study for free? " I suggest it's not hard for a  person who has ever taken "ЕГЭ" to  imagine how nervous I was on the day of the exam. In the morning I felt completely broken. Fortunately, everything was OK, but that wasn’t an end of my kind of “misery”. Waiting for the results was much, much worse…

When I was studying at PRIMARY SCHOOL I used to attend every single class and never SKIPPED anything, I was doing all the homework and always PASSED my exams and never RESAT them. Then I did it as I was too diligent, assiduous, kind of a "good girl".  I can even call this teenage version of myself timorous, and shy, and sometimes I was such a wet blanket! I wasn’t obstinate enough to miss lessons, and thought that skipping classes is something scary and strictly forbidden. But I’ve grown up and have changed greatly, although I continue attending every class. But for another reason. I perceive my studies differently. I realize that I am getting higher education. Everything that is given to me "shapes" me as a future professional.

Сообщение отредактировал amasaltseva - Среда, 08.12.2021, 20:21

ulyana_kazakovaДата: Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 00:50 | Сообщение # 14
Полковник

I have an older brother, when I was in primary school, he was already in high school, he had a lot of friends who I thought were incredibly cool. And the most pleasant thing for me was that thanks to my brother, his friends treated me with respect, they greeted me in the school corridors, chatted with me at recess. Of course, every child will be flattered by the fact that the elders, whom you, roughly speaking, look up to, pay attention to you. Words cannot express how proud I was at such moments.

I can say with confidence that the most hated thing for me at that time was porridge for breakfast in the school cafeteria. I've never been picky, but after listening to the stories of high school students about how they almost choked on cockroaches that were found in porridge, I lost my appetite for a long time. To tell the truth, after some time hunger won, but I never started eating porridge, they were replaced by sandwiches and apples.

veronikachernykh15Дата: Понедельник, 06.12.2021, 05:15 | Сообщение # 15
Майор

The most memorable end-of-year exam at school for me was the Russian language. I've never paid much attention to it at school because I've never had problems with spelling. But in the 11th grade I found out that I have big problems with tests. In December I managed to get only 60 points out of 100. I was shocked and didn't have a clue what to do. But after a while, I lost my motivation to study Russian again. Then in January the story repeated itself. After this I decided to go to the online school to prepare well for my exam. But there was one problem - I had only four months to learn the whole material. But, fortunately, pandemic started and I had more spare time then before. In May and June I wrote an essay and completed Russian tests every single day - as the result - I managed to get 100 points out of 100!

I have experience of studying at a COMPREHENSIVE and at a PUBLIC school. In the comprehensive school teachers and students are not interested much in the quality of education. I used to SKIP a lot of CLASSES due to playing the piano on a high level. So my family and I decided to try DISTANCE LEARNING. This taught me well to become more independent and to manage my time wiser. Then I went to the public school. The rules there were strict and I had to PASS hard EXAMS every winter and summer but I found there a lot of friends and expanded my knowledge.

Сообщение отредактировал veronikachernykh15 - Среда, 08.12.2021, 20:03

Форум » Общая лексика » EVU Upper-Intermediate » Unit 14 Education
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024